Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Aug 31, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #767 of 5,996
If bass will be "light" like on Utopia im in! lol!
It's always funny (not meant in a condescending way) how wildly different people's perception of bass is due to their frame of reference & personal preferences.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #769 of 5,996
It's always funny (not meant in a condescending way) how wildly different people's perception of bass is due to their frame of reference & personal preferences.
There seems to be a lot of factors involved:
In the end I think EQ is the only way to get the most out of a headphone, because finding a headphone that perfectly matches the subjective preference in tonality is probably not realistically possible. Maybe some are lucky enough, but most will be searching without end.

A headphone like the stealth with pretty much perfect harman tonality and low distortion should make it easy for most people to achieve their preference with little EQ though.

Aug 31, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #773 of 5,996
EQ corrects frequency but destroys the purity of the sound. Not worth it to me....
EQ can potentially worsen sound quality in some cases. Looking at the HD650 for example the bass already shows relatively high distortion without EQ (still likely not audible, if you're not carefully listening for it), but if EQ is used to boost that region to a high level that might cause discernible distortion.
This does not apply to all headphones though. Especially not to a headphone with as low distortion as the stealth which also likely does not need much EQ.

So knowing what headphones you experimented with and what EQ settings you experimented with might give more insight into what might have gone wrong. EQ will definitely not worsen sound quality in all cases.

Aug 31, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #775 of 5,996
By the way, I am not the only one who feels this way. It is a well excepted concept among many many audiophiles that equalizing sounds wrong.
Also depends on what is used to equalize.
For instance the EQ on my phone is most definitely worsening the sound, while my schiit Loki does not

Aug 31, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #776 of 5,996
Doesn't recodridng and mixing process EQ nearly all the records we hear?

Aug 31, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #778 of 5,996
I am not a technically minded person- but it could be possible that equalizing on fly is different than what is done in studios. Proper compensations can be made in the studio which are beyond my abilities on my PC. Again, a huge portion of the audiophile community is on my side here- so either we are all dreaming, are all superstitious, we are all wrong, or perhaps, our ears just don't like equalizing....

What's the difference anyway? If you like equalizing, suit yourself, if not- also suit yourself. I think we would really need a sound engineer to really judge if in fact equalizing on the fly damages, or distorts or perhaps not. I'd be curious what a real technical expert in sound would say...

Aug 31, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #779 of 5,996
I think we would really need a sound engineer to really judge if in fact equalizing on the fly damages, or distorts or perhaps not. I'd be curious what a real technical expert in sound would say...
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/faq

TLDR : it doesn't. But properly equalising headphones isn't quite as straightforward as "Hey I feel these HPs are bass light, let me turn up that "bass boost" knob".

Aug 31, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #780 of 5,996
I am not a technically minded person- but it could be possible that equalizing on fly is different than what is done in studios. Proper compensations can be made in the studio which are beyond my abilities on my PC. Again, a huge portion of the audiophile community is on my side here- so either we are all dreaming, are all superstitious, we are all wrong, or perhaps, our ears just don't like equalizing....

What's the difference anyway? If you like equalizing, suit yourself, if not- also suit yourself. I think we would really need a sound engineer to really judge if in fact equalizing on the fly damages, or distorts or perhaps not. I'd be curious what a real technical expert in sound would say...
sound engineers get paid from EQ.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back