Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Sep 12, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #34 of 2,599
Personally I'm not a fan of reviews coming out right at the launch. (Not just for DCA, for any manufacturer)

It is basically impossible for those reviews to be unbiased, as the reviews were orchestrated by the manufacturer.

The product should be released first, and people should review them independently without any bias or pressure.
My biggest worry is someone buying something after watching my review and being disappointed. Granted, there will be some variation in music preferences, frequency response between individual sets, and the odd person whose ears just don't match what most other people here to an unusual degree, so I can only report my specific experiences, and try and explain them with some accomodation for what I know different people like or don't like. It's nice being first, but it's better if I can see owner impressions before reviewing something to see if there is anything I missed that might make the review more useful for more people.
Currawong stated that its basically the same STEALTH CLOSED sound
I basically did not. :) You should know by now that I cannot do anything "basically". :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
The Stealth has a ton of bass.
Someone else already addressed this, but most bass in music is mid-bass, not low bass, so the graphs are deceptive in this way if you're looking to have them show you what you will actually hear.
I find discussions of bass frustrating to some degree because people fail to specify whether they are talking about bass level (ie volume) vs bass impact (ie punch and slam). The former can be easily adjusted with EQ, whereas the latter can’t. For me, that punchiness/slam is the thing I look for the most in headphones and is lacking in most planars.

If anyone has heard the Expanse and can comment on its slaminess, to coin a phrase, I’d be grateful.
I hesitate to use the word "slam" because it seems to be defined differently by different people -- sometimes referring to the amount of mid-bass, sometimes the quality of the bass from a pair of headphones, and at this level, one's impression of it will vary depending on what gear one uses. For example, the MScaler/TT2 rig is distinctly clearer-sounding than the Hugo 2, but that might give some people the impression that there is less slam, because it is less congested.

I find the Expanse to be spot-on for me, at least out of the TT2/MS (and Studio Six), sitting perfectly between having "slam" and keeping that "expansive" soundstage. I'll do some comparison videos soon, and my written review will have some music impressions and headphone comparisons too.
Curious about the elastic bands they're using. I had the AKG K712s, and the elastics were a bit too loose on those. Additionally, I find elastic bands to be a bit of a time bomb - failure is all but guaranteed after a certain period of time. Might be a decade or two, might even be longer, but they'll fail.
I remember asking Dan about this when I was talking with him about the Stealth, and he replied that he was using quality elastic. (Edit: Beaten to it with a better answer, while I was writing this one!)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #35 of 2,599
These and the new ZMF Calderas have my interest piqued, and my wallet closed for the meantime until we get some better comparisons between these two monsters and any of their older models. Unfortunately I think my trypophobia will keep me from ever owning the Expanse...the holes on this grill design might even be worse than the Clear Mg. Nothing against the headphones, but I just can't tolerate it unfortunately :triportsad:

Sep 12, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #36 of 2,599
I find discussions of bass frustrating to some degree because people fail to specify whether they are talking about bass level (ie volume) vs bass impact (ie punch and slam). The former can be easily adjusted with EQ, whereas the latter can’t. For me, that punchiness/slam is the thing I look for the most in headphones and is lacking in most planars.

If anyone has heard the Expanse and can comment on its slaminess, to coin a phrase, I’d be grateful.

100% agree. There is big different of bass level/amount or bass impact. For me the impact and punch and slam is much more important. One reason that the Focal Stellia is my favourite headphone. As you said its not possible to EQ. I think thats the biggest downside of all DCA, that the there isn't (a lot of) bass impact. Thats the reason that I really like dynamic headphones like the Focals.

The Stealth i bought New, had a lite bass attack.
Anti-slam.

Textually, and with regard to resolution, the Stealth's Bass was very accurate.

Where am i on the "bass head chart"?

Well, right now im listening to Focal Stella's, and i dont find their low end to have as much bass as the Meze Liric, which has too much.
Im not a bass head. Im closer to a "need it neutral" head, but too little bass and i sell them .
Too much Treble, and i sell them..

The best headphone(s) ive heard in a while is the recent Raal CA-1a, which is another world of sound altogether. ( i wrote a review)

The STELLIA's, ...well, i read they are V shaped, and have too much bass, as compared to the Utopia.
I dont hear that. I hear a well defined bass that gives you an honest representation. Its full, it can slam, but its not "bass heavy", to my ears.
If there is a "V" shape, being represented, then tis a very mild one indeed.
I also dont hear a relaxed treble, in the Stellia. I hear a very good high end.
The Stellia's sound very very good, with incredible clarity, very nice bass, and good comfort.

"Focal" has a sound.. Its something to do with the upper mids or lower treble that produces this extreme clarity.
The Stellia's dont attack you with it, but they do have it across the board.

I agree that the Stellias can really slam and for me (I really like more bass in quantity) they have a god amount of bass. More than neutral.

I compared the Stellias with the Meze Liric, Focal Radiance, Elegia, DCA Noire, but the Stellia are for me the only one with a deep bass impact and rumble. Not so much amount of bass, but its no problem to eq. Radiance have the most bass quantity (midbass) and I think then the Liric. The Noire sounded really flat in the bass department to me and compressed and more like an open back without bass impact. But there are open backs like the Focal clear which much better bass impact im comparision to the Noire.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #37 of 2,599
Are they more efficient than the Stealth?
No. According to the ASR review, the Expanse are roughly 20% less efficient than the Stealth (665mV vs 549mV to achieve 94 dBSPL).

Sep 12, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #38 of 2,599
Dan Clark Audio has produced some of may favorite headphones. Mr. Clark & the customer support at Dan Clark Audio are beyond reproach. I hope the graciousness and kindness exhibited to me return success to the company and it's employees. Best wishes with the new release, I'm excited to hear the Expanse.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #39 of 2,599
I'd be interested to hear how this compares subjectively to the HD800S as far as soundstage goes.
If it's in any way comparable without sacrificing the bass impact. I might have to look into it further.

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #40 of 2,599
Personally I'm not a fan of reviews coming out right at the launch. (Not just for DCA, for any manufacturer)

It is basically impossible for those reviews to be unbiased, as the reviews were orchestrated by the manufacturer.

The product should be released first, then people should review them independently without any bias or pressure.
I am tempted as it looks so much better than the Stealth but fully agree with your statement. Having these orchestrated reviews is off putting.

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #41 of 2,599
Decided to update here, as the first consumer to receive these and will keep it going as i am live updateing comparisons to DCA Stealth closed flagship.

Very first impressions:

Weight- Expanse and Stealth very similar. The slightly slimmer ear cups on Expanse requires DCA to include a foam insert to go OVER the cups between the gimbles when folded to fill out space.

Comfort- Pretty much exactly the same between the two. Pads are the same, soft supple and super comfy, no extra change from dissimilar cup depths.

Bleed In/Out- THIS is the main factor other than audio impressions that i am interested in.
IN-i am STARTLED at how attenuated bleed in is still. This is certainly NO HD800. I am figuring that the AMTS and mesh is creating a distinctive barrier for external noise in, but we are talking maybe 40-50% more sound in (I can barely hear my typing while music is playing ATM through Expanse, where i cannot hear it at all in Stealth. I had read about the Stealth being the most "Open sounding Closed" cans, and the Expanse being the most "Closed sounding Open" cans... i have to agree, and in a good way.
OUT- big difference here, a lot more music escaping to the outside from Expanse than Stealth, 200% increase seemingly here, especially in mid/trebles. For office use the Stealth wins big here, not obnoxious on Expanse but def not same retention of sound.

Initial sound impressions- SS is definitely larger, separation a bit more developed, "airiness' that the best open cans boast definitely added here, especially with acoustic instruments and voices. Never Going back by Fleetwood Mac is an absolute dream. Swapping back and forth i am just grinning because the Stealth is just such a treat here too! Definitely two peas in a pod here and not rivals or opposites, as the bass and mid energy retained in the closed can of the Stealth "bring hte heat" to the song that the Expanse airs out and lets it fill the 2-3' further out. This may need to be volume adjusted to be fairly represented.
I'm not going to comment on bass till these bad boys burn in.

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #43 of 2,599
I'd be interested to hear how this compares subjectively to the HD800S as far as soundstage goes.
If it's in any way comparable without sacrificing the bass impact. I might have to look into it further.
Initial comparisons, less thin throughout spectrum (more weight/gravity to voices/instruments) and even without burn in loads more bass that HD800S, without even a touch of sibilance.

EDIT to address soundstage. While it is large, it is certainly not as wide as HD800S, however it does not suffer the “stretched thin” attribute I correlate with achieving this width.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #44 of 2,599
Decided to update here, as the first consumer to receive these and will keep it going as i am live updateing comparisons to DCA Stealth closed flagship.

Initial sound impressions- SS is definitely larger, separation a bit more developed, "airiness' that the best open cans boast definitely added here, especially with acoustic instruments and voices. Never Going back by Fleetwood Mac is an absolute dream. Swapping back and forth i am just grinning because the Stealth is just such a treat here too! Definitely two peas in a pod here and not rivals or opposites, as the bass and mid energy retained in the closed can of the Stealth "bring hte heat" to the song that the Expanse airs out and lets it fill the 2-3' further out. This may need to be volume adjusted to be fairly represented.
I'm not going to comment on bass till these bad boys burn in.
Wow, you picked it up in person or something? That was quick! Glad you enjoy them!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 12, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #45 of 2,599
I think that it is important to separate the topic of sub-bass (20hz-80hz) from the topic of mid-bass (80hz-200hz). The Stealths have a healthy serving of sub-bass rumble but I think most people who say that they "lack bass" are looking for more mid-bass impact. Perspective also matters. If they're coming from a vigorous dynamic headphone that has a boost in the mid-bass (such as the Stellias or Z1Rs or Verite Closed) the Stealths will sound quite light in the mid-bass.
I am letting them burn in ATM, but if you check the measurements on ASR you will see that they boosted specifically 100-250hz for these and the rumble is still there.

Interestingly I think that these may be even harder to drive than stealths, feels like 1.5-2.5 dB gain needed to match energy at the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back