Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Mar 6, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #5,941 of 5,996
None of the custom cable makers make dual female XLR to SN-8-4(P) cables.
And their prices... :triportsad:

Did you email Hart audio?

He's pretty reasonable. He can probably build what you want for $100ish. Maybe less.

I know Trevor at Corpse cables will do it. He'll cost more in the $150-200 range.

I don't know customs and duties for you though.

Mar 6, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #5,942 of 5,996
To be honest, 100 euros buys me about 50 meters of Gotham Gac-3 & dozens of Neutrik connectors.
Gotham / Sommer cables and Neutrik connectors are top quality in my book : they are widely used in studios.
So I'd rather find how to do the wiring and do it myself, and I find it more fun ! All the rest of my gear uses Gotham and Neutrik anyway, so it wouldn't make sense to change cable for the headphones. I wish there was more infos online about the weird DCA connectors, but Dan Clark really went 300% lonewolf of these ones haha. N/O/B/O/D/Y uses them !!!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #5,944 of 5,996
To be honest, 100 euros buys me about 50 meters of Gotham Gac-3 & dozens of Neutrik connectors.
Gotham / Sommer cables and Neutrik connectors are top quality in my book : they are widely used in studios.
So I'd rather find how to do the wiring and do it myself, and I find it more fun ! All the rest of my gear uses Gotham and Neutrik anyway, so it wouldn't make sense to change cable for the headphones. I wish there was more infos online about the weird DCA connectors, but Dan Clark really went 300% lonewolf of these ones haha. N/O/B/O/D/Y uses them !!!
Search Hirose connectors. That’s the connector DCA uses. Somewhat common from connector shops.

Here are some distributors that carry them.

https://www.hirose.com/en/product/global-stock-information/CL0110-0501-1-73

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #5,946 of 5,996
Pardon the Interruption. I'm a transient on this site and Pro CIEM-only user, so I'm a bit out of scope as well as out of touch.

But I'm trying to build a Chord Hugo₂ᵀᵀ not a Chord Hugoᵀᵀ² this Summer.

I already unlocked Soundstage Depth on my Chord Hugo₂ᵀᵀ with Galvanic Isolation, so I'm hoping the easy part is powering it with SuperCapacitors.

Because of the possibility of extra oomph with SuperCapacitors, my current obsession with Soundstage Depth and the fact that Rob Watts main tool is the Stealth I'm taking a peek at this thread so forgive the intrusion. It's just a peek and then I'm out.

Since I run only the best cables for my Pro CIEMs, I was considering converting one of the 16-wires for a Stealth. But these cables run near the price of a Stealth, so it's out of scope.

So I purchased one of these Hirose to consider a few years back:

https://www.hirose.com/product/p/CL0110-0301-2-74#

DCA sells a knockoff last time I checked a few years ago, this is the genuine connector.

Warren Buffett Company so Solid:

https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/Hirose-Connector/HR10A-7P-4P74?qs=XQjbzJWzFPWNS09BHvWwMw==&utm_source=octopart&utm_medium=aggregator&utm_campaign=798-HR10A7P4P74&utm_content=Hirose+Electric&_gl=1*lrozbe*_ga*NzIwNzQzNDgxLjE3MDk3NzY0NTQ.*_ga_15W4STQT4T*MTcwOTc3NjQ1My4xLjEuMTcwOTc3NjQ2Ny40Ni4wLjA.*_ga_1KQLCYKRX3*MTcwOTc3NjQ1My4xLjEuMTcwOTc3NjQ2Ny4wLjAuMA..

But I've been out of the game so long you have to make sure you do your own due diligence.

Look at the datasheets for internal wiring possibilities. Especially the official Hirose site.

No time to check, but Mouser has a brief datasheet:

https://www.mouser.fr/datasheet/2/185/HR10A_7P_4P_74__CL0110_0301_2_74_2DDrawing_0000959-1617791.pdf

Good luck

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #5,948 of 5,996
Mar 7, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #5,949 of 5,996
Hey mister Watermelon !
I used to have a Phonitor 2, now I want a Phonitor 2 or 3 + extension.
I'm having the big HPs listening session today (Aeon, Stealth, Expanse, E3, Heddphone 2, Composer).
I'll probably buy the amp very soon too.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #5,950 of 5,996
Hey mister Watermelon !
I used to have a Phonitor 2, now I want a Phonitor 2 or 3 + extension.
I'm having the big HPs listening session today (Aeon, Stealth, Expanse, E3, Heddphone 2, Composer).
I'll probably buy the amp very soon too.
If you haven't bought anything yet, I would highly recommend checking the RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE. This way, you won't need adaptors and cables, and it has crossfeed etc. if that is something you need. What is the reason for staying with SPL?

https://rme-audio.de/adi-2-4-pro-se.html

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #5,951 of 5,996
Ok I'll make sure to inspect the features and specs of this one, as I see many big players on Head-fi swear by it.

I'm afraid I'll need the analog crossfeed matrix of the SPL anyway. Because the headphone amp is susceptible to be used with both an analog audio feed (coming from a console) and a digital one (coming from a computer). If RME allows for DSP processing of an analog input with marginal latency, then why not, absolutely !

I read that it's dangerous to plug/unplug headphones without muting the output of the SPL (it's in the manual I think, and people talked about it on head-fi already). It has to do with the 120V technology.
So one must be very cautious before buying a Phonitor, and make sure its envisioned setup mitigates any need for headphones hot-swap. The monitor extension would provide a solution, and open up the door to a 5 headphone rig at some point, which is not to displease me ^^.

Production industry standard, workhorse, daily driver : Beyerdynamic DT770 ?
Reference, neutral : DCA Stealth or E3 ?
Bassy warm-ish one : Focal Radiance ? Audeze LCD-4 ? DCA Expanse ?
Detail monster : ribbon, maybe electrostat if an energiser fits in the setup, or an Audeze LCD-5 ?
Cheap best sellers : Marshall, Apple, JBL, something like that ?

All that available via a stepped 4 position switch and another 2 position switch... Potentially individually gain matched via passive attenuators ?

Pretty compelling... Hehe
"Go big or go home !"

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #5,952 of 5,996
Ok I'll make sure to inspect the features and specs of this one, as I see many big players on Head-fi swear by it.

I'm afraid I'll need the analog crossfeed matrix of the SPL anyway. Because the headphone amp is susceptible to be used with both an analog audio feed (coming from a console) and a digital one (coming from a computer). If RME allows for DSP processing of an analog input with marginal latency, then why not, absolutely !
It should as it is mainly a pro-audio device for such use cases.
I read that it's dangerous to plug/unplug headphones without muting the output of the SPL (it's in the manual I think, and people talked about it on head-fi already). It has to do with the 120V technology.
So one must be very cautious before buying a Phonitor, and make sure its envisioned setup mitigates any need for headphones hot-swap. The monitor extension would provide a solution, and open up the door to a 5 headphone rig at some point, which is not to displease me ^^.
I read about this, too, and it was my main reason to suggest an alternative. I am not sure if it is still an issue
Production industry standard, workhorse, daily driver : Beyerdynamic DT770 ?
Reference, neutral : DCA Stealth or E3 ?
Bassy warm-ish one : Focal Radiance ? Audeze LCD-4 ? DCA Expanse ?
Detail monster : ribbon, maybe electrostat if an energiser fits in the setup, or an Audeze LCD-5 ?
Cheap best sellers : Marshall, Apple, JBL, something like that ?

All that available via a stepped 4 position switch and another 2 position switch... Potentially individually gain matched via passive attenuators ?

Pretty compelling... Hehe
"Go big or go home !"
I would be careful in this "hobby", which is for many rather a shopping theraphy. :) So it becomes like swallowing the "medicine" of somebody else as it has worked for him - for a while until he grew immune to it. I didn't catch your full use case but if you want to use it also in a studio etc. comfort, weight and ease of use are very important factors. With that in mind, I think DCAs are very good candidates. I am sure you will be happy with any of them (though I haven't tried the E3 yet). I would also throw the Austrian Audio Composer in the list which is also a very comfortable and well tuned HP that can be easily driven - though I prefer Expanse over it.

Why I recommended RME is that it has the DSP power enough to EQ two HPs or one HP and one audio-in in parallel with separate volume controls. Plus it has a PC/iPad control SW which can save you time from knob tweaking.

https://rme-audio.de/software.html

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #5,953 of 5,996
Ok guys so I've listened to many headphones... DCA Stealth, DCA Expanse, DCA E3, Aeon closed, AA Composer, Heddphone Two, Final Audio D7000 et D8000.

The Stealth has a breathtaking sound. It has been a transformative experience, but I can't buy them. No way. Because of the fit. I have a little head, and the seal doesn't work correctly on my head. I need to push the headphones a bit for the sub to chime in. What a shame. And furthermore, the sound changes A L.O.T when you position the headphones up, down, left, right relative to the ears. It's not subtle at all for me, it's a constant (unpleasant) rollercoaster. What a ****ING SHAME my god. Because when I had them positioned just right, with a good seal (my hands applying a small pressure), the sound was just so immersive, so right, so resolving, so detailed but not overbearing. I heard things on the the Stealth I don't quite hear on all the other (except the Heddphone Two, that have a ridiculous amount of detail too). It's above all the rest to me. "The Stealth sound is just the plain truth", is what I thought.

Quickly, all the headphones :

Stealth :
incredible sound, neutral, resolving, but impossible fit for my small head, and the AMTS makes the sound change too much. The most beautiful HPs I've seen in my life. These are just incredibly beautiful and solid... It's like there's made for space travel with the Harkonnens. Wow.
A Stealth mk2 that corrects all the bad things I've said about them ? I'd buy that.

Expanse : Very good sound, lots of details too, even more spacial than the Stealth, yes, you have a few more meters of depht in the global presentation compared to the Stealth (I don't find that necessarily useful, I prefer the Stealth). But the tuning is not to my taste. I find it slightly "muddy" and it's weird to say that, because appart from the "mud" tuned in, all the rest is spot on, Stealth-like. Nice headphones. Almost but not quite closed. Some passive attenuation. "Semi-open" ?

E3 : Very good sound, indeed... more Slam, that's weird. The voices are pushed forward, upper mid are there, and incredible. Good bass (100hz bump is there, you feel it).

But I have a problem with the unit I tried sadly :frowning2: ... I heard a bass port sound on this track : Max Cooper - Resynthesis. On the kick in the intro. I hear something that craps out at low level. I think it has been documented already, some have heard it. It was there on the unit I tried. If someone has a E3 at home, I'd be curious to know if you hear it on your E3.

The E3 is the improved version of my DT770. It improves on all aspects. It share the same tuning (the slightly hot upper-mids are useful in the studio), but it kills it ten times on details, shear speed, sound fidelity, everything...

I really like the E3. But I can't stand the bass port farts.

Super confortable, excellent seal, stable sound, no matter the fit.

Aeon closed : very good sound too, it's a less mesmerizing E3. Very nice HPs for the price, yes. And no bass port sound I think...?
I've heard it quickly, it's a better DT770, again.

The Composer : very well executed sound. Clean tuning. Balanced. The curve doesn't say everything : this thing has bass. It's hard to fault it to be honest. It's a perfectly balanced, familiar "dynamic driver" sound. Very different from the glassy sounds of the DCA planars.

Heddphone Two : wow, this thing has so much details... I've never heard something like this. And again, the curve doesn't say everything, it has bass too. Not as much as the E3, but yeah... Super impressed. Not confortable at all. Heavy, strong clamp, won't work if you have big ears, as I felt restricted, and I have very small ears. When on the Stealth I said the details were not overbearing, I think it could become overbearing on the Heddphone 2. Too much sollicitations, almost. If I buy it, I'll use it as an unconfortable mix magnifying glass. Not a daily driver. A specialized tool.

I find that the Heddphone are quite complimentary to the E3. The Yin and the Yang. The bass of the E3, the fine granularity of the Hedd (E3 has details too, but on the Hedd, it's on steroid).

Final Audio D7000/D8000 : very pleasant sound, but warm. Tilted. Still, lots of qualities.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #5,954 of 5,996
E3 : Very good sound, indeed... more Slam, that's weird. The voices are pushed forward, upper mid are there, and incredible. Good bass (100hz bump is there, you feel it).

But I have a problem with the unit I tried sadly :frowning2:... I heard a bass port sound on this track : Max Cooper - Resynthesis. On the kick in the intro. I hear something that craps out at low level. I think it has been documented already, some have heard it. It was there on the unit I tried. If someone has a E3 at home, I'd be curious to know if you hear it on your E3.

The E3 is the improved version of my DT770. It improves on all aspects. It share the same tuning (the slightly hot upper-mids are useful in the studio), but it kills it ten times on details, shear speed, sound fidelity, everything...

I really like the E3. But I can't stand the bass port farts. :frowning2:

I am listening to this now for you, I am at around 85db peak (guesstimate based on my listening experience), and I don't hear any farts or Bass port chuffing noise. Resynthesis is a great track btw, love MC.

A few notes:
Listening with DCA 4.4mm premium cable through Xduoo XD05 Pro on Turbo Mode with volume on 50% via USB-C from Mac Studio/Apple Music 16/44.1 but I have THIN wire frame glasses on (which the Stealth actually caused me to change my computer glasses all to so I could get a good seal) and the E3 fit my head VERY WELL from a clamp perspective, as I mentioned some posts ago, I wish the cups could be a round shape vs oblong but..........I don't really wish for silly stuff.

yep entire song through and not any chuffing, nor with Binaural version.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #5,955 of 5,996
Ok guys so I've listened to many headphones... DCA Stealth, DCA Expanse, DCA E3, Aeon closed, AA Composer, Heddphone Two, Final Audio D7000 et D8000.

The Stealth has a breathtaking sound. It has been a transformative experience, but I can't buy them. No way. Because of the fit. I have a little head, and the seal doesn't work correctly on my head. I need to push the headphones a bit for the sub to chime in. What a shame. And furthermore, the sound changes A L.O.T when you position the headphones up, down, left, right relative to the ears. It's not subtle at all for me, it's a constant (unpleasant) rollercoaster. What a ****ING SHAME my god. Because when I had them positioned just right, with a good seal (my hands applying a small pressure), the sound was just so immersive, so right, so resolving, so detailed but not overbearing. I heard things on the the Stealth I don't quite hear on all the other (except the Heddphone Two, that have a ridiculous amount of detail too). It's above all the rest to me. "The Stealth sound is just the plain truth", is what I thought.

Quickly, all the headphones :

Stealth :
incredible sound, neutral, resolving, but impossible fit for my small head, and the AMTS makes the sound change too much. The most beautiful HPs I've seen in my life. These are just incredibly beautiful and solid... It's like there's made for space travel with the Harkonnens. Wow.
A Stealth mk2 that corrects all the bad things I've said about them ? I'd buy that.

Expanse : Very good sound, lots of details too, even more spacial than the Stealth, yes, you have a few more meters of depht in the global presentation compared to the Stealth (I don't find that necessarily useful, I prefer the Stealth). But the tuning is not to my taste. I find it slightly "muddy" and it's weird to say that, because appart from the "mud" tuned in, all the rest is spot on, Stealth-like. Nice headphones. Almost but not quite closed. Some passive attenuation. "Semi-open" ?

But I have a problem with the unit I tried sadly :frowning2: ... I heard a bass port sound on this track : Max Cooper - Resynthesis. On the kick in the intro. I hear something that craps out at low level. I think it has been documented already, some have heard it. It was there on the unit I tried. If someone has a E3 at home, I'd be curious to know if you hear it on your E3.

I really like the E3. But I can't stand the bass port farts.

Super confortable, excellent seal, stable sound, no matter the fit.

Aeon closed : very good sound too, it's a less mesmerizing E3. Very nice HPs for the price, yes. And no bass port sound I think...?
I've heard it quickly, it's a better DT770, again.

The Composer : very well executed sound. Clean tuning. Balanced. The curve doesn't say everything : this thing has bass. It's hard to fault it to be honest. It's a perfectly balanced, familiar "dynamic driver" sound. Very different from the glassy sounds of the DCA planars.

Heddphone Two : wow, this thing has so much details... I've never heard something like this. And again, the curve doesn't say everything, it has bass too. Not as much as the E3, but yeah... Super impressed. Not confortable at all. Heavy, strong clamp, won't work if you have big ears, as I felt restricted, and I have very small ears.

I find that the Heddphone are quite complimentary to the E3. The Yin and the Yang. The bass of the E3, the fine granularity of the Hedd (E3 has details too, but on the Hedd, it's on steroid).

Final Audio D7000/D8000 : very pleasant sound, but warm. Tilted. Still, lots of qualities.

You can adjust the Stealth to fit smaller heads. It requires some bending of the nitinol, but others have done with with success. You are not alone in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back