Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Sep 20, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #541 of 2,594
I actually finding the bass has good punch and impact on my system. Don’t find it lacking compared to the Utopia. At first tue Utopia comes out seeming like it has better bass because the balance is not as even as the Expanse. So on the Expanse I got the some punch but can hear the vocals and mids much clearer. But on some setups, the punch and impact were definitely missing. Only hear it but not feel it. Out of that Woo amp, it has some of the best bass I heard.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #542 of 2,594
Interesting comment on the Hugo2, when I was using that for dac until it quit working, then went to a ladder dac DENAFRIPS the sound was substantially more "organic" sounding and natural etc. So in spite of some bad-mouthing the GSX Mini, I thought it would be a real synergistic match for the Expanse. It would do OK for some time before I could acquire a Wells Audio amp or similar I reckon.

Sep 20, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #543 of 2,594
Interesting comment on the Hugo2, when I was using that for dac until it quit working, then went to a ladder dac DENAFRIPS the sound was substantially more "organic" sounding and natural etc. So in spite of some bad-mouthing the GSX Mini, I thought it would be a real synergistic match for the Expanse. It would do OK for some time before I could acquire a Wells Audio amp or similar I reckon.
Funny, it I accidentally posted that. It was my thoughts on what clinical sounded like but decided not to post. But then showed up when posted about punch.

But essentially my thought was the Expanse will take on the character of what you feed. I find the Hugo 2 clinical so guess that’s how the Expanse will sound. The Naim He is fun with very good resolution, so that’s how I hear them. I didn’t notice any better resolution out of the Lina dac. Amps had more of impact on the sound.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #544 of 2,594
I think you'll be happy with the Ares II, GS-X Mini, and Expanse. It's not going to sound sterile at all with that DAC, and the Mini has a bit of warmth to it. I was listening to my setup last night with Yggdrasil OG, GS-X Mini, and Expanse. Powerful & clean, yet musical are the feelings I got from it.

Also, I want to mention that this is the first time I've listened to a headphone where I felt like I was listening to an actual instrument and vocals vs a speaker reproducing instruments and vocals. It's got a lot to do with the decay and reverb of the individual sounds, and being able to precisely locate them. Dan Clark did an amazing job with these, the realism is incredible. I'll likely try them on the WA5-LE and Leeloo tonight to see how tubes affect their sound. Still breaking in Expanse also... and having a hell of a lot of fun.

Sep 20, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #545 of 2,594
I think you'll be happy with the Ares II, GS-X Mini, and Expanse. It's not going to sound sterile at all with that DAC, and the Mini has a bit of warmth to it. I was listening to my setup last night with Yggdrasil OG, GS-X Mini, and Expanse. Powerful & clean, yet musical are the feelings I got from it.

Also, I want to mention that this is the first time I've listened to a headphone where I felt like I was listening to an actual instrument and vocals vs a speaker reproducing instruments and vocals. It's got a lot to do with the decay and reverb of the individual sounds, and being able to precisely locate them. Dan Clark did an amazing job with these, the realism is incredible. I'll likely try them on the WA5-LE and Leeloo tonight to see how tubes affect their sound. Still breaking in Expanse also... and having a hell of a lot of fun.
Heck yeah! Thanks very much! First time reading that the Expanse sounds like an actual instrument, rather than a reproduction of same. Incredibly good recommendation right there. Re: the musicality as well. Sold on this one I think! Would love to hear the Yggdrasil LIM with the GSX Mini and Expanse. Prolly lots of lost sleep with that chain I imagine. Although I am really happy with the Ares II, very impressive dac for the price point. I needed something sort of affordable for the blown out Hugo2, at the time this seemed like best choice, think it was.

Sep 20, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #546 of 2,594
Let's change the mood a bit. What I am listening to with Expanse (+Topping G5) at the moment. That prominent Kai Eckhardt bass sounds good actually! :wink: But I still feel like to EQ out the 175 Hz centered bump...

Ooh Aziza is soo nice. I love the title song of this album. Dance of fire. Not just Aziza but I really like how Al di meola and Stanley does it. remarkable. Nothing to say against Aziza she beats the metronome...

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #547 of 2,594
Ooh Aziza is soo nice. I love the title song of this album. Dance of fire. Not just Aziza but I really like how Al di meola and Stanley does it. remarkable. Nothing to say against Aziza she beats the metronome...
It is a legendary album, for sure. I also love the title piece. And I also love the Always album. The energy in that album gives me goose bumps. Unfortunately her last albums do not really reflect what she can do but... I had the chance to see her live after she made the last two solo albums, once solo and once as a trio of bass and drums. Both her playing and singing were mind-blowing, one of those "what have I just seen" moments.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #550 of 2,594
@jlbrach can you compare the Expanse to the Raal CA-1A?

I was eyeing both, but Stars aligned for an Expanse
I am a huge fan of both...if I had to choose one I would probably choose the expanse given the ability to use it with any amp ..the CA-1A requires either the converter box or a direct drive amp...to be honest I am shocked how much I am enjoying the expanse but do not get me wrong I love the Raal HP's

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #551 of 2,594
6A586D87-4F6A-4F2A-BF4F-D0D51AC59F57.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.lol

Sep 21, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #554 of 2,594
Any comparisons between the Expanse and a coffee can on a string?
There's a metallic timbre to the coffee can that makes classical really difficult to enjoy.

Sep 21, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #555 of 2,594
Any comparisons between the Expanse and a coffee can on a string?
Coffee can has more treble impact on the ears when thrown from the top of a building. Sadly, Expanse badly fails on that front. I hope it will be considered as a valid scenario with the next iteration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back