Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Aug 24, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #511 of 6,033
Audiohead just posted their review here... https://audio-head.com/review-dan-clark-audio-stealth/

"Mechanically speaking, the new DCA flagship appears to be a beast, dynamically it’s a sledge hammer with a feather touch. Quick and responsive, it keeps things controlled and clean, even when things get messy."

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 24, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #513 of 6,033
Except it does exactly that based on Resolve's quote.

"I can only comment on the VO and Stellia, not the VC. But I think the Stealth is more detailed than both with better image separation qualities (planar advantage), also with a better tonal balance. At the same time, both of those have better macro contrast, so it depends on what you care about."

The Stellia is a $3k headphone that it has better detail and image separation than. The Abyss and Susvara are $5k and $6k respectively and it doesn't quite reach those levels.

Naturally, if it beats a headphone at $3k but doesn't quite match headphones at $5-$6k then $4k seems like the correct price no?

It's unlikely that closed-backs will ever fully compete with open-back headphones as there are quite a few more complications to deal with but I'd rate that at pretty high praise.

I suppose it depends on the listener, and how much they value the areas the Stealth excels in, vs the areas it makes concessions. I agree that I doubt closed backs will ever be on par with open backs in certain areas, as it might not be physically possible.

At the end of the day, the Stealth is sold out, so Dan has priced it at the right level, I suppose.

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #514 of 6,033
This thread is an interesting study in hurd mentality.

Every new product launch follows the same pattern, excitement, naysayers, then actual owner impressions. It's like the seasons... :wink:

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #515 of 6,033
Well, that review sucked.

Why can't people establish at least one to three known references for comparison. Everyone is opaque. Andrew only posted initial impressions, back off.

Aug 24, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #516 of 6,033
Agreed. I am DEFINITELY going to cancel my order for my Porsche GT3 RS. I read somewhere, or was it YouTube that someone didn't like the GT3 RS. I think they stated it was way over priced and that a new Corvette was 95% the as good.........

Aug 24, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #517 of 6,033
I want to be clear, I haven't heard the Stealth, nor am I saying it's a bad headphone in any way. I can't do that (or say its a great headphone as well) until I hear it personally.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #518 of 6,033
I am slightly curious why we aren't hearing/reading some of the key phrases to describe headphones.... like Slam or instrument separation or frequency range balance or the other phrases ??

Aug 24, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #519 of 6,033
We are sold out for immediate production; orders placed after this point will be filled with some delay but we do take backorders, we will post updates on delivery in a couple of days.

Initial shipments are imminent. Thanks so much to everyone for the enthusiasm and support, it's sure appreciated!

Aug 24, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #520 of 6,033
One thing important to mention is that recommended retail price is not the REAL price. Susvara is not a $6,000 headphone, nor is Abyss $4.500. Lets all just stop this baloney because it isn't so.

Point being that at the end of the day- the Stealth, TC, and Susvara are in a VERY similar price range- if you shop right.

So- comparisons based on price performance are not of value as the price is close enough to not make a difference.

Performance, comfort, reliability, open vs closed, etc. need to be compared.

Aug 24, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #521 of 6,033
I suppose it depends on the listener, and how much they value the areas the Stealth excels in, vs the areas it makes concessions. I agree that I doubt closed backs will ever be on par with open backs in certain areas, as it might not be physically possible.

At the end of the day, the Stealth is sold out, so Dan has priced it at the right level, I suppose.
Man you have and impressive system. LOVE the Boulder

Aug 24, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #522 of 6,033
Everything needs to be a Susvara/TC/SR009XYZ killer now or it's a bust. No space for anything else. Some minds in here are more closed-in than the ATH-M50x.

Less doooooom please, relax and wait for user impressions and comparisons if you mildly care about how this headphone performs. No offense to Resolve, it's not his fault that people are so dependant on the opinion of "authorities" or "official" reviewers. His opinion is important to many though and I love reading his reviews. Thus the link.

I am expecting superb balance, tone and articulation from MrSpeakers and hope to compare it with the R10P and maybe even Rognir IF a loaner is possible. Will I buy it? No. Am I still curious to hear it? Absolutely.
Maybe it's the Heddphone that made everyone go that mad looking out for THE final Killah. But thinking about killing the HEDD was like sophisticating about the end of the universe in some way - after the end there just has to be .... SOMETHING.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #523 of 6,033
Aug 24, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #524 of 6,033
I guess I started the "negativity ball" rolling- but it was NOT my intention. I have no desire or intention to cast any negativity, only to recommend to proceed with caution.

I just get a kick out of all the excitement we headfiers often feel regarding new products which often, but not always fades.

I hope this new headphone is a big hit- in every way. I just think we should all not get over excited nor should be negative....
If you pay close and careful attention, the peak experience of happiness and joy happen not in the receiving or doing of a thing, or even the experience, but in the anticipation of a thing.
There is literally no end to how long or how excited you can get before hand, and the reality of owning and enjoying a new toy is always finite and settles quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back