Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Feb 28, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #3,451 of 6,033
Lo
I haven't had issues driving the Stealth with the systems I have at hand. My Fiio K9pro works very nicely with the Stealth. What kind of chain issues have you seen?
I have not really. Was just asking what’s a good chain from your experience.

I have been using them both with a TT2 and with a Burson conductor 3XR and I prefer the Burson quite a lot.

Feb 28, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #3,452 of 6,033
Can you advise on the chain pls mate?
Goes down to transport quality, avoiding high gain, sticking to unity gain, using a line conditioner/ psu upgrades.

Transport quality means avoiding a windows,osx machine as source. A dedicated streamer helps like a Zen Stream.

The low distortion of the stealth can punish you when you go into high gain, kills the blacks and dynamics. So finding a HP amp that can drive the Stealth at low gain or unity gain is the goal. Others will say the Stealth sounds good with tubes but then that's just lots of color and 2nd order harmonics being pumped into the chain to mask the garbage in.

A line conditioner and high quality psu upgrades will help in enjoying the Stealth also.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #3,454 of 6,033
Lo

I have not really. Was just asking what’s a good chain from your experience.

I have been using them both with a TT2 and with a Burson conductor 3XR and I prefer the Burson quite a lot.
How do you find the burson in particular? Pros and cons? Any quirks?
I almost brought one instead of my benchmark gear. Still kinda curious about it

Feb 28, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #3,455 of 6,033
Lol ok, when I had the Stealth and changed them to 1266, I immediately felt the Abyss was a different class of headphones. I sent back a disgusted fairly quickly demo version of Stealth. I think Stealth was my biggest disappoinment last year.

I see it completely different...for me it's the other way around....the Stealth is since the Utopia release the only what impressed me the most

NOMAX

PS.lol

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #3,456 of 6,033
Did you try to play with the filters to see if you can make the AFC 2 Noire sound closer to the Stealth?
You don't get there with the filters alone, and dsp works so much better for me.

I've heard both and would happily take the Stealth over the 1266. Better comfort and better bass just to start with. I think the soundstage depth is also better on the Stealth.
I've owned both and kept neither, but I'd take Stealth over 1266 any day. But again, there are a lot of people buying bose stuff. It comes down to taste.

I'm wondering if I should bother getting them to compare vs my VC and Rognir.
Yes, it's in another league compared to VC. But again, a lot of phones are.

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #3,457 of 6,033
How do you find the burson in particular? Pros and cons? Any quirks?
I almost brought one instead of my benchmark gear. Still kinda curious about it
The button has a lot of focus and definition on the low end and a huge amount of power. Way more than the TT2. If you use it with a better DAC (I am using it with a Holo May even if its own dac Is absolutely excellent) it really produces a huge wide sound.

Only downside, with some cans (like the lcd-xc for example, not with the Stealths) the background is not 100% “black”.

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #3,458 of 6,033
The button has a lot of focus and definition on the low end and a huge amount of power. Way more than the TT2. If you use it with a better DAC (I am using it with a Holo May even if its own dac Is absolutely excellent) it really produces a huge wide sound.

Only downside, with some cans (like the lcd-xc for example, not with the Stealths) the background is not 100% “black”.
Is this stock psu or with the supercharger?

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #3,459 of 6,033

Interesting. I have hpa4 and dac3.

What about things like popping on startup? Did they fix that issue? Any LCD quirks or problems? Volume pot etc?

Do you use the supercharger or normal psu? Any thoughts on those?

Ps sorry for the 101 questions

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #3,460 of 6,033
Interesting. I have hpa4 and dac3.

What about things like popping on startup? Did they fix that issue? Any LCD quirks or problems? Volume pot etc?

Do you use the supercharger or normal psu? Any thoughts on those?

Ps sorry for the 101 questions
No worries mate, we are here to heal each other!

No popping sound, never had it.

Normal PSU but thinking about getting a supercharger which should make it even more silent (don’t get me wrong mate it’s not a noisy amp by any stretch)

LCD is perfect, just the odd flicker of sample rate if you’re using it as DAC

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #3,461 of 6,033
No worries mate, we are here to heal each other!

No popping sound, never had it.

Normal PSU but thinking about getting a supercharger which should make it even more silent (don’t get me wrong mate it’s not a noisy amp by any stretch)

LCD is perfect, just the odd flicker of sample rate if you’re using it as DAC
Nice. Where are you based btw? I'm in Melbourne

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #3,462 of 6,033
Feb 28, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #3,463 of 6,033
The stock psu of the Burson doesn't have good blacks on my end. Very grey presentation. The supercharger brings a much blacker noise floor and deeper low end but eats up the information on the upper mids and highs. My Hypsos mod brings in more refinement and brings back the proper upper mids and highs. But in the end I still prefer the Hugo 2 as it's better on all counts.

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #3,465 of 6,033
Ah nice. Shame we aren't local. Would have loved a listen.

Oh well!

Still good to hear the feedback. Might try get hold of one one-day
Normally ATA sticks them to sample mate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back