Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Sep 22, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #601 of 2,594
Considering purchasing a Amp/DAC for the Expanse, I typically enjoy a warmer sound. For those who have the Expanse so far, are you able to recommend a good pairing for it?

Sep 22, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #602 of 2,594
I have a set of these on their way to me for a home trial. Really excited to receive them, I haven't felt this way for a while about headphones, not sure what it is but there is something so desirable about the Expanse to me!

I have an IFI Diablo, I hope it is able to do the headphone justice. I am open to looking to going up the chain in terms of DAC/Amp again, but I cant help but wonder if it would be worth it as the Diablo is pretty great for what it does.
iFi Diablo is an AMAZING amp. Even my desktop chain doesn´t have the kicks and punch it has. Its enjoyement and fun. My AryaV2 runs perfectly in ECO/SE. Susvara(3.5mm) no problem Turbo/4.4(12 o´clock - 3 o´clock)

If you think about upgrade then I would advice not going for something you "think" is better, but different. You would have to pay a lot getting something that is better. Even though I prefere my desktop chain, its not better, because iFi Diablo still wins in movies and games, and this is why it is enjoyement and exciting to listen to for music. For long listening session I prefere my desktop chain, because it is more musical and has a wider soundstage.

If I lost my Diablo I would buy it again without a doubt!...I also have RME ADi-2 DAC FS, this I am going to sell, it´s just boring.

Do you use the iPurifier3 and stock charger?
- With iPower X charger I felt a more delightful sound signature
- With iFi Elite It was more full in the sound, deeper bass, a little grainy

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #603 of 2,594
Considering purchasing a Amp/DAC for the Expanse, I typically enjoy a warmer sound. For those who have the Expanse so far, are you able to recommend a good pairing for it?
Amp/DAC as a one unit box?

Which budget are you aiming for?

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #605 of 2,594
Expanse and Stealth react very well to EQ. Because of that I would recommend something like RME ADI-2 with excellent PEQ. There is also a new one coming out soon with a balanced output and more power. It works very well with both HPs and you can dial in any sound you like.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #606 of 2,594
What I can say with certainty is that the Stealth is far ahead of the Expanse in terms of spatial representation and separation between the melody and the voice, as well as in instrumental recordings

NOMAX

PS.I will comment on the tonal performance of the Expanse later

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #607 of 2,594
Amp/DAC as a one unit box?

Which budget are you aiming for?

ATM I have an IFI DIablo (my Expanse will arrive in a few days) and the comments above suggest that may actually be a fun pairing, and I also have a Bluesound N130 as my DAC/Streamer.

I prefer one-box solutions, or at least to keep the same vendor. I had a Chord TT2 a while back which was nice, an XI Audio stack which I sold recently, so I guess something around that sort of price mark. I looked at the Benchmark HP4 but have doubts it is warm enough for my taste. The Nimbus US Pro 5 is appealing also.

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #608 of 2,594
ATM I have an IFI DIablo (my Expanse will arrive in a few days) and the comments above suggest that may actually be a fun pairing, and I also have a Bluesound N130 as my DAC/Streamer.

I prefer one-box solutions, or at least to keep the same vendor. I had a Chord TT2 a while back which was nice, an XI Audio stack which I sold recently, so I guess something around that sort of price mark. I looked at the Benchmark HP4 but have doubts it is warm enough for my taste. The Nimbus US Pro 5 is appealing also.
Change that streamer with the iFi, every recommendation I see favors the iFi. Im gonna buy it too :) amazing combo those two Diablo/Streamer. You could also go SPDIF/COAX from the iFi Streamer into Diablo.

(I had the ifi streamer for test....I did not buy it at the moment because of concideration of placement of my NAS in my chain)

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #609 of 2,594
What I can say with certainty is that the Stealth is far ahead of the Expanse in terms of spatial representation and separation between the melody and the voice, as well as in instrumental recordings

NOMAX

PS.I will comment on the tonal performance of the Expanse later
This is the result of going for a warmer / low-mids increased and bassier sound. It just eats away from the mids separation and clarity, but apparently many prefer the warmth and bass over the perfect mids performance of Stealth. Which is why Stealth is not replaceable for me.

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #610 of 2,594

I recommend testing your current setup first.

As one box solutions there is the T+A Ha200.
Several Oversampling filters, EQ even a Loudness function.

Or the Already recommended RME ADI2

Afaik the Questyle CMA15 is also a competent one Box solution.

Personally I love tubes to add warmth, my Octave V16 does a great job paired with the Expanse.
The Bezier/IIR Filter in the T+A has also a nice analogue signature. (I don't have the same DAC but it uses the same Filters)

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #611 of 2,594
This is the result of going for a warmer / low-mids increased and bassier sound. It just eats away from the mids separation and clarity, but apparently many prefer the warmth and bass over the perfect mids performance of Stealth. Which is why Stealth is not replaceable for me.
I really dig that warmer bassier sound. Guess it was worth it for me to sit out the Stealth

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #612 of 2,594
Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #614 of 2,594
Some first impressions @ about 50 hrs.

For those that don't know, I am mostly electronic (breakbeat, jungle, d&b, old school hip hop, pop)

Build:
-Feel very nice.
-Very comfortable. No clamp pressure or hotspots at the top, irritations, etc.
-Build is excellent, from packaging to design.
-Materials feel super premium, cups and pad material are nice to the touch.
-Love the gimbal system. Manufacturers take note.
-Not a fan of blue and wish it was red but whatever. -99 points lol-
-Cable connectors are as cool as the gimbal system. Why these aren't standardized is beyond my minuscule brain size.
-Cable is good length, but I needed the longer one. Nice feeling. Good color but on the thicker side but adds to feel of durability.

Sound:
Without EQ: (Doing you all a favor and separating since many do not and adds to circle of confusion)
-Tuning is well done here. Slightly mid forward but bass helps even the balance.
-Bass is well done and has ample amount for stock listening.
-Very detailed.
-Soundstage is good. (I am not the best judge of this and don't index for it.)

With EQ:
-Bass can thump when needed. Vibrations from pads is pleasant. Not fatiguing, textured. Added shelf of 2.7db
-Better balance for me came from lowered 3k peak and boosted 8k as graphs indicate rise and dip there.

Preliminary thoughts: No eq, this is really good! With EQ it's better!
What's you fav HP for D&B, Breakbeat, Jungle? Not the DCA, right?

Sep 22, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #615 of 2,594
We’ll I made up my mind on the Expanse. I put my Focal Utopia and Danacable up for sale the other day. The Expanse is staying. And as I’m burning it, the sound is opening up more. I’m hearing more detail and separation than I’ve heard before. And I’ll say it again, these are so amazing especially at low volume. The balance stays the same and you can clearly hears and feel the bass and the highs and mids come thru. At normal listening levels they are just as great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back