Dangerous Music Source DAC
Feb 14, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #46 of 309
  I'm glad you have had the same experience. Gary had a similar experience with the Source not having quite the soundstage of his amp (an Odyssey Cyclops) - and I don't doubt for a second that the soundstage is improved on other amps. What I will say, is that in comparison to the other Amp/DAC combos I have tried the soundstage is vastly improved. 

I was skeptical about the Source, being that Dangerous focuses on mixing and studio equipment - but I have been extremely pleased. I have been considering upgrading to a separate amp, but I'm really just not sure if it would even be worth it. I know I would have to spend at least $1000 on an amp to get any improvementto hears, and possibly a great deal more.

Gary's DAC comparo is when I got a chance to hear the DS and I liked it a lot. I'm still thinking about getting one, so I can move around my house with a reasonably portable DAC/amp, and I periodically produce live events--it's a Swiss army knife of DAC/monitoring tools. I'd say $1000 is right as the buy-in before you start to hear significant improvements--and it means a large heavy amp with oversized transformers and capacitors.

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #47 of 309
Was thinking of getting the Emotiva DC-1 to save money, but after reading the reviews and the sheer features, I'm so close to getting one.

Headphone amp: Got rid of all my planars. Going to be driving KRK KNS 8400 and Denon AH-D2000. They both should play well on it. Might go back into headphones one day with TH-900. Hopefully that will be a good match as well.

Monitor Controller: Thinking of getting studio monitors and maybe a sub. Genelecs so far at top in consideration. With the Source, I can turn the sub on and off without having to reroute cables or manually turning the sub off. I've heard that this is a solid controller for monitors. So that's why the DC-1 is pretty much out.

DAC/Sound Quality: Haven't found anything bad on it. All positive.

Can't think of a reason to not get it. Anybody in Canada that has it? Price wise?

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #48 of 309
Quick question: How long is the included USB cable and any need for upgrading that? I'm hoping it's a clean simple digital cable that doesn't dictate any upgraded cables like in the analog world.

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #49 of 309
Can someone tell me what cables/adapters I would need if I wanted to hook my Marantz CD5004 (has both coaxial and optical) to the Source, or even a PS3.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #52 of 309
  My source did not come with an included USB cable. I started off with a cheapie, then upgraded it to a fully shielded cable. I cannot tell a difference.

What....They lied then. "a USB 2.0 compliant cable" ----- screenshot from their manual.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #53 of 309
Also, for Canadians: http://www.pashop.com/products/detail/Dangerous-Music/Source/

Going for $899 with free shipping. Lowest price I've found so far in Canada (thanks to shopbot.ca). For Americans, it's been standard at that price. However for Canadians with the crappy dollar, this is actually a decent find.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #54 of 309
Order confirmed. Just barely over a $1000 CAD including taxes (free shipping) from PAShop.

Can others confirm if they got a USB included in their box or not?

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #55 of 309
Turned out to be true good. They forgot to update their price. Had to cancel and order it from another place. Got a good deal on Mogami Gold XLRs for hooking up monitors. Third vendor so far. This source better be that damn good!!!

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #58 of 309
Cool. I will just wait for my package to come and then act accordingly. I think I have a similar connection which I use with my printer. Might steal that for time being. I sent the guys at DM an email on their stance on cable. For interconnects, they actually do want people to use high quality stuff like Mogami and they very explicitly state that analog cables make a difference. However, not clear on the digital side of things.

I think Schiit's the same way. They would rather prefer simple cable that can meet the industry standard. Apparently some boutique/custom cables can't really meet the proper USB 2.0 standard. Although they also recommend monoprice cables for interconnects. Anyways, enough about cables. If it sounds good, it sounds good!

Any of you actually use more than one inputs at one time or thought of new ways to connect stuff. How's the sound quality so far? Also, does the speaker knob have enough control when used with monitors?

Mar 7, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #59 of 309
Got the source today. Plugged the D2000s in. Really good bass control. Kicks in the right places. So transparent in the mids. This is what I like my equipment to do. Push for as much transparency as possible without creaming it up. Yet, still sounds good to listen to. So happy that I saved bunch of money instead of going for a BDA-2/BHA-1 or NAD M51 rig. Having heard both of those rigs for a few hours by myself, I can say the Source will get the job done. Not to mention, you can save a bunch of money. Unfortunately, all my planers are gone at the moment, so can't test how the Source will drive them.

Really transparent mids and treble. Quite revealing as well. You can tell that it's a studio product.

Mar 7, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #60 of 309
  Got the source today. Plugged the D2000s in. Really good bass control. Kicks in the right places. So transparent in the mids. This is what I like my equipment to do. Push for as much transparency as possible without creaming it up. Yet, still sounds good to listen to. So happy that I saved bunch of money instead of going for a BDA-2/BHA-1 or NAD M51 rig. Having heard both of those rigs for a few hours by myself, I can say the Source will get the job done. Not to mention, you can save a bunch of money. Unfortunately, all my planers are gone at the moment, so can't test how the Source will drive them.

Really transparent mids and treble. Quite revealing as well. You can tell that it's a studio product.

I A/B'd the M51 against the source--they sound 99% identical and I doubt anyone could tell them apart in a blind test. The DS has more features and the best amp I've ever head in a DAC. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back