Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Feb 21, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #1,832 of 2,594
I asked for a tighter clamping force and DCA had me send them in to install longer screws in the yokes as has been pictured here previously.

The longer screws allow you to adjust the clamping force. Only downside is if you make it too tight, the top of the cups will sometimes contact the yokes.

Feb 22, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #1,833 of 2,594
I asked for a tighter clamping force and DCA had me send them in to install longer screws in the yokes as has been pictured here previously.

The longer screws allow you to adjust the clamping force. Only downside is if you make it too tight, the top of the cups will sometimes contact the yokes.
Short Update from my side.
DCA sent me some screws ( which are still on the way, I didn't have to send my pair in tho)

In the instructions they mentioned some washer plates to fine tune the clamping force.

I will give another Update when they arrived.

While this sounds promising for Expanse and Stealth, it won't work on Corina. Hopefully the slightly increased base clamp force will be enough

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #1,834 of 2,594
Feb 23, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #1,836 of 2,594
Feb 23, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #1,837 of 2,594
Looking forward to some impressions from CanJam this weekend, hopefully.
I hope Jude measures it and compares it to Expanse and Voce with 22 pads

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #1,838 of 2,594
I hope Jude measures it and compares it to Expanse and Voce with 22 pads
Maybe we will see a video similar to the Stealth and Expanse vids. Time will tell I suppose.

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #1,839 of 2,594
Maybe we will see a video similar to the Stealth and Expanse vids. Time will tell I suppose.
That's what I'm hoping for.

However After how well the Expanse hit my taste, I certainly will get the Corina to try for myself.

I also love how the official description had to mention the bottom end twice in this section.
"Corina’s new tuning offers a weightier and more percussive bottom end, with a wider and deeper soundstage, a stronger bottom end, and a smoother, richer midrange"
Well if that doesnt sound like the perfect estat signature for me...

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #1,840 of 2,594
However After how well the Expanse hit my taste, I certainly will get the Corina to try for myself.

The Expanse already struck me as somewhat stat like, hence my earlier comparisons to the HE60. Given this, I am very, very intrigued.

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #1,841 of 2,594
I'm having a hard time getting accustomed to the "reference" bass of the Expanse. Coming from my other gear, there just seems to be a general lack of support of the lower registers. Some added beef down low would really benefit these cans. Particularly for my preferred music.

They are certainly super detailed, clear, and well-damped. And the soundstage is wide and very tall, but not terribly deep. I feel like I'm in the 1st row. It seems as though the depth suffers partly because the bass rumble and full feeling of atmosphere are missing.

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #1,842 of 2,594
I’m intrigued by these. The highest end headphones I have are Focal Clears and LCD-X running off an Asgard. I’m not a fan of the Clears because the soundstage feels really claustrophobic. Like, I prefer my JM modded HE-R9s over the Clears.

Reading that it’s semi-open back, I’m thinking it might even be even more tight than the Clears. How does the soundstage compare?

Feb 23, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #1,843 of 2,594
I'm having a hard time getting accustomed to the "reference" bass of the Expanse. Coming from my other gear, there just seems to be a general lack of support of the lower registers. Some added beef down low would really benefit these cans. Particularly for my preferred music.

They are certainly super detailed, clear, and well-damped. And the soundstage is wide and very tall, but not terribly deep. I feel like I'm in the 1st row. It seems as though the depth suffers partly because the bass rumble and full feeling of atmosphere are missing.

What's your preferred genres? Yea, for sure, for some they will just be lacking in that regard to other headphones. No question. More so really worth it for the genres the Expanse really excels in.

It does continue to surprise me that soundstage keeps coming up, as even though it isn't remarkable by any means, overall the staging is done well imo. I find it more deep than it is wide, although substantially wide enough. But it sounds like the bass impact/sub-bass is taking away from that for you I think.

Feb 23, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #1,844 of 2,594
I agree for the most part. IMO the soundstage height is the real winner. Probably the tallest stage I've heard, relative to the width and depth. I agree that it might be slightly deeper than wide, but that's not saying much about the width. "Wide enough" might be a good description, but not "ample" width, which I would prefer considering the overall stage being so intimate. I'd prefer much more depth, a bit less height, for the given width of the Expanse. That would put me back in the 3rd row or even further, which would be just about right for the given width.

Feb 24, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #1,845 of 2,594

Did you try applying some slight pressure on the earcups and does that increase the Bass for you?

The Expanse has remarkable Bass quantity therefore I suspect a seal issue due to low clamping force.

It's really strange how the experience from Person to Person is so different for the DCA flagships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back