Danacable Lazuli Reference Thread
May 2, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #122 of 289
Help Danacable fight Covid 19!
Lazuli Isolation Sale until May 31. 2020:
http://danacables.com/2020/05/02/lazuli-sale-may2020/

To ease your isolation blues and help out during the Covid-19 crisis, Danacable is holding a special sale for the Lazuli line of headphone cables for the entire month of May:
You make a donation to one of the following charities, which are helping in the fight against Covid-19:
We give you a discount double the amount of your donation, subject to the following caps:
  • Up to $100 off a Lazuli order (your maximum qualifying donation is $50)
  • Up to $200 off a Lazuli Reference order (your maximum qualifying donation is $100)
  • Up to $300 off a Lazuli Ultra order (your maximum qualifying donation is $150)
  • Up to $500 off a Lazuli Nirvana order (your maximum qualifying donation is $250)
Since this is a special sale, DO NOT order from the website. Instead, email us at gingko@gingkoaudio.com with your order and tell us the amount you plan to donate to the charity. Remember to send us a copy of the receipt from the charity as proof of the donation. Once we get this receipt, we will finalize the payment details with you (including shipping costs) and schedule your order. We will send you a shipment tracking number when the cable is shipped to you.

Please note that due to Covid-19 restrictions, we cannot offer the 30-day money back guarantee. However, you still get the full one-year factory warranty on your new cable.

Contact us at gingko@gingkoaudio.com if you have any questions.

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #124 of 289
Nice idea, Vinh.
Thanks, Ken.
Thanks to our customers’ enthusiastic responses so far, $1500 was donated to the selected charities. We have decided to extend the sale through the end of June 2020. So here is your chance to do good while getting a nice discount off our Lazuli headphones cables.
Contact us at gingko@gingkoaudio.com if you have any questions.

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #126 of 289
Just double posting here, from the Focal Utopia thread, regarding the Lazuli Reference cable.

I have just bought the Utopia to use with my HMS TT2 and can report it works splendidly. Both the demo pair I first heard and the final purchase - no variation at all in that sample of two. Utopia also works like a dream with my original Hugo TT. I have never heard the TT sound so good.

Re the cable, I strongly suggest trying the Lazuli Reference before making a final decision. Mine has just arrived via international purchase. I am based in the UK and had to buy the cable unheard. Now that was a bit nail biting. But I need not have worried, the people at Danacable were v helpful and it all went smoothly and quickly - just over a week door to door.

Frankly I am amazed that a cable can make such a difference. The sound stage has opened up beautifully - so important with Chord DACs. I tried the Heimdal 2 which was better than stock - more detailed and refined but a bit thinner. The Lazuli was a big step up from both and I have hardly burned it in yet.

On the Utopia thread, in response to a further query, I added:

The prices are on the Danacable website (http://danacables.com/) in $USD and depend on the cable choice, length and termination. International enquiries are asked to email Vinh Vu (gingko@gingkoaudio.com) who quoted me $85 for shipping direct. The £/$ exchange is good at the moment - almost 1.5x when I did it - which made it easier.

Vinh was very helpful and answered all my questions promptly. The company maintained their 30-day no questions returns policy even internationally. Not that I will be sending the cable back.

I'm no cable expert so please do not take my comments in alone. A lot depends on what music you prefer, how you listen and how your brain works. This cable just seemed to be v highly regarded for the Utopia and was a similar price to the Heimdal 2 (which I was not convinced about) so I decided to take the plunge. I also needed a 1/4" plug for the TT2, although there are cheaper ways of doing that :relaxed:

I listen to a lot of classical music so good instrument tone and clear resolution of melodic lines and counterpoint are important to me. So is sound stage. I hesitated for a while before purchasing the Utopias because I felt they were a bit closed in - slightly claustrophobic - with a narrow stage, even though they starred on the other criteria. To my delight, the LR cable has opened up the sound stage nicely. Not as wide as my HD800s but very natural - easy to place performers across the stage and front to back.

If I just listened to popular music (which I do like, of course) I would not demand nearly as much of my audio system. I'm not listening for strong, rhythmic bass or exciting, full blooded sound - such as Fleetwood Mac's Rumours would sound great with. That album and many great jazz and blues recordings already sound excellent on any of the systems I have owned for the past couple of decades. They sound even better now, as you would expect, but not so much I would pursue improvements at such a cost and with so much energy.

FInally, I should mention there is a dedicated thread on Head-Fi for the LR cable, in case you have not seen it: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/danacable-lazuli-reference-thread.855143/ Seems like the LR is popular with many other TOTL headphones as well.

Feb 24, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #127 of 289
Just double posting here, from the Focal Utopia thread, regarding the Lazuli Reference cable.

I have just bought the Utopia to use with my HMS TT2 and can report it works splendidly. Both the demo pair I first heard and the final purchase - no variation at all in that sample of two. Utopia also works like a dream with my original Hugo TT. I have never heard the TT sound so good.

Re the cable, I strongly suggest trying the Lazuli Reference before making a final decision. Mine has just arrived via international purchase. I am based in the UK and had to buy the cable unheard. Now that was a bit nail biting. But I need not have worried, the people at Danacable were v helpful and it all went smoothly and quickly - just over a week door to door.

Frankly I am amazed that a cable can make such a difference. The sound stage has opened up beautifully - so important with Chord DACs. I tried the Heimdal 2 which was better than stock - more detailed and refined but a bit thinner. The Lazuli was a big step up from both and I have hardly burned it in yet.

The prices are on the Danacable website (http://danacables.com/) in $USD and depend on the cable choice, length and termination. International enquiries are asked to email Vinh Vu (gingko@gingkoaudio.com) who quoted me $85 for shipping direct. The £/$ exchange is good at the moment - almost 1.5x when I did it - which made it easier.

Vinh was very helpful and answered all my questions promptly. The company maintained their 30-day no questions returns policy even internationally. Not that I will be sending the cable back.

I'm no cable expert so please do not take my comments in alone. A lot depends on what music you prefer, how you listen and how your brain works. This cable just seemed to be v highly regarded for the Utopia and was a similar price to the Heimdal 2 (which I was not convinced about) so I decided to take the plunge. I also needed a 1/4" plug for the TT2, although there are cheaper ways of doing that :relaxed:

I listen to a lot of classical music so good instrument tone and clear resolution of melodic lines and counterpoint are important to me. So is sound stage. I hesitated for a while before purchasing the Utopias because I felt they were a bit closed in - slightly claustrophobic - with a narrow stage, even though they starred on the other criteria. To my delight, the LR cable has opened up the sound stage nicely. Not as wide as my HD800s but very natural - easy to place performers across the stage and front to back.

If I just listened to popular music (which I do like, of course) I would not demand nearly as much of my audio system. I'm not listening for strong, rhythmic bass or exciting, full blooded sound - such as Fleetwood Mac's Rumours would sound great with. That album and many great jazz and blues recordings already sound excellent on any of the systems I have owned for the past couple of decades. They sound even better now, as you would expect, but not so much I would pursue improvements at such a cost and with so much energy.

FInally, I should mention there is a dedicated thread on Head-Fi for the LR cable, in case you have not seen it: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/danacable-lazuli-reference-thread.855143/ Seems like the LR is popular with many other TOTL headphones as well.
Sounds awesome. I have the Lazuli Ultralite for my hekse. Soon I'll be upgrading to the new Lazuli reference-plus. But the Ultralite made a world of difference. Hands down.

Feb 24, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #129 of 289
I was just looking over the Lazuli Reference for the Utopia. .. I think there is a new iteration for the Reference cable. It's now called the Lazuli Reference FC.

Please does this mean a new iteration of the cable? Or is it a renaming? Or am I on the wrong page, sorry? https://danacables.com/product/lazuli-ref-fc/
That's just the regular Lazuli reference. The plus isn't on the website yet. It has some silver added inside of it. Once I get mines on Monday or Tuesday I'll post up a pic of it. I chose my sheating on it. It's different than the one that will be made for retail.

Feb 24, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #130 of 289

Thank you. Please don't think I missed your post (referring to me) in the Utopia thread. Am still thinking.

That's just the regular Lazuli reference. The plus isn't on the website yet. It has some silver added inside of it. Once I get mines on Monday or Tuesday I'll post up a pic of it. I chose my sheating on it. It's different than the one that will be made for retail.

I think I got thrown by seeing this too. http://danacables.com/product/used-3m-lazuli-reference-fc/

That listing is for a Lazuli Reference, and not a Lazuli Reference FC.

It would suggest an iteration change in cable. However it's listed as Lazuli Reference FC in the internet address, which suggests it's the same cable.

Feb 24, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #131 of 289
Thank you. Please don't think I missed your post (referring to me) in the Utopia thread. Am still thinking.

I think I got thrown by seeing this too. http://danacables.com/product/used-3m-lazuli-reference-fc/

That listing is for a Lazuli Reference, and not a Lazuli Reference FC.

It would suggest an iteration change in cable. However it's listed as Lazuli Reference FC in the internet address, which suggests it's the same cable.
The FC I'm guessing is short for Focal. Because on the Hifiman cable it says Hf. Ab for Abyss, Ad for Audeze and Sh for Sennheiser.

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #133 of 289
Guys I thought It's time for me to chime in with my 2cents. I purchased the DLR cable for Utopia a few months ago after sitting on the fence for a year or so. The main reason for the delay was cost and as a UK buyer this included shipping, import duty and taxes. Not cheap on a 11,000 purchase. Anyway the main point of my post is to say to anyone thinking of buying this cable is do it. Do it now and don't delay! The synergy between the this cable and the Utopias is simply sublime. My only regret is that I waited for over a year to experience this incredible upgrade.

Excuse me please, did you need to pay import tax, and if so how much. Someone only today told me that thy did not need to pay import tax: smooth purchase.

Feb 26, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #134 of 289
Re the Danacables Lazuli Reference, I just want to add that the cable itself is very well made - as you would expect for the price. There is no microphony and no wrestling. It is not a cable that twists as you use it and requires constant attention.
Along with the build quality of the Utopia, the total set oozes quality and is a joy to handle.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #135 of 289
Please does anyone know what all the cable specifications are? .... I think I saw that the Lazuli Reference is OFC copper. However since I can't find that again, I wonder if I was wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back