Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Dec 12, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #2,791 of 5,996
Power wise the a90 would be more than able, quality wise is another question
🎯:nail_care::head_bandage: - Hit the nail on the head. I used the A90 with the Stealth for a few songs.......a few songs. I was fortunate to have several other amps on hand and quickly shelved the A90 in favor of something not sounding like an ice cube feels. The Stealth are very neutral and benefit greatly from Tubes, Greatly.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #2,792 of 5,996
🎯:nail_care::head_bandage: - Hit the nail on the head. I used the A90 with the Stealth for a few songs.......a few songs. I was fortunate to have several other amps on hand and quickly shelved the A90 in favor of something not sounding like an ice cube feels. The Stealth are very neutral and benefit greatly from Tubes, Greatly.
I wouldn't call my Stealth very neutral ... it's a more a perfect Harman target, than a flat response, which means already a real V shape response curve .. with significantly more pronounced low frequencies than some (like me) would search.
I still wonder if most tubes won't exaggerate the harman target for a Stealth.

Dec 13, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #2,794 of 5,996
I wouldn't call my Stealth very neutral ... it's a more a perfect Harman target, than a flat response, which means already a real V shape response curve .. with significantly more pronounced low frequencies than some (like me) would search.
But isn't the Harman target about a how a flat neutral speaker sounds like in a room? So it is neutral in a sense of emulating a neutral speaker in a room. A flat FR isn't neutral at all for a pair of HP on the head.

Dec 13, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #2,795 of 5,996
But isn't the Harman target about a how a flat neutral speaker sounds like in a room? So it is neutral in a sense of emulating a neutral speaker in a room. A flat FR isn't neutral at all for a pair of HP on the head.
Of course, I agree with you ...
But a flat low and ultra low frequencies can be appreciated by many (like me)...though at low volume level, I also like the kind of 80's loudness feature of the Harman target, even if low frequencies are becoming a bit muddy and offer less clear impacts.
It's quite well known that Harman target is fine for more or less 50% of the music listeners, not really more.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #2,796 of 5,996
I would suggest listening to the interview done with dan clark by mrphotography. Which I think is linked to in this thread. Dan elaborates on the Harman target and the stealth.

Dec 13, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #2,798 of 5,996
Of course, I agree with you ...
But a flat low and ultra low frequencies can be appreciated by many (like me)...though at low volume level, I also like the kind of 80's loudness feature of the Harman target, even if low frequencies are becoming a bit muddy and offer less clear impacts.
It's quite well known that Harman target is fine for more or less 50% of the music listeners, not really more.
I may not fully understand what you said but I would partially agree to the point where I appreciate and applaud the Stealth for the way the bass performance is on lower volume levels.

The loudness wars, which is the killing of dynamics, would indeed excel more on something like the Stealth because it takes into consideration the amount of boost needed on the bass to give the same response of flat neutral speakers in a room. Larger dynamic range tracks would have too much latitude for the ear and brain to process and nitpick what's going on... information overload.

Dec 13, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #2,799 of 5,996
Hi, I would like to know if Topping A90 could drive DCA Stealth properly.
Yes, I'm doing it right now and the bass is making my jawbone rattle

Power wise the a90 would be more than able, quality wise is another question
No, it's not, unless you like the sound of an amp's "color" in which case some overpriced tube machination may be a better choice

Dec 13, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #2,800 of 5,996

No worries....it will be less with the time 😉

NOMAX

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #2,801 of 5,996
Love that video interview by the Source. I feel rest assured Dan won't be swayed by opinions in the forums that the Stealth needs more bass or what not.

Interestingly with my setup, the best sound is having the metamaterial touch the front end of my helix down to the tragus and my ear is set a bit forward and up from the center of the ear cups (1:30 clock). I get the best coherence, realism and balance with the Hugo 2. I've tried the suggested back and up position, (10 o'clock) but the midbass gets to clumpy and the incoherence on the vocals is uncomfortable.

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #2,802 of 5,996

Studio monitors are neutral, not HiFi speakers. So if you want to use a benchmark, use that.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #2,805 of 5,996
I don't understand, what do "cheap smps" sound like?
It's what everyone is saying ...on the thin and anemic side. Ppl say it sounds clean but it really lacks a lot of midbass and mids to support the vocals. Plus it's nested feedback...which means it's designed to have good measurements but not designed for good audio.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back