Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Mar 10, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #3,496 of 5,996
Kind of curious to hear mine with some of the amps being discussed here. I use my RME to drive mine (hi-power mode) and still enjoy them. Trying to wait it out a bit before upgrading as I've dropped enough quid on Empyreans, Elites, and the Stealths.
What is your volume at on hi-power mode? Most of the time I drive mine from my Jot 2 but I have tried it from straight of the RME on low power mode and I only need around -10db to be at 70-75db on most songs.

Mar 10, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #3,497 of 5,996
What is your volume at on hi-power mode? Most of the time I drive mine from my Jot 2 but I have tried it from straight of the RME on low power mode and I only need around -10db to be at 70-75db on most songs.

It varies as I don't use anything like replay-gain. I try to stay at -30db though earlier it was between that and -20db depending on the track. Not sure what the actual level was in my ears. . .not sure how to measure that (willing to learn). I've been making attempts at practicing restraint in order to preserve my hearing.

Mar 10, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #3,498 of 5,996
Not sure what the actual level was in my ears. . .not sure how to measure that (willing to learn)
I usually just use a SPL meter I bought on amazon. I take off the foam diffuser and insert it through a piece of cardboard with a cut out that I place over one of the cups. Probably not super accurate but enough to determine if I'm not blowing my ears out. I definitely used to listen much too loudly before I got into this hobby. Thankfully, my perception of loudness has changed and relatively safe listening levels (70-85db) now seem adequate whereas before they did not.

I've seen a lot of people say these are hard to drive and, objectively, they do require a fair amount of juice compared to most other cans. However, they do not require a dyson sphere to power. I transported my Stealth and ran them through an apple dongle with an adapter into a magni while on vacation and still had a great time. The apple dongle on its own almost got loud enough but sounded anemic.

I don't think I can hear major differences in source gear so if you can I would take my opinion with a grain of salt. Only your time and money will get that answer for you. Just have fun while pursuing that whale! I just bought a Bifrost so I'm fully entrenched in the pursuit and still learning myself.

Mar 12, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #3,500 of 5,996
I'd like to report that the Mojo 2 pairs well with the Stealth even without touching the Mojo's EQ. If you get the chance to audition a Mojo 2, you might be surprised.

IMG_0271[2072].jpg

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #3,502 of 5,996
If the Chord Mojo2 can pair well with the Stealth then I guess that means that so can the Ifi DSD Gryphon through its balanced output.

There is over 300mW difference between them with the Gryphon offering 1000mW into 32ohms.
The thing is that stealth is 23 ohms.
Chord dacs have pretty high currently capabilities and mojo power is probably 'much' higher at 23ohms than 32.

It's not true with many other amps/dacs.
A lot of the times because of current limitation their power handling drops with impedance

Not sure how things look with gryphon. But that could be the case. Just ask somebody from ifi.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #3,505 of 5,996
The thing is that stealth is 23 ohms.
Chord dacs have pretty high currently capabilities and mojo power is probably 'much' higher at 23ohms than 32.

It's not true with many other amps/dacs.
A lot of the times because of current limitation their power handling drops with impedance

Not sure how things look with gryphon. But that could be the case. Just ask somebody from ifi.
I think Mojo 2 has roughly the same power as OG Mojo, but hard to tell because Chord quotes different specs. For Mojo 1, 30mW at 600ohms and 720mW at 8ohms. Mojo 2 is 90mW at 300ohms and 600mW at 30ohms. So, a guess would be somewhere between 600 and 700mW into Stealth’s 23ohms.

PS: Using a sensitivity of 87 SPL/mW, that should get you 115dB from Mojo/Mojo 2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back