Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Aug 28, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #2,267 of 2,599
This is why I wear soft contact lenses now. No problems from having glasses on my face!

:L3000:

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #2,268 of 2,599
It's fine to enjoy listening to low-quality music. I'm not trying to say that people should only listen to high-quality music. My issue is that people will call objectively high-performance audio equipment "bad" because it tells the truth about their bad music. There is a difference between subjective enjoyment and actual performance. We shouldn't call high performance gear bad because it doesn't flatter low-quality music. It confuses the industry when we put flattering audio equipment on a pedestal and denounce revealing gear. For example, DMS called the Expanse "congested" in his review. It is not the Expanse which is congested, it is his music that is congested. The Expanse is just showing that to him honestly. When you feed them quality music, their soundstage and imaging opens up considerably.
High Fidelity’s not woke enough for me, I prefer a dishonest performance, it totally aligns with my other beliefs which are all 100% wrong.

Aug 28, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #2,269 of 2,599
So the cable connection on the left ear cup came out and is hanging by the wires. Called DCA and they said send it in. UPS tried to deliver twice and UPS said the business was closed.

Called DCA support and they said someone messed with their doorbell, and that I need to call UPS and I give them DCAs main line to the driver so they can call and let them know they are there. UPS says the driver can't make phone calls.

Called DCA back, and Sue says she is in Connecticut and there is nothing she can do except have someone look out for the UPS truck and hopefully they will see them.

So I spent 4k on a set of cans, to have the connector just fall out, then spent $100 to shipping because I insured it for the entire cost and now I can't get it delivered because of a busted doorbell. Sue says it is UPSs fault and they are terrible, so it is UPSs fault because of DCAs busted doorbell.

This is the kind of customer support 4k buys you these days.

This entire experience has soured me on DCA no matter how good the cans sound, and I may sell these after I get them back. It's terrible that Sue tried to blame UPS when they actually did their job and tried to deliver the package, and it's DCA fault for not anwering the door when UPS shows up.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #2,270 of 2,599
My journey to find the ultimate DAP to replace all desktops continues. In the end, I settled with the A&K devices for one main reason: There are system level EQ/PEQ and crossfeed (!) functions that are available not just with Qobuz etc, but even in bluetooth and USB DAC modes, which is unique. For all other features, I still would prefer the Shanling M9+ or the FiiO M15S, but EQ and crossfeed features are just excellent! My latest discovery is the CA1000T , and it seems to be just the right thing if you are looking for a hassle free EQ and crossfeed on a semi portable device. I will sell the two portables I have and will use this for a while (I hope to receive it soon). Let's see if it will make it to my signature.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #2,271 of 2,599
My journey to find the ultimate DAP to replace all desktops continues. In the end, I settled with the A&K devices for one main reason: There are system level EQ/PEQ and crossfeed (!) functions that are available not just with Qobuz etc, but even in bluetooth and USB DAC modes, which is unique. For all other features, I still would prefer the Shanling M9+ or the FiiO M15S, but EQ and crossfeed features are just excellent! My latest discovery is the CA1000T , and it seems to be just the right thing if you are looking for a hassle free EQ and crossfeed on a semi portable device. I will sell the two portables I have and will use this for a while (I hope to receive it soon). Let's see if it will make it to my signature.

What EQ do you run on the Expanse? When I'm listening to EDM I put in a little shelf below 80hz but that's about it.

Aug 29, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #2,272 of 2,599
What EQ do you run on the Expanse? When I'm listening to EDM I put in a little shelf below 80hz but that's about it.
I don't use any EQ with Expanse. If I need some crisp / airy highs, I just move it backwards and up (opposite of the suggested position) and it is there. A built-in EQ. :) Bass is as good as it gets - for me. But I rediscovered the crossfeed and really enjoy it with some recordings.

After listening to several other HPs at CanJam, I appreciate the treble of Expanse even more. It might sound like an exaggeration but is really HE-1 level clean.

Aug 30, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #2,273 of 2,599
I don't use any EQ with Expanse. If I need some crisp / airy highs, I just move it backwards and up (opposite of the suggested position) and it is there. A built-in EQ. :)

At least someone for me who does his job when he puts on a pair of headphones 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #2,274 of 2,599
I realize I'm replying to an older comment here but just wanted to chime in and say I love my Expanse + R800i which is "only" $2k and gives 48W of tube power.
The dynamics are crazy with that much headroom. I got the 805 tube version and it's just so very powerful. Woke my Expanse up a lot vs my Jotunheim 2.

I haven't seen anyone else using the Expanse with these Willsenton amps so I'm trying to spread the word. Even the $1k R8 was great but the R800i was worth the extra to me personally.

Have you heard the Expanse with the Holo Bliss? I would love to replicate the experience I get on the R800i but with something solid state and more reasonably sized.
What taps do you use on the 800i
And could you provide a photo

Sep 3, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #2,275 of 2,599
@DarginMahkum
How is rme adi 2 with the expanse as a converter?
If anyone else has an opinion on the subject I would be very happy to hear it!
I understand that it does not have a caressing sound, the question is how is it in terms of transparency and detail,
Thanks!

Sep 3, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #2,276 of 2,599
@DarginMahkum
How is rme adi 2 with the expanse as a converter?
If anyone else has an opinion on the subject I would be very happy to hear it!
I understand that it does not have a caressing sound, the question is how is it in terms of transparency and detail,
Thanks!
ADI-2 is as transparent as it gets. For some, too transparent, as it doesn't add or remove any extra bass or treble. As I said before, there's no desktop unit for me that can replace it regardless of the price, as there are no desktop units with a similar DSP feature set. This is my honest opinion, and it replaced a T+A HA200 and I didn't even look back.

One mistake people do is, they buy it and say it is too neutral and then sell it - without even trying and learning the DSP features and the PEQ. It is a pro audio unit, so it will not have a "signature" out of the box, but it will let you create your own. It is not an easy to use one initially but once you use it for a few days and get used to the menu navigation, you will be fine.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #2,277 of 2,599
ADI-2 is as transparent as it gets. For some, too transparent, as it doesn't add or remove any extra bass or treble. As I said before, there's no desktop unit for me that can replace it regardless of the price, as there are no desktop units with a similar DSP feature set. This is my honest opinion, and it replaced a T+A HA200 and I didn't even look back.

One mistake people do is, they buy it and say it is too neutral and then sell it - without even trying and learning the DSP features and the PEQ. It is a pro audio unit, so it will not have a "signature" out of the box, but it will let you create your own. It is not an easy to use one initially but once you use it for a few days and get used to the menu navigation, you will be fine.
Thanks,
I have a feeling that in the studio field there are excellent things at a reasonable price,
Or that a studio product is worth its price,
Maybe audiophiles won't admit it,
In my opinion and to my taste, what is important is the transparency and resolution, that is, the ability of the converter to transmit the recording in its entirety as much as possible, I am looking for a neutral,
only then tonality,
The question is how detailed and revealing the adi 2 is.

Sep 4, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #2,278 of 2,599
A note about the the SMSL SP400+M400 stack for others who might be considering it . . . . . it sounds fantastic. The stepped attenuator is flawless. No channel imbalance whatsoever. Even on low gain the SP400 drives the Expanse with speed and authority! That's what 12 watts into 16 ohms/6 watts into 32 ohms gets you-No need to ever turn it on high gain. Effortless- Also, the super slow filter on the dac sounds the best. It is the smoothest and most realistic. The other filters have a bit of harshness to them.
The SP400 only outputs 4W or so max. Unfortunately some manufacturers have been deceiving people with their stated output power by listing peak, instead of RMS. If a box that small could output 12W of power, it would get hot enough to burn your hand, and destroy the components inside.

What is more, the SMSL (and other) THX amps really sound flat, with no soundstage depth. Whatever they did to lower the THD clearly screwed up other things. My guess is the combination of cheap switching power supplies, which need noise filtering on the output to be usable. That, in my experience with power supply filtering, harms the amplification.
This entire experience has soured me on DCA no matter how good the cans sound, and I may sell these after I get them back. It's terrible that Sue tried to blame UPS when they actually did their job and tried to deliver the package, and it's DCA fault for not anwering the door when UPS shows up.
I used to work with couriers. They really don't give a toss, and often will try and avoid delivering a package if they can just leave as fast as possible for any reason at all. Sometimes crap just happens. I just had a very expensive product arrive from overseas that was DOA, after a screw up with the customs paperwork that delayed delivery. Thankfully the company was quick to get it sorted, but it's still annoying as hell.

If you want to really know about screw-ups: Radio Paradise just released their new phone app while the owner is at Burning Man. The app is near completely broken. While he is stuck in the mud, his radio station is stuck with non-functioning software.

Sep 4, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #2,279 of 2,599
Another thing I can wholeheartedly recommend is the xDuoo XD05 Pro. It is battery powered (13600 mAh) but can also be powered from an external supply. It can work as a USB/SPDIF DAC/amp, BT DAC/amp and amplifier only (4.4mm input). It has great clean sound. If you are into that, it has replaceable opamps for amplifier tweaking the sound (comes with a second set of opamps), even replaceable DAC modules (which for me is a gimmick). It comes with a full box of stuff you might need and a clean, transparent sound. I can highly recommend.

1693834567666.png

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #2,280 of 2,599
I would like to add another word to Mitch filters for the Expanse.
My initial impression was very positive, but after more listening I came to conclusion that I like what it is doing for the lower registers.

On the other hand upper midrange/lower treble area - more or less where the vocals are placed aka ear gain my initial impression has changed a bit.
With harsher recordings I like the effect, it's easier to listen especially at higher levels.
It changes when the recording has no issues with sibilants, spatial effects are a bit compromised - it's not a big change but definitely not something I would like to have with every recording.
So it's highly recording dependent which version of Expanse (Mitch or stock) I prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back