Dangerous Music Source DAC
May 15, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #31 of 309
The headphone amp is delicious, but try to plug rca interconnects into the line out on the back of the Source once. They wont fit.  In the manual it states these are TS connectors. I found Mogami and monster TS to RCA interconnects. In the pictures the TS side looks like a 1/4" headphone plug. This is the first time I've ever run into this connector for a stereo connection.

Not sure what you're feeding from the Source but make use of the XLR balanced outs if you can...

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #32 of 309
I have been looking for a desktop AMP/DAC and the source looks like a bargain considering the connectors and AMP/DAC combination.

Can anyone confirm if the balanced output connectors of the source can be used with headphones with balanced cable (e.g. BeyerDynamic T1). The outputs are labeled speaker outs so I'm not sure if you can pug in headphones there as well. if this can be used for headphones then I think this is a very good DAC/AMP combo for the price and extra stuff you can do with it.

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #33 of 309
The balanced outputs are a line level(preamp) volume controlled output. Interesting idea though, but its not an amplifier output like the 1/4" headphone taps. I imagine its optimized for 22k+ input impedances. Er, that's typically the lower end of unbalanced input impedance, not sure what balanced usually is.

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #34 of 309
I have been looking for a desktop AMP/DAC and the source looks like a bargain considering the connectors and AMP/DAC combination.

Can anyone confirm if the balanced output connectors of the source can be used with headphones with balanced cable (e.g. BeyerDynamic T1). The outputs are labeled speaker outs so I'm not sure if you can pug in headphones there as well. if this can be used for headphones then I think this is a very good DAC/AMP combo for the price and extra stuff you can do with it.

I definitely feel like I got a good value in my Source.

Hit up the DM Team, they're normally pretty responsive:

http://www.dangerousmusic.com/support

US Office

Dangerous Music
231 Stevens Rd.
Edmeston, NY 13335
info@dangerousmusic.com Tel: 845-202-5100
Fax: 607-965-8012

EUROPE Office

Dangerous Music Europe
www.dangerousmusic.deinfo@dangerousmusic.de Tel: +49 2236 393731
Fax: +49 2236 393732

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #35 of 309
  The balanced outputs are a line level(preamp) volume controlled output. Interesting idea though, but its not an amplifier output like the 1/4" headphone taps. I imagine its optimized for 22k+ input impedances. Er, that's typically the lower end of unbalanced input impedance, not sure what balanced usually is.

Thanks for the comment

I definitely feel like I got a good value in my Source.

Hit up the DM Team, they're normally pretty responsive:

http://www.dangerousmusic.com/support

US Office

Dangerous Music
231 Stevens Rd.
Edmeston, NY 13335
info@dangerousmusic.com Tel: 845-202-5100
Fax: 607-965-8012

EUROPE Office

Dangerous Music Europe
www.dangerousmusic.deinfo@dangerousmusic.de Tel: +49 2236 393731
Fax: +49 2236 393732

Sure will try their support. I initially shoot a mail to their sales but I have not gotten a reply.

If the source can drive headphones in balanced mode this is truly a steal.

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #36 of 309
2 newish reviews:

http://dangerousmusic.com/media/pro-sound-source-product-test-pdf.pdf

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun13/articles/dangerous-source.htm

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #37 of 309
Hi Glam Bash,

I've noticed you have the same DAC I do, and after reading your post about the line level outputs of the Dangerous Music Source I was wondering if that could be cause of my computer-based music playback problems?!

The "problems", to make a long story short, are the loud, insane glitches, pops, crackles during playback.

More details at http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/826789-loud-hiccups-during-playback.html

I'm using a cable from the Source's Selected Line Out (TRS) to the Primare I32 integrated amplifier's XLR analog input. Both the XLR and RCA analog input in the preamplifier have a 26k ohms impedance.

Now, is there incompatibility here? Causing those loud glitches and pops?

Best regards,
Jose

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #38 of 309
I have to run direct sound off JRiver when I am running multiple audio sources at the same time through my pc. If I run asio output and another source kicks in I get the static/giltches/hiccups you speak of. I think this is the problem you are having. I tried to duplicate this in wasapi, but the centrance driver seems to be setup for asio.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #39 of 309
If you "have to run direct sound off JRiver" then you're not having a bitperfect playback. I've switch off any system sounds and setup JRiver Media Center to be the only software using the Source. Yet, no matter what I use - WASAPI or ASIO - I still get those insanely loud glitches and pops!

I even tried to use the Source without the CEntrance ASIO driver, as I believe WASAPI is well capable of bitperfect playback. The problem is that without the CEntrace driver the operating system (Windows 7) doesn't recognize the Source.

Maybe, USB audio is not ready, yet, as some folks assert, compared to say, Firewire or S/PDIF.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #40 of 309
Correct. Direct sound is not bit perfect. However, when I need to run pigeon and teamspeak/mumble I switch to direct sound to avoid those disturbing noises. The only instances I encountered these glitchy sounds were when I was getting pinged on pigeon or if windows os sounds kicked in. When I am only listening to music via asio output I do not encounter this problem. If you are not running other programs with sound??? I do run a usb ground isolator/dedicated power supply brick. Is it possible you are getting computer noise through your usb?

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #41 of 309
Well, it is possible I'm getting computer noise through USB port. Or IRQ sharing conflict. Or... I've almost exhausted all my "resources" to find out the problem and the solution for my computer-based playback system problem (to the point I have put it on-hold for the last months and revert to the old and trusty traditional system: insert the CD and press Play button).

Glam, could you please detail your "usb ground isolator/dedicated power supply brick". Maybe, it could be the solution.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #42 of 309
I use a vaunix powered hub. I hope the link comes through ok. http://vaunix.com/products/high-quality-usb-hub/overview.cfm
However, I wonder if this isn't a Jriver problem. I used Winamp until recently(thanks for killing a decent media player AOL) and NEVER had any glitch/noise problems through the dangerous source. I downloaded the Makio wasapi plugin for hi res music and it was plug n play. One thing I noticed with the noise after switching to Jriver was that the spdif output had been selected in the system volume control instead of the centrance usb speakers which must have changed when I re-booted. The other change I made in Jriver was to select application volume instead of system volume. After that I made a few changes to the pre-buffer times to avoid the occasional dropout. Asio output is playing nicely while I type this. I would investigate the Jriver forums for noise issues associated with asio output before you spend a penny on a usb isolator.

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #43 of 309
I just wanted to share my experience with the Source. I tried multiple DAC/Amp combos before the source including the Emotiva XDA-2, Emotiva DC-1, and the Burson HA-160DS. The Source completely trounces all of them in the amp category. I have not isolated the DAC functions for each, but as a combined unit the Source has a much fuller sound, with a much larger soundstage. It does sound a bit on the warm side when compared to the DC-1 and the Burson, but I think it sounds fantastic. All of the other amps left me wanting more power, but the Source delivers in that area as well. With LCD-3's and HD800's, I never run the volume past 3/4 or it is painfully loud (and I like my music LOUD). It also seems distortion free on the high end as well. 

I am not sure if I am driving the LCD-3's to their potential (I have now sold the HD800's), but I can tell you that they sound DAMN good on the Source. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #44 of 309
  I just wanted to share my experience with the Source. I tried multiple DAC/Amp combos before the source including the Emotiva XDA-2, Emotiva DC-1, and the Burson HA-160DS. The Source completely trounces all of them in the amp category. I have not isolated the DAC functions for each, but as a combined unit the Source has a much fuller sound, with a much larger soundstage. It does sound a bit on the warm side when compared to the DC-1 and the Burson, but I think it sounds fantastic. All of the other amps left me wanting more power, but the Source delivers in that area as well. With LCD-3's and HD800's, I never run the volume past 3/4 or it is painfully loud (and I like my music LOUD). It also seems distortion free on the high end as well. 

I am not sure if I am driving the LCD-3's to their potential (I have now sold the HD800's), but I can tell you that they sound DAMN good on the Source. 

I couldn't agree more.  The DS has the best integrated amp of any DAC I've tried, and the DAC is superb. With the LCD-Xs, the DS amp sounds completely neutral, it has great detail and dynamics, and the sound is super clean. the only thing that separates it from a high end amp is the reduced size of the soundstage--and it's not night and day. Considering the LCD-3 has an intimate soundstage, you might not even notice much of a difference with a high-end neutral SS amp. I can say that the DS pairs at a very high level with the LCD-Xs and you need to spend some serious money on a separate amp before you start hearing improvements.

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #45 of 309
I'm glad you have had the same experience. Gary had a similar experience with the Source not having quite the soundstage of his amp (an Odyssey Cyclops) - and I don't doubt for a second that the soundstage is improved on other amps. What I will say, is that in comparison to the other Amp/DAC combos I have tried the soundstage is vastly improved. 

I was skeptical about the Source, being that Dangerous focuses on mixing and studio equipment - but I have been extremely pleased. I have been considering upgrading to a separate amp, but I'm really just not sure if it would even be worth it. I know I would have to spend at least $1000 on an amp to get any improvements, and possibly a great deal more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back