Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Oct 6, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #2,011 of 5,996
Today, I can spend a few hours to compare the Stealth and Ultrasone Edion 15 Veritas .... so I will test various situations

I know that ultra low frequencies can be an issue for most closed headphones .. so I tried to listen Max Richter's track "Cradle to The grave" from Hostiles Album :
-> the Stealth can't manage at all to pass the sub frequencies from 39" to 1'20" at a normal volume level, the bass section is totally distorted and needs to lower the volume by several db's to get the "music" available,
-> the Ultrasone can manage easily to reproduce those frequencies quite "clearly" even at a much higher sound pressure level with even more sub frequencies (which can leather earpads move a bit around the ear).
-> I use the same portable amp (M8 V2) for both headphones, but I apply some Harman Target PEQ to the ultrasone Ed15, and nothing to the Stealth (with one touch, I can switch between no PEQ for the stealth and PEQ + Volume adjustment for the Ultrasone and get same Spl pressure for both headphones (controlled by the graphics from Neutron).

At home I know that the HEDDphone can pass this track like the Ultrasone can do.

Though, this track is a bit extreme, it can maybe point out some real limits of the Stealth in low and ultra low frequencies...

Resepctfully if you are getting bass distortion that goes away suddenly when you lower the volume it's clearly because you are clipping your amplifier. It is absolutely not the headphone, you can not distort the bass on this headphone until you are at extremely high SPL.

The M8 doesn't have much power at 22 ohms. It's max power is at 75 ohms and then power falls sharply as the load falls. Stealth is 22 ohms, at a rough swag based on the numbers it may be as little as 150mW on the XLR and less if you're using the other outputs. You need a better/different amplifier.

Edit: I just saw your other posts where you realized this was the amp.

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 6, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #2,012 of 5,996
IMG_7619.jpg
IMG_7619.jpg

Oct 6, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #2,015 of 5,996
Resepctfully if you are getting bass distortion that goes away suddenly when you lower the volume it's clearly because you are clipping your amplifier. It is absolutely not the headphone, you can not distort the bass on this headphone until you are at extremely high SPL.

The M8 doesn't have much power at 22 ohms. It's max power is at 75 ohms and then power falls sharply as the load falls. Stealth is 22 ohms, at a rough swag based on the numbers it may be as little as 150mW on the XLR and less if you're using the other outputs. You need a better/different amplifier.

Edit: I just saw your other posts where you realized this was the amp.
What’s the minimum power you recommend?

Oct 6, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #2,016 of 5,996
What’s the minimum power you recommend?
THat's kind of dependent upon how loud you listen and what you listen to... For general use I'd recommend at least 400mW at 22 ohms. If you like it loud go 1W+ at 16 or 32 ohms for desktop. For myself and how I listen I don't think I'd ever hit 400mW but I err on the side of protecting my hearing, given my job that's just a wee-bit important.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 6, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #2,017 of 5,996
You can achieve better synergie for less money as with TT2

NOMAX

PS.Questyle Master 12/Woo Audio Topaz...but with 4.4mm Connection 👍
I loved the Stealth with the Topaz actually

That was the source I used for my initial impressions.

Oct 6, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #2,018 of 5,996
I loved the Stealth with the Topaz actually

That was the source I used for my initial impressions.

I am afraid the WA11 can't pass Max Richter's track "Cradle to The grave" from Hostiles Album ... it seems to be under powered.
Even the Less BX2+ hasn't got real margin with 2x3W at 32ohms. (I don't know the power available at 22 ohms).

Oct 6, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #2,019 of 5,996
All I can say is that these Headphones LOVE power. Going from 1.6W/channel on XI Broadway to 13W/channel Milo is revelatory.

This is my current setup, PC-(aq cinnamon optical)-RME ADI2-(Wywires silver XLR)-Wells Audio Milo-(Wywires platinum HP cables)-DCA Stealth.

The Soundstage in ears jumped an easy 20-25% larger and all the separation in between/placement of voices and instruments is just spectacular. The only other setup I have heard do this is the Woo WA33.

I did have a ground loop pop up it’s dirty little head from PC usb source with the Milo, which is not present in the in-unit RME amp, nor is it present when XLR’s to XI Broadway (which has a Li-ion battery bank mains filter/mobile power supply to buffer). My initial fix is the optical, but going to try iFi idefender this week on usb as well.

I’m imagining that Jeff leaves out buffer to keep things simple and tight, he’s expecting a floating high end hifi system/source not an overclocked, massive gpu having noisy ass pc source.

Still playing with Milo but will do proper A/B in next week vs RME/Broadway/Milo.

I’ll just end with the note that these HP, being harder to drive, but geared to exult all the nuance and quality thrown at them reveal new heights of amazingness with an enhanced chain like only a very well designed flagship can.

Attachments

• 8C86183B-36B2-4A59-804E-DCC2409CD554.jpeg
    8C86183B-36B2-4A59-804E-DCC2409CD554.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #2,020 of 5,996
I am afraid the WA11 can't pass Max Richter's track "Cradle to The grave" from Hostiles Album ... it seems to be under powered.
Even the Less BX2+ hasn't got real margin with 2x3W at 32ohms. (I don't know the power available at 22 ohms).
I’ll definitely try it on “higher” powered sources next time but man, how “loud” do you guys listen to? On the Topaz I was on high gain and set the volume at around 10 o’clock and that was more than sufficient. I’m not saying that it won’t scale up with better gear but for me, the performance it gave through the Topaz got me convinced that the Stealth is “it” for me and that was completely sufficient. If I can’t power a headphone with a transportable source it ain’t for me. I don’t want to have two separate desktop systems for my home office and my bedroom. That was honestly one of the reasons why I stepped away from the headphone scene. But it seems more and more headphones are starting to get better at this. And as my house is quite a bit noisy due to our centralized A/C, I need closed-back cans. But maybe someday when I go back to a condo, I’d definitely give open-backs another go.

Also, I’m not saying that I’m right and you’re wrong, it’s just because we have different preferences, music taste, sensitivities, ears, head shape/size, and priorities/needs. So we really have to put all of those into consideration. Hence why people perceive the Stealth differently.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #2,021 of 5,996
I’ll definitely try it on “higher” powered sources next time but man, how “loud” do you guys listen to? On the Topaz I was on high gain and set the volume at around 10 o’clock and that was more than sufficient. I’m not saying that it won’t scale up with better gear but for me, the performance it gave through the Topaz got me convinced that the Stealth is “it” for me and that was completely sufficient. If I can’t power a headphone with a transportable source it ain’t for me. I don’t want to have two separate desktop systems for my home office and my bedroom. That was honestly one of the reasons why I stepped away from the headphone scene. But it seems more and more headphones are starting to get better at this. And as my house is quite a bit noisy due to our centralized A/C, I need closed-back cans. But maybe someday when I go back to a condo, I’d definitely give open-backs another go.

Also, I’m not saying that I’m right and you’re wrong, it’s just because we have different preferences, music taste, sensitivities, ears, head shape/size, and priorities/needs. So we really have to put all of those into consideration. Hence why people perceive the Stealth differently.
The power business is about getting maximum potential out of your set of headphones at all gain levels, but there will always be less musical development at the lowest gains. Think of setting a 70-75dB threshold, and if you had this same setting across more and more powerful Amps you will see the headphones pure potential unfurl.

For mobile pairing for instance, i have landed on Dap to iFi diablo with a 4.4-4pin XLR Woo audio dongle for maximum power on the go.

Oct 7, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #2,022 of 5,996
The power business is about getting maximum potential out of your set of headphones at all gain levels, but there will always be less musical development at the lowest gains. Think of setting a 70-75dB threshold, and if you had this same setting across more and more powerful Amps you will see the headphones pure potential unfurl.

For mobile pairing for instance, i have landed on Dap to iFi diablo with a 4.4-4pin XLR Woo audio dongle for maximum power on the go.
I’m familiar with that, as I have also come across a few IEMs that definitely love more power, but yeah, this is how I usually test out headphones for my first listen, if I don’t like how it sounds with transportable gear, unfortunately it ain’t for me (saves me quite a bit of money 😂) but of course down the line I’d grab “better” more “powerful” sources. But yeah, I think my listening threshold usually doesn’t go higher than 70dB it usually floats around the 65dB mark. But when testing gear, I for sure go higher than that most times 😆

I’ll drop by to listen to the Stealth again with other sources. Probably gonna give it a go on the Dave.

Oct 7, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #2,023 of 5,996

At 10 o clock on the Topaz you are almost at max volume. It has a dumb linear taper pot.

But I agree with you, people listen too loud.

Oct 7, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #2,024 of 5,996
At 10 o clock on the Topaz you are almost at max volume. It has a dumb linear taper pot.

But I agree with you, people listen too loud.
It´s not exactly a matter of being too loud, but more a question of being able to give enough juice for low and ultra low frequencies when juice is needed. Otherwise distorsion and clipping are there quickly there even with being far from max volume. It's what happens with the Max Richter Cradle to the grave track with nearly all my portable amps Kann Alpha, M8v2,...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back