Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 27, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #5,207 of 5,996
Main difference is that the Stealth feel more open. The Stealth have lower distortion and more detail, which makes differences on source material way more evident, I haven't heard another headphone as transparent as the Stealth.
Understood. Thank you

Oct 3, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #5,208 of 5,996
Main difference is that the Stealth feel more open. The Stealth have lower distortion and more detail, which makes differences on source material way more evident, I haven't heard another headphone as transparent as the Stealth.

Stealth is the REAL OPEN Experience in comparison to Expanse 👍

NOMAX

Oct 3, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #5,209 of 5,996
Stealth is the REAL OPEN Experience in comparison to Expanse 👍

NOMAX

Nomax, you're a man of few, but choice, words!

I will elaborate my thoughts on this. I prefer open back headphones. Their biggest advantage is actually having the sound of the room you're in penetrate the headphones and make it feel like the music is being played in the room and not headphones.

The Expanse, being semi-open (like all of DCA's "open" headphones), actually block out quite a bit of ambient noise and so it pretty much feels like you're wearing closed headphones that don't isolate too well. For someone that is sensitive to that claustrophobic feeling that closed headphones can cause, I get the same feeling with the Expanse after a while. The Stealth gives all the advantages of a closed back (really great isolation), and sounds more open, with pinpoint imaging, and a more balanced bass/mids/treble (to me)! Because of that, I don't see myself preferring Expanse to Stealth.

If the Expanse were true open backs, there would be a benefit to me. Therefore I am still firmly in camp Stealth!

Unless 200 hours of burn is where Expanse really changes and opens up...it's going to be tough for me to change my opinion.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #5,210 of 5,996
Cross post from Expanse thread since my thoughts are also about the Stealth:

I have had Stealth for about 4 months and Expanse a couple weeks.

Expanse has a couple hundred hours on it most likely.

Some raw notes on some differences between Expanse and Stealth that I am noticing:

Expanse:
Mid bass is more visceral and textural
thicker notes leaning on warmer notes.
There is an extra ethereal addition to the notes. It is like a tiny bit of reverb/musicality/fun added to each note.
Intimate but wider stage than Stealth. The sound is focused throughout the stage (intimate stage for an open back)

Stealth:
Sub bass is more visceral
leaner notes
timbre is very exact on everything. Instruments and vocals.
Detail retrieval is unprecedented.
More intimate sound. The sound is brought focused in the middle and then spreads out from there (intimate stage with more openness than any closed back I have heard.

They are different enough to justify keeping both. Justifications are needed with any addiction!

Best comments I have read about the two:
Stealth is the most open back of a closed back HP and Expanse is the most closed back of any open back HP

Stealth is like being in a recording studio and Expanse is like being at an intimate live concert with great sound.

Oct 3, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #5,212 of 5,996
Today on Stealth...

Nice idea .. I forgot a little bit this old surprising album from 1976.

The only difference with you is that, for two weeks now, I am in powerful HEDDphone One mood :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile: ... and sound quality from Qobuz is really good for such old recording !! it suits very well the HEDDphone

For sure in a week or two, I will listen again this full album with a lot of pleasure, when I will be back in a more quite and precise "Stealth mood" :beerchug:

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #5,213 of 5,996
I have had Stealth for about 4 months and Expanse a couple weeks.
Expanse has a couple hundred hours on it most likely.
My god!
Simple math tells me you listened to the expanse more than 14 hours a day, everyday for two weeks (14 days , 200 hours).
You must have lost sleep.
Between eating, and going to toilet, you didn't have time for it, take a week off please.

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #5,214 of 5,996
My god!
Simple math tells me you listened to the expanse more than 14 hours a day, everyday for two weeks (14 days , 200 hours).
Between eating, and going to toilet, you didn't have time for it, take a week off please.
or you let them burn around the clock when not listening...

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #5,216 of 5,996
Nice idea .. I forgot a little bit this old surprising album from 1976.

The only difference with you is that, for two weeks now, I am in powerful HEDDphone One mood :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile: ... and sound quality from Qobuz is really good for such old recording !! it suits very well the HEDDphone

For sure in a week or two, I will listen again this full album with a lot of pleasure, when I will be back in a more quite and precise "Stealth mood" :beerchug:
I love this album and also the live recording "what need have I for this...". All Shakti albums are good actually but this these two legendary. Hard to find this kind of extraordinary musicianship these days.
Enjoy your HEDDphone! :beerchug:

Oct 3, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #5,217 of 5,996
My god!
I have listened to the Expanse a ton but yes a buddy had them for a week and burnt them in while not listening before I had them and then I had them on burn in while not listening for a number of days. Hence the 200 hour guesstimate. :)

I usually do not do the burn-in thing but this time I did for whatever reason.

Oct 3, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #5,219 of 5,996
So, anyone tried the Stealth on a CFA-3?
I’ve tried/own both Stealth and Expanse and use a CFA3. Both are good pairings. Caveat, I’ve found very few headphones that don’t sound really good with the CFA3.

Oct 3, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #5,220 of 5,996
I had the stealth before I owned the cfa3...I concur with the post above...most everything sounds great on the cfa3 and the expanse is no exception

Users who are viewing this thread

Back