Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 8, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #1,081 of 6,037
Has anyone heard the Stealth next to the HE1000SE? I've had the LCD-4Z for a couple of years being driven on a Chord DAVE, and I love it, but was looking for a second headphone with a different signature (dynamic, musical, and fun vs. highly detailed and technical). I just bought a HE1000SE and it is indeed extraordinarily detailed, but it's so treble heavy that it's fatiguing and it's not as dynamic as I'd like, and I was curious whether the Stealth might provide similar detail and resolution, but have greater dynamics and a less fatiguing signature. I still have time to return the HE1000SE, but NOT enough time to get a Stealth before I do (they're sold out everywhere), so I'd love to hear from anybody that's done an A/B between the two. I'm keeping the LCD-4z for sure though and whatever I buy I'll continue driving it straight out of the Chord DAVE.

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #1,082 of 6,037
Sep 8, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #1,083 of 6,037
I find this dude to be consistently the worst reviewer on YouTube.
I actually enjoy his reviews there are so many that are worse.

However that either or question answered with "yes" Was hilarious...

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #1,084 of 6,037
I actually enjoy his reviews there are so many that are worse.

However that either or question answered with "yes" Was hilarious...

Seems like he's genuinely trying, but just not quite seasoned enough yet with 'talking to camera' reviews. I'll admit, talking to nobody is super awkward.

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #1,085 of 6,037
Has anyone heard the Stealth next to the HE1000SE? I've had the LCD-4Z for a couple of years being driven on a Chord DAVE, and I love it, but was looking for a second headphone with a different signature (dynamic, musical, and fun vs. highly detailed and technical). I just bought a HE1000SE and it is indeed extraordinarily detailed, but it's so treble heavy that it's fatiguing and it's not as dynamic as I'd like, and I was curious whether the Stealth might provide similar detail and resolution, but have greater dynamics and a less fatiguing signature. I still have time to return the HE1000SE, but NOT enough time to get a Stealth before I do (they're sold out everywhere), so I'd love to hear from anybody that's done an A/B between the two. I'm keeping the LCD-4z for sure though and whatever I buy I'll continue driving it straight out of the Chord DAVE.
My only comment would be that if you find the HE1000SE fatiguing and lacking dynamics, you should probably return it while you can. The Stealth may or may not end up being what you're looking for, but it sounds like the Hifiman definitely isn't.

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #1,086 of 6,037
My only comment would be that if you find the HE1000SE fatiguing and lacking dynamics, you should probably return it while you can. The Stealth may or may not end up being what you're looking for, but it sounds like the Hifiman definitely isn't.

Well, I'm sort of holding out hope that they'll open up and mellow a bit with break in (it's only been a few days). I really like the detail and I'm not sure there's a headphone in existence that will be as engaging as the LCD-4 while at the same time providing this much resolution and detail, so that's why I figure I need at least 2. Could be wrong. Could also return these, get the Stealths in 6 weeks when they're available and try those out, and just buy the HEKSEs again if I have to. But ideally somebody can just share their experience with both and I'll have some more direction.

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #1,087 of 6,037
I considered the lcd-4z and he1000se and ended up keeping the Sony Z1R because of the reasons you are citing basically. The HE1000SE was the fastest, most detailed headphone i've tried, but sound signature was much less enjoyable than the Utopias/Z1R + fatiguing to boot. Both it and Lcd-4z had way less bass slam + the 4z had a lot narrower soundstage than the Z1R. I'm hoping to add a Stealth to complement the Z1R, but i expect it will have even less "dynamics" and slam than the 4z. Which i couldn't live without if it was my one headphone. As amazing as it might be technically, i'm sure i'll switch to the Z1R some of the time.
Is there a reason why you have not considered it? It sounds exactly like what you are looking for. It's also highly detailed on Dave +M-scaler, even more so than the 4z i think.

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #1,088 of 6,037
Well, I'm sort of holding out hope that they'll open up and mellow a bit with break in (it's only been a few days). I really like the detail and I'm not sure there's a headphone in existence that will be as engaging as the LCD-4 while at the same time providing this much resolution and detail, so that's why I figure I need at least 2. Could be wrong. Could also return these, get the Stealths in 6 weeks when they're available and try those out, and just buy the HEKSEs again if I have to. But ideally somebody can just share their experience with both and I'll have some more direction.
I have the HEKse and have a Stealth coming over but...why not just EQ your LCD4z? I can also recommend you T+A Solitaire P-SE (which I will also compare to Stealth).

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #1,089 of 6,037
I considered the lcd-4z and he1000se and ended up keeping the Sony Z1R because of the reasons you are citing basically. The HE1000SE was the fastest, most detailed headphone i've tried, but sound signature was much less enjoyable than the Utopias/Z1R + fatiguing to boot. Both it and Lcd-4z had way less bass slam + the 4z had a lot narrower soundstage than the Z1R. I'm hoping to add a Stealth to complement the Z1R, but i expect it will have even less "dynamics" and slam than the 4z. Which i couldn't live without if it was my one headphone. As amazing as it might be technically, i'm sure i'll switch to the Z1R some of the time.
Is there a reason why you have not considered it? .
Honestly it was never on my radar. I really only considered the $4kish flagships from the dedicated headphone guys -- stuff <$2k from the big consumer electronics multinationals just wasn't really in the consideration set. I've been pretty happy with the bass on the 4Z, but would be interesting if the Z1R has more slam and more detail in the mid/upper ranges. Is it really in the same league as the cans that cost 2x more?

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #1,090 of 6,037
I have the HEKse and have a Stealth coming over but...why not just EQ your LCD4z? I can also recommend you T+A Solitaire P-SE (which I will also compare to Stealth).

EQ isn't going to add detail and resolution, though. I'm quite happy with the frequency response already. I guess I could EQ the HEKSE but I don't like the idea of messing with the signal path from the DAVE to the headphones.

Sep 8, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #1,091 of 6,037
EQ isn't going to add detail and resolution, though. I'm quite happy with the frequency response already. I guess I could EQ the HEKSE but I don't like the idea of messing with the signal path from the DAVE to the headphones.
The perceived lack of detail with in such a high end HP would probably be related to the over emphasized bass-mids transition region relative to the upper mids and treble. I also don't mean applying EQ between the DAC and the HP but on the source end. Anyway, it is your money and time. Good luck with your chase.

1631111938604.png

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #1,092 of 6,037
I really don't care about being "wrong" on Head-fi, as if i were to go by the overblown impressions here the Stellia (and pretty much any NEW headphone) would blow the Z1R (or pretty much any OLD headphone) out of the water. And i've found the opposite to be true on numerous occasions. Stellia might be better out of a dap or whatever poster X might be using, but in my setup, it's so much more congested, it's not even close. Though the tuning is up for discussion, soundstage and separation are not.
So opinions and interest are all well and good but I'll listen for myself and vote with my wallet. The Stealth is the only headphone to have done anything different to address the main issue with closed backs, i fail to see anything on that front in the Rognir or Verite. If it's tuning and coloring you're after you might as well throw the Hifiman R10P in with that lot, as abysmal as Head-fi considers them :)
Here, bud.

All these companies like to employ techno-blab marketing crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 8, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #1,093 of 6,037
Seems like he's genuinely trying, but just not quite seasoned enough yet with 'talking to camera' reviews. I'll admit, talking to nobody is super awkward.
I talk to nobody all the time. They are the only one who listens! At least intelligently.:jecklinsmile:

As for the Z1R, it has a relaxing sound signature with good bass quantity and decent quality. But if you're looking for upper midrange and treble detail, while it is decent, it doesn't jump out at you. I had a pair, and enjoyed them, but eventually moved on because they really didn't compete with other flagships. But if you just want a laidback relaxing alternative, they are worth considering.

Sep 8, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #1,094 of 6,037
I've been pretty happy with the bass on the 4Z, but would be interesting if the Z1R has more slam and more detail in the mid/upper ranges. Is it really in the same league as the cans that cost 2x more?
More slam or bass impact, then yes, Z1R provide that. Also being a good dynamic driver usually produce more "powerful" bass (longer rumble and decay), which is sound great to improve fun factor. However, 4Z bass is more natural for me, and more suit to bass guitar/cello/double bass instrument. May a bit "boring" compare Z1R for EDM in bass department because of tighter and faster decay. Detail in midrange and treble of 4Z definitely better than Z1R in any ways, especially in good source like yours.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #1,095 of 6,037
More slam or bass impact, then yes, Z1R provide that. Also being a good dynamic driver usually produce more "powerful" bass (longer rumble and decay), which is sound great to improve fun factor. However, 4Z bass is more natural for me, and more suit to bass guitar/cello/double bass instrument. May a bit "boring" compare Z1R for EDM in bass department because of tighter and faster decay. Detail in midrange and treble of 4Z definitely better than Z1R in any ways, especially in good source like yours.

Yeah, I think I need to hear from somebody that's put the HEKse next to the Stealth... I love the mid- and treble-range detail on the HEKse, but for heavier rock music they're just so much less engaging than the 4Z. At the same time, even in heavier rock music, there are things I love hearing on the HEKse that don't come through in the 4Zs. They just present really clinically.

For more acoustic, instrumental, indie stuff the HEKse really shines. If the Stealth can find a middle ground between the two it might be an ideal headphone. Just wish I could audition the Stealth before I decide to send the HEKse back (I wonder if Audio46 in Manhattan has one to audition live...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back