Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 7, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #1,066 of 5,996
For DCA headphones only WyWires cables, way better than VIVO.
Which do you recommend? They have both copper and silver litz? Do you recommend these over say lavra or norne?

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #1,068 of 5,996
That's just the Head-fi effect
It's OK to be wrong.

We see new products announced on Head-fi each month. There's an initial surge of hype and then people move on. The thread dries up and becomes a ghost town.

By contrast, ZMF VC have been around for a couple of years now. Each batch of stabilised headphones - again 3k - literally sells out in seconds. Say what you will about the tuning, but they've earned their place as enduring TOTL headphones with an appeal and level of interest that extends beyond this particular community.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #1,069 of 5,996
This is a very bold and somewhat shocking statement. It caught my attention because I am considering an Arya and/or HE1000 V2 at the moment and I was concerned about lack of 'punch'. I have a large head which I think contributes to better seal and bass response/impact on a lot of headphones. Is your head also on the large side? Before seriously considering the Stealth or any $3k plus headphone I would need at least Stellia levels of bass impact/slam or 'punch'
I've already been listening to that level of bass on all my headphones and thought I would get more punch for it being a closed back, but it didn't to me. When I got the arya the bass immediately stood out, to me was it sounded more energetic and punchy. I've never had fit issues or extreme change of sound when moving the headphones around. I would say I have an average head.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #1,070 of 5,996
I guess that’s two votes for portability (even if not al fresco). The portability makes sense to the extent that Stealth are closedback (though not noise canceling, which people will prefer on airplanes). I might be odd man out since I hardly ever listen to headphones outside the house, while I imagine most people listen to speakers at home and headphones/earbuds/in-ears away from home. My use case is pretty specific: I listen to music somewhat late into the evening after work. Speakers would be too loud while the minimal noise openbacks make don’t pose a problem. I’m looking for closedback headphones mostly to keep out ambient noises such as faint traffic sounds and air conditioning.
The comfort level of Stellias is excellent. But the nice color you see on the headband goes away with time if you use it often, especially if you are bald:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/foc...nts-interview-head-fi-tv.899912/post-15502266

But when I compared them side by side with D9200, I was super annoyed, as D9200 costs half the price of Stellia, was simply clearer sounding HP with better mids balance, more open sounding, though slightly U signature. Depending on the music and your taste, you might prefer one or the other signature.

But if you really want to hit the jackpot with the first go, Rögnir is a much better choice, if you don't need portability. One issue with Rögnir, though, because the cups do not rotate on the vertical axis, it might have some pressure on your jaw bone, which might feel uncomfortable after a while. You can also bend it, of course, but I haven't tried bending.

I will hopefully know Rögnir vs Stealth in the next days.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #1,071 of 5,996
It's OK to be wrong.

We see new products announced on Head-fi each month. There's an initial surge of hype and then people move on. The thread dries up and becomes a ghost town.

By contrast, ZMF VC have been around for a couple of years now. Each batch of stabilised headphones - again 3k - literally sells out in seconds. Say what you will about the tuning, but they've earned their place as enduring TOTL headphones with an appeal and level of interest that extends beyond this particular community.
I really don't care about being "wrong" on Head-fi, as if i were to go by the overblown impressions here the Stellia (and pretty much any NEW headphone) would blow the Z1R (or pretty much any OLD headphone) out of the water. And i've found the opposite to be true on numerous occasions. Stellia might be better out of a dap or whatever poster X might be using, but in my setup, it's so much more congested, it's not even close. Though the tuning is up for discussion, soundstage and separation are not.
So opinions and interest are all well and good but I'll listen for myself and vote with my wallet. The Stealth is the only headphone to have done anything different to address the main issue with closed backs, i fail to see anything on that front in the Rognir or Verite. If it's tuning and coloring you're after you might as well throw the Hifiman R10P in with that lot, as abysmal as Head-fi considers them :)

Sep 8, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #1,073 of 5,996
You know that the Rognir is a planar closed-back, right? I.e., just like the Stealth...
I do, that's why i said you might as well throw the Hifiman R10-P in there as well. That seems to be closer to the Rognir than they are to the Stealth. I.e. same tech, nothing new.

Sep 8, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #1,074 of 5,996
I do, that's why i said you might as well throw the Hifiman R10-P in there as well. That seems to be closer to the Rognir than they are to the Stealth. I.e. same tech, nothing new.
Ok. I can see this isn't going anywhere. I literally have no idea what you're talking about.

In any case, if I may, I will defer to reliable people on this thread to provide balanced accounts of the Stealth as they compare to the Rognir.

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #1,076 of 5,996
It's a shop review but still :

"So are these all hype or a real breakthrough?"
"Yes"

I love how this could mean either of those

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #1,077 of 5,996
Which do you recommend? They have both copper and silver litz? Do you recommend these over say lavra or norne?
I preferred Silvergarde S3 to WyWires Platinum for Ether Flow.

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #1,078 of 5,996
"So are these all hype or a real breakthrough?"
"Yes"

I love how this could mean either of those
I find this dude to be consistently the worst reviewer on YouTube.

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #1,080 of 5,996
The comfort level of Stellias is excellent. But the nice color you see on the headband goes away with time if you use it often, especially if you are bald:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/foc...nts-interview-head-fi-tv.899912/post-15502266

But when I compared them side by side with D9200, I was super annoyed, as D9200 costs half the price of Stellia, was simply clearer sounding HP with better mids balance, more open sounding, though slightly U signature. Depending on the music and your taste, you might prefer one or the other signature.
completely agree. 9200 blew Stellia away in terms of detail and clarity and had more punch

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back