Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Jan 22, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #1,622 of 2,599
Expanse is back and (again) not looking for a new home. This HP really confused me, especially after listening to Stealth exclusively for a year. Since yesterday I am rediscovering it, but with a difference: I am wearing them in a different position, more up and back. At least for the shape of my ears it sounds more crisp both mids and treble and makes up for the thickness I was indecisive about in the beginning. Maybe I got used to it but I was surprised that I preferred the tuning to my beloved Stealth(s) this evening. Hmmm...
It’s defective, toxic garbage. Put it in a box, PM me, I’ll give you an address and send you the shipment cost. I’ll dispose of it. :p

I’ve listened to both and I prefer the Stealth - but they really are both very competent. What you may be enjoying is the wider, taller soundstage with gives you better separation. Stealth’s bass sounds more natural to me, but really not by much. It’s hard to pick one over the other… Have fun pickin ‘em apart :)

Jan 22, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #1,623 of 2,599
I was trying to say something else (positioning) but it is OK.
exactly, people make objective statements of fact and then determine a change in position of the HP completely changes their opinion...I am not attacking you just suggesting so many variables exist

Jan 23, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #1,624 of 2,599
Expanse is back and (again) not looking for a new home. This HP really confused me, especially after listening to Stealth exclusively for a year. Since yesterday I am rediscovering it, but with a difference: I am wearing them in a different position, more up and back. At least for the shape of my ears it sounds more crisp both mids and treble and makes up for the thickness I was indecisive about in the beginning. Maybe I got used to it but I was surprised that I preferred the tuning to my beloved Stealth(s) this evening. Hmmm...
Do you think the differences between Susvara and Expanse are significant enough to own both? I'm still thinking about an open-back flagship to complement the Stealth, was leaning towards Susvara just to have some manufacturer variety, but I had the impression the two were very similar (pleasant, resolving, comfortable, neutral tuning).

Jan 23, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #1,625 of 2,599
Do you think the differences between Susvara and Expanse are significant enough to own both? I'm still thinking about an open-back flagship to complement the Stealth, was leaning towards Susvara just to have some manufacturer variety, but I had the impression the two were very similar (pleasant, resolving, comfortable, neutral tuning).
The tuning is quite different actually.
Expanse is close to Harman while Susvara is something entirely different

Jan 23, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #1,626 of 2,599
It’s defective, toxic garbage. Put it in a box, PM me, I’ll give you an address and send you the shipment cost. I’ll dispose of it. :p

I’ve listened to both and I prefer the Stealth - but they really are both very competent. What you may be enjoying is the wider, taller soundstage with gives you better separation. Stealth’s bass sounds more natural to me, but really not by much. It’s hard to pick one over the other… Have fun pickin ‘em apart :)
Well, I have been (and always will be) the Stealth fan here since the day it was introduced and it is hard for me to change that. I still prefer the Stealth over anything else for its mids tuning, impeccable subbass and natural sound (including Susvara). Expanse was a weird experience after Stealth, firstly because one whole year I pretty much only listened via Stealth and got very used to its super sharp mids tuning. Expanse has that bump which made it more fun but the focus was slightly lost. By the way, we have two Stealths at home: One for me and one for my wife. So, I was going back and forth, was not sure if I should keep it and it was on the marketplace for some time.

Interestingly, I find Expanse to have more variance in sound with position, especially for treble. I don't know, maybe it is a how my ear cup interacts with AMTS waveguide at different positions, considering waveguides for different frequencies are spread on the AMTS module. Of course, one year old pads of Stealth might also be contributing.
With the positioning I mentioned above, they sound even more similar, though Expanse has a slightly more elevated bass tuning, and Susvara mids are slightly recessed in comparison. But what is different is Susvara is fully open and Expanse is quite isolating. I use the Susvara mostly if I need to hear my surrounding. Also Susvara came as part of a trade deal and I decided to keep a fully open HP in addition to Stealth. I will keep all three: Stealth, Susvara and Expanse, and I am not planning to buy any other HPs, as I feel fully covered.

Should you buy Susvara? I am not sure, if what you want is to complement Stealth and if Stealth is your favorite. The "lower tier" HE1000 series (especially v2) should already be excellent additions for sound and comfort. I would suggest to check them, too, if you can. If Susvara wasn't be part of a trade deal, I would probably not buy them. But HifiMan is the right direction for a well tuned fully open alternative, I think.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #1,627 of 2,599
But what is different is Susvara is fully open and Expanse is quite isolating. I use the Susvara mostly if I need to hear my surrounding. Also Susvara came as part of a trade deal and I decided to keep a fully open HP in addition to Stealth. I will keep all three: Stealth, Susvara and Expanse, and I am not planning to buy any other HPs, as I feel fully covered.
Closed nature of Stealth is really addicting in long term - in the early days I didn't like closed headphones. But now I appreciate that more and more, being able to just dive into the music and not being distracted with any noise.
I remember listening Susvara couple of years ago I liked it a lot. Lately I had opportunity to listen it again at home and compare it with Stealth.
I was surprised with the result. It turned out that I preferred Stealth quite a bit margin.
Don't get me wrong Susvara is still a very good headphone but I didn't see a point in switching or owning both.
Vocals or Stealth are extremely addicting, especially female. With Susvara I found that female vocals lacked a bit of 'fundamental' and had just a tad too much energy on top, making them too breathy/airy sounding.
Susvara was probably better with classical music than Stealth because of the open more airy nature (but at the same time HE1000v2 was doing it maybe even better...), but for everything else that I listen I liked Stealth more.
What also is addicting with Stealth is that finally highs/symbols sound like metallic thing. Have this tang instead of tshhhh sound. Dan explains it good here:
4:45 mark

Anyway I'm still on the hunt to listen Expanse, if it's as clean as natural sounding in the midrange and on top as Stealth but with better staging I might consider switching - I'm still a bit afraid of the midbass hump as it could be too much to my ears. :thinking:
Maybe I'll contact the dealer finally in this week.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #1,628 of 2,599
Closed nature of Stealth is really addicting in long term - in the early days I didn't like closed headphones. But now I appreciate that more and more, being able to just dive into the music and not being distracted with any noise.
I remember listening Susvara couple of years ago I liked it a lot. Lately I had opportunity to listen it again at home and compare it with Stealth.
I was surprised with the result. It turned out that I preferred Stealth quite a bit margin.
Don't get me wrong Susvara is still a very good headphone but I didn't see a point in switching or owning both.
Vocals or Stealth are extremely addicting, especially female. With Susvara I found that female vocals lacked a bit of 'fundamental' and had just a tad too much energy on top, making them too breathy/airy sounding.
Susvara was probably better with classical music than Stealth because of the open more airy nature (but at the same time HE1000v2 was doing it maybe even better...), but for everything else that I listen I liked Stealth more.
What also is addicting with Stealth is that finally highs/symbols sound like metallic thing. Have this tang instead of tshhhh sound. Dan explains it good here:
4:45 mark

Anyway I'm still on the hunt to listen Expanse, if it's as clean as natural sounding in the midrange and on top as Stealth but with better staging I might consider switching - I'm still a bit afraid of the midbass hump as it could be too much to my ears. :thinking:
Maybe I'll contact the dealer finally in this week.
There is always the option to reduce the midbass with EQ.

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #1,629 of 2,599
There is always the option to reduce the midbass with EQ.
Yes but I'm not using EQ with my 'expensive' gear.
I pay premium and demand that stock tuning is into my liking - I know for someone it sounds stupid but I just feel bad inside using EQ with 4k headphones, sorry that's just me.

Still I use EQ with my hifiman he400se because my 'gut' is ok with that, not so much with premium/highend stuff :wink:

ps. but who knows, people change so my EQ bias also can change

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #1,630 of 2,599
Yes but I'm not using EQ with my 'expensive' gear.
I pay premium and demand that stock tuning is into my liking - I know for someone it sounds stupid but I just feel bad inside using EQ with 4k headphones, sorry that's just me.

Still I use EQ with my hifiman he400se because my 'gut' is ok with that, not so much with premium/highend stuff :wink:
That's fine as well.

Jan 24, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #1,631 of 2,599
In the HP instructions it says the correct position of the cups are with your ear up and back.

Jan 25, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #1,632 of 2,599
So lets check what all the fuss is about :wink:
P_20230125_104543.jpg

Jan 25, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #1,633 of 2,599
So lets check what all the fuss is about :wink:
P_20230125_104543.jpg
NIce! I have both and enjoy both for different reasons. I look forward to your take on how each one turns your crank in different and similar ways.

Jan 25, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #1,634 of 2,599
In the HP instructions it says the correct position of the cups are with your ear up and back.
I know. I probably even mentioned it to others in Stealth and/or Expanse threads.Your "ear" stuck up and back. But what happens if you have a smaller ear cup with a thinner top? Maybe that is the reason for me, I don't know, but I prefer positioning them slightly differently. I cannot swap my ears for different ones, so no way to know how it would be otherwise. :beyersmile:

Jan 25, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #1,635 of 2,599

Yes, they are significant enough. Susvara is all about big, airy, crystal sparkle treble, sweet lush vocality, with deep and tight bass. Expanse is all about being much closer to linear, neutral, more plain in every tone. Expanse is consider as (a little more) pleasant and musical when compared side by side with Stealth, not with other brand, especially Susvara with the fluid and full of emotion in Vocality.

I do understand if one person that never tried most flagship, then read some impressions here, may misinform that Expanse is highly musical, engaging, over warm and smooth, etc (like when you describe Senn HD650). No, it is not. It is definitely closer to dead neutral compared to most of other Flagship out there (Abyss, Hifiman, Meze, ZMF, Focal, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back