Dangerous Music Source DAC
Mar 7, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #61 of 309

I A/B'd the M51 against the source--they sound 99% identical and I doubt anyone could tell them apart in a blind test. The DS has more features and the best amp I've ever head in a DAC. Enjoy.

Yeah it's quite high end for $1000. Exceptional off of the USB. I still don't know how they managed to throw everything in for $1000 and still make it sound at the same level as other high end DACs. I love the presentation of this. Not laid back, not too aggressive. It's in the middle yet still engaging. They pulled it off just right. The bass is very tight with the D2000. I was coming the Marantz PM6004 with tone control and Fiio E10 for the D2000, so the bass was a bit thicker, although not as precise as the Source. I'm already getting adjusted to it. The treble is the hardest thing to get right. All the details and air without sounding aggressive.

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #62 of 309
I take it back. This is a beast in the bass as well. Really, really dependent on the source material. The headphone amp can easily please a basshead if the source file are well made. I think this is the best value purchase I've made since the HE-500.

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #64 of 309
This looks interesting, what DAC chip does it use?

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #65 of 309
  Glad you are enjoying it! While you can obviously get better sound quality, it seems unlikely you can do better for the price.

Yeah, it's great value right off the start. Wonder how sound will change after burn in. I'm really liking the KRK KNS 8400 on this. Less bass than D2000s, but very balanced and easier on the ears over the D2000.

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #68 of 309

The FAQ on the support site says Burr Brown PCM1789PW

Thanks, I looked around but couldn't find it. Must've missed it somehow.

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #70 of 309
My DM Source shipped with an approx 2 foot USB cable.  Nothing special.  Prob comparable to an Amazon.com cable so if you don't get one w/ your unit, well, who cares (besides a potential procurement delay).

Continue to enjoy the Source since day 1.  Very stable unit.

Have been considering/researching a USB cable upgrade.  Many of us have been there, right?  Should be able to get a USB cable sub-$100 that minimizes a USB "weakness" in the chain?  Or can a $20+ cable even make a difference? - that's a whole 'nother thread all together.  I work next to a high end audio vendor in Carlsbad, CA.  They offered to lend me demo USB cables so will prob take them up on their offer....

My DM Source listening time has been heavily weighted on the monitor side (90% monitor + vs headphone listening on Grado MS2i). Source and Dynaudio monitors dominate in tandem.  2 of the best investments I've ever made.

re: the HP amp side of the DMS.  Sounds fine to me.  Think my main issue in the HP chain is wanting the Grado MS2i to be warmer vs bright.  that's a HP issue vs DMS issue.....

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #71 of 309
  My DM Source shipped with an approx 2 foot USB cable.  Nothing special.  Prob comparable to an Amazon.com cable so if you don't get one w/ your unit, well, who cares (besides a potential procurement delay).

Continue to enjoy the Source since day 1.  Very stable unit.

Have been considering/researching a USB cable upgrade.  Many of us have been there, right?  Should be able to get a USB cable sub-$100 that minimizes a USB "weakness" in the chain?  Or can a $20+ cable even make a difference? - that's a whole 'nother thread all together.  I work next to a high end audio vendor in Carlsbad, CA.  They offered to lend me demo USB cables so will prob take them up on their offer....

My DM Source listening time has been heavily weighted on the monitor side (90% monitor + vs headphone listening on Grado MS2i). Source and Dynaudio monitors dominate in tandem.  2 of the best investments I've ever made.

re: the HP amp side of the DMS.  Sounds fine to me.  Think my main issue in the HP chain is wanting the Grado MS2i to be warmer vs bright.  that's a HP issue vs DMS issue.....

I contact the guys at DM regarding cables. They do prefer good stuff like Mogami for their interconnects, so I picked up those. Although for USB cable they said that the packaged USB will work just fine and there isn't any need for any upgraded USB cable. I was quite specific and that was their answer. If you can demo for free, go for it, but I don't think it will make much of a difference.

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #72 of 309

I contact the guys at DM regarding cables. They do prefer good stuff like Mogami for their interconnects, so I picked up those. Although for USB cable they said that the packaged USB will work just fine and there isn't any need for any upgraded USB cable. I was quite specific and that was their answer. If you can demo for free, go for it, but I don't think it will make much of a difference.

Yes, Zoom, I contacted the Source team as well about the USB cable link and Bob responded to me:

"Use the cable that comes with it!"

personally, i think the most likely weakest link in the audio chain for many is the caliber of their tunes!

needs more of this:

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #73 of 309
Like that Dublicator tune. Agree with you on that. Music first, gear second.

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #74 of 309
I'm not sure if there was a burn in or not or that I simply got accustomed to it, but I like the sound more than day 1. It's more smoother while retaining all of it's punch and attack. It polished out the FR in all the right places for me. Love it with both headphones and my monitors. Don't notice any weird or uneven changes in volume level on both headphones and monitors. No loss of sound quality at all. Just decreasing volume, as it's supposed to do.

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #75 of 309
You all still enjoying your Source? I'm close to taking the plunge but I want a DAC/AMP that will last me for the forseeable future. I use Senn HD600 so 300ohm but also Grado PS500s which are 32ohm. I need preamp feature for powered monitors. I like the possibility of controlling sub with second speaker connect too. I listen mostly to alt rock and classic rock with a smattering of many other genres. Lastly, I will be using it on a Windows 8 box  via USB. Communication from Dangerous Music indicates "The driver we currently have available is the latest version and it was designed with W8 in mind."

My current DAC/AMP setup is an Asus STX (Win7/64) to a Schiit Vali. It sounds very good to my ear. Any additional thoughts on your purchase?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back