Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Sep 25, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #781 of 2,599
Based on what I've heard so far, especially in comparison with Stealth and others I love, I am let down by the hype as well. Judging by the reviews, I expected to hear a big open soundstage and I'm not hearing that at all. If these were called Ether 3, implying that these were going to be darker/warmer/thicker headphones, then I would have been more prepared for this signature, but to call them Expanse and reviews rave about their soundstage being big, spacious, or open, that certainly seems contradictory to my listening experience.

Pros for me are definitely the bass (if you like a lot of it), the warmth, the smooth treble - but not the soundstage. That, imo, would be a weakness of these compared to other top tier headphones that I've personally heard.

I've owned every generation of Mr. Speakers/DCA headphones, open and closed, since the OG Aeon. I know DCA headphones' closed headphones tend to sound more open than their open counterparts, but I was hoping that would change with this one. IMO, this keeps following that DCA tradition. The Stealth sounded more open than the Expanse to me, from memory.

I think if you are looking for a more neutral signature that keeps everything in perfect balance, including soundstage, then I would recommend the Stealth. If you want a darker, warmer, thicker presentation that brings a bit more life-like impact to the bottom end, then consider the Expanse. That's my thinking right now.
as an owner of the susvara,abyss tc and raal sr1a I am actually shocked how good expanse is....I had the stealth and sold it but I love the expanse...

Sep 25, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #782 of 2,599
as an owner of the susvara,abyss tc and raal sr1a I am actually shocked how good expanse is....I had the stealth and sold it but I love the expanse...
Soundstage impresses you over those other cans? Or other features?

Seeing a pattern of people who didn't like Stealth much really like the Expanse...and those that really liked Stealth not being that into Expanse. I guess that's perfect for DCA, covers both the groups :)

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #783 of 2,599
Soundstage impresses you over those other cans? Or other features?

Seeing a pattern of people who didn't like Stealth much really like the Expanse...and those that really liked Stealth not being that into Expanse, lol. I guess that's perfect for DCA, cover both the groups :)
I like the soundstage of the expanse very much...it is to my ears very 3 dimensional...the susvara is wider and the abyss more spacious but I find the expanse out of my CFA3 to be really really good...I find myself reaching for it more and more

Sep 25, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #784 of 2,599
I like the soundstage of the expanse very much...it is to my ears very 3 dimensional...the susvara is wider and the abyss more spacious but I find the expanse out of my CFA3 to be really really good...I find myself reaching for it more and more
OK, I would agree with the Susvara and Abyss being wider/more spacious. I get that the Expanse is focused more on instruments and their physical presence and not pinpoint imaging and stage. At least, that's what I heard Dan allude to in his interviews. So compared to these other TOTL planars, the soundstage isn't what I'd list as their competitive strength over them. Susvara and Abyss throw out a more "expansive" soundstage than the Expanse. Expanse is big in that you feel the weight of the music and instruments, but it's not big in the sense that music is playing all around you. I also understand how this could be a more natural stage/tuning for some, so it's something you can end up getting used to and preferring.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #785 of 2,599
OK, I would agree with the Susvara and Abyss being wider/more spacious. I get that the Expanse is focused more on instruments and their physical presence and not pinpoint imaging and stage. At least, that's what I heard Dan allude to in his interviews. So compared to these other TOTL planars, the soundstage isn't what I'd list as their competitive strength over them. Susvara and Abyss throw out a more "expansive" soundstage than the Expanse. Expanse is big in that you feel the weight of the music and instruments, but it's not big in the sense that music is playing all around you. I also understand how this could be a more natural stage/tuning for some, so it's something you can end up getting used to and preferring.
depends alot of the chain you put before the expanse...it is tough to drive and needs power...I actually think the imagining is outstanding

Sep 25, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #786 of 2,599
I'm making the logical and charitable assumption that in the face of the differences, the audiophile user evaluation is likely the more objective and uncolored by other (business) considerations. "If the Expanse can offer the same information without causing ear pain..." is the very question being investigated, whether this is successfully done by the Expanse without too many negative tradeoffs. Concerning the claim the treble is lacking in energy, you just need to look at the response plot to see a deep and sharp dip in response of about 13 dB centered at about 10 kHz, right in the treble range.
It’s not an unfair conclusion. But it dismisses others who say they love the treble on the Expanse. At the end of the day, quantity of treble is a subjective preference. Some people will love it, some will hate it, and most will be somewhere in between. That’s all I’m saying. So I just wouldn’t call the treble “flawed”. But it definitely might not be to everyone’s liking. After all, the Harman Curve only represents what 80% of people prefer. So there’s going to be at least 20% who are outliers for that type of tuning reference.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #787 of 2,599
depends alot of the chain you put before the expanse...it is tough to drive and needs power...I actually think the imagining is outstanding
Don't make me bring 801 in here so he can tell us how all we need is a diablo on low gain!

Sep 25, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #788 of 2,599
I was hoping Expanse could replace my Stealth or LCD-5. But Expanse it not like either one except their mid range focus. For now I will keep all three. I love focusing on the mids vs. a wide sound stage. These three HPs do that well.

Someone else said it but Stealth really is an open sounding closed back and Expanse is a more closed sounding open back. I find myself reaching for Stealth when I do not want to bother others around me and want to block out noise around me. I am reaching for LCD-5 when my environment is silent and no one is in the room or when I need to hear when my child is waking up (the LCD-5 does not block out any noise). I am reaching for Expanse when there is some noise around me I want to block out. The Expanse does make the sounds in my environment muffled and does not bleed as much sound as other open backs I have owned.

LCD-5 is in your face and exact and detailed and super mids focused. I can see why some love it and others do not. Stealth is leaner than Expanse and more subbass focused vs. the midbass focus of the Expanse. The Stealth provides such an intimate mid range focus. The Expanse is warmer and still mid range focused but with a bit more of an open stage vs. Stealth. Expanse is very intimate though for an open back HP. Not a wide stage in my opinion.

Sep 25, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #789 of 2,599
I would not change anything in the heights
I have reduce only here (-2db at 250/-1 db at 125 on Fiio M17)
And then you have brightness enough...soundstage..seperation....All that was covered by this overdone body
Then sounds as an open back Hp should sound....much better to my ears 👍(Must not be so for everyone)
Too much body meets too little brightness...that can't work...but its only my opinion
Therefore I have reduced

19B5A6E4-CA1B-4312-86CF-E691940FC3F4.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.lol
OK, this EQ is really helping...this is more like it! There's more light in the room and I get a nice clear stage that is connected. The dead space I was hearing in the front is gone, there is more front to back depth. Just had to reduce the midbass to make more room for the treble and atmospheric details that were already in the treble. Mid bass sounds more in line with what I prefer, less overpowering in mixes. :raised_hands:

Sep 25, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #790 of 2,599
Here's something else I've noticed...when I listen to open-back headphones, I will occasionally hear something that I think came from outside my room or way behind me that will make me take my headphones off and look around to make sure it wasn't. That's what I mean by open soundstage, where it feels like the music is coming from the room you're in and not what you're wearing around your head. That hasn't happened to me a single time with the Expanse yet. I'm always very aware that everything is playing out between the headphones right around my head. Even with the most spacious of albums I'm familiar with, like big binaural albums like Yosi Horikawa or some Chesky recordings.

Beach House - Auburn and Ivory

If you don't hear the sound of something like a bolt dropping on glass in your room behind you at 0:33, I give up.
First time I heard this song, I got up and walked around my room for a couple minutes to find what fell and broke lol.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #791 of 2,599
Don't make me bring 801 in here so he can tell us how all we need is a diablo on low gain!
please dont, have mercy

Sep 25, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #792 of 2,599
OK, this EQ is really helping...this is more like it! There's more light in the room and I get a nice clear stage that is connected. The dead space I was hearing in the front is gone, there is more front to back depth. Just had to reduce the midbass to make more room for the treble and atmospheric details that were already in the treble. Mid bass sounds more in line with what I prefer, less overpowering in mixes. :raised_hands:
My words 😉

NOMAX

PS.the Expanse has not to less in the highs...it has to much in the lows
The balance in my opinion was disturbed by this too much

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #793 of 2,599
My words 😉

NOMAX

PS.the Expanse has not to less in the highs...it has to much in the lows
The balance in my opinion was disturbed by this too much
I added about 1db of bass back in and made the EQ just one band (190hz, -2db, Q of 0.8). It brings a bit of that physicality back in and still keeps enough of the stage around me clear.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #794 of 2,599
@ra990

Understanding to less in the low end bring you much more to reveal what is on the recording

NOMAX

PS.In the end, everyone has to decide for himself what he expects from a tonal performance 👍

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #795 of 2,599
So I'm about half way through King Crimson's Larks Tongues in Aspic (Steven Wilson Remaster) and this is quite stunning. The drum and bass rhythm have never sounded this tight and thunderous. The bells in the music have never sounded more physical and real. Fripp's guitar is floating around me like snow in a snow globe and the intense violins, percussion clashes, and screeches that usually make me reach for the volume level are blaring at full volume without any harshness.

I needed this 2db drop in midbass to get to this nirvana. However, glad to finally be here!

EDIT: Just finished and was going to bed, but this is too much fun...on to Red!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back