Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Nov 30, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #1,486 of 2,599
Had compared 3 of them (Elite, Atrium, Expanse) for days, with multiple different set up (include topping d90le, singxer sa1, dcs bartok, chord tt2, mola tambaqui, burson grand tourer, cayin ha300 mk2, and enleum 23R) I would disagree that Elite couldn't scale well. Of course you may stick with your opinion, nothing wrong with that in this subjective hobby.
You had compared them on a signal to noise ratio chain loss that what in the bleep.

Tell me exactly what 801evan is using specifically so I may avoid it entirely. 🤣

Nov 30, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #1,487 of 2,599
Which Norne cable did you use on your Expanse, if you don't mind me asking? I just got my Expanse running on a new Conductor 3X GT and after just an evening of running it, it all sounds a bit thin to me this morning still. My previous chain was a Bifrost 2/64 to Jotunheim 2 so I was expecting a good bump up in overall quality, but none of my Norne cables are terminated to the DCA connectors so I'm stuck with the stock cable on it also. I will soon need to decide if I want to keep this combo or maybe get an Elite to try. The Conductor is probably a bit overkill on the Elite for power, but I should be able to at least compare the Elite on the same DAC/Amp.
I’m using vikingweave 8 lead Fehu. I recommend full copper for expanse, sit needs no additional clarity, but benefits from warmth imo.

Nov 30, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #1,488 of 2,599
Why you think elite is great for noisy chain, while in fact it's one of the closest competitor of DCA Stealth in term of distortion measurement? (CMIIW of course).
Looks like old pink box is back probably talking about noise or distortion in chain again. Shocker.

Nov 30, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #1,489 of 2,599
Looks like old pink box is back probably talking about noise or distortion in chain again. Shocker.
Yeah it's sad, that he has so much noise in his chain that he can't hear the Elite scale

Nov 30, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #1,491 of 2,599
Which Norne cable did you use on your Expanse, if you don't mind me asking? I just got my Expanse running on a new Conductor 3X GT and after just an evening of running it, it all sounds a bit thin to me this morning still. My previous chain was a Bifrost 2/64 to Jotunheim 2 so I was expecting a good bump up in overall quality, but none of my Norne cables are terminated to the DCA connectors so I'm stuck with the stock cable on it also. I will soon need to decide if I want to keep this combo or maybe get an Elite to try. The Conductor is probably a bit overkill on the Elite for power, but I should be able to at least compare the Elite on the same DAC/Amp.

Inexpensive headphone cable adapters

tedallen0220@gmail.com
Made to order, about $75. 22.5AWG OCC copper Litz. I'm using these.

https://audiosensibility.com/blog/p...-Silver-Headphone-Cable-Converter/p/287386310
24AWG stranded OCC silver $119 Will be trying out.

Nov 30, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #1,492 of 2,599
You don't experience mid freq dip with the Enleum?
If you are talking about that recent video review, no, I don’t experience anything like that lol. I think that reviewer has some specific tastes as this is literally the only time anyone has said this in the web. He is not even saying it has scooped mids, just some ephemeral “flat” mids whatever that means.

As I told him though, I have a V1 without any of guys other Enleum issues either, also Expanse is a very mid-centric headphone so it may just be a perfect pairing.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #1,493 of 2,599
Hey to be fair LAchlans (passionforsound) liked warm/warmer sounding headphone and he admitted it as such, and the Elites are the best warm sounding high end headphones imho, hence his obvious love for the elites, nothing wrong with that. I personally liked the susvara/hd800s tuning, but this hobby is very subjective. Please admit we do change our taste/opinions quite often in this hobby, hence the crazy gear flipping we do!! But thats part of the fun!:gs1000smile:

Sometimes we get too defensive on the gears we purchased....

And on the dirty chain thingy for the expanse, i was thinking maybe the expanse needed those. Since reviewers like DMS and headfonics liked them on tubes only and not on ultra clean gears like the Lina or toppings.

PS. i have not listen to the stealth and expanse, but very interested to getting one to listen soon. I absolutely loved the Caldera though with suede pads

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #1,496 of 2,599
What is your recommended chain for the Expanse? Apology if i missed it from the forum...
The only chain I think that makes sense for it in the ones I've tried and makes me understand why people like it is the m17 on battery power and just the right gain where you listen at max level. The blacks are lifted enough that the midbass doesn't sound mumbly and over emphasized. If I move towards a better chain in various directions, the midbass bleeds and the vocals gets mumbly and mids sounds nasal.

Stealth ftw.

Nov 30, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #1,497 of 2,599
The only chain I think that makes sense for it in the ones I've tried and makes me understand why people like it is the m17 on battery power and just the right gain where you listen at max level. The blacks are lifted enough that the midbass doesn't sound mumbly and over emphasized. If I move towards a better chain in various directions, the midbass bleeds and the vocals gets mumbly and mids sounds nasal.

Stealth ftw.
When we listen to max level.....wont it remove dynamic headroom? Like some tracks are mastered louder than others while some are softer with high dynamic range....Wondering If going max will be detrimental to this? Since you cant go louder anymore?

Nov 30, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #1,498 of 2,599
When we listen to max level.....wont it remove dynamic headroom? Like some tracks are mastered louder than others while some are softer with high dynamic range....Wondering If going max will be detrimental to this? Since you cant go louder anymore?
Doesn't work that way. In a proper chain, one always use the lowest gain possible and able to drive the HP properly loud at that setting. You will see many people are upset at me and they use mid and high gain on the ahb2 to power susvara. 😳😳😂 Meanwhile I can drive the sus properly with a <400ma amp. That's also why you can see the incongruence of someone saying the tt2 can't drive the DCA but many people find the mojo and Hugo 2 very capable of driving the DCA.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #1,499 of 2,599

I also think Burson GT (amp only) is a bit thin for Expanse. I really like the Tube pairing, or something warmer Solid state such as Bakoon/Enleum.

So what was your favorite? I haven’t had a chance to hear any of the ZMF products yet. Certainly are nice to look at.

So far Elite is still my favourite. Sold Atrium already (but still own Verite). I returned the Expanse, as I thought Caldera would suit me better (in term of character).

Expanse has really nice technical capabilities (especially in micro detail and pin point imaging accuracy that able to match best of the best other Planar out there), but I think for some of my songs could become too revealing.

You had compared them on a signal to noise ratio chain loss that what in the bleep.

Tell me exactly what 801evan is using specifically so I may avoid it entirely. 🤣

:deadhorse:

Dec 1, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #1,500 of 2,599
If you are talking about that recent video review, no, I don’t experience anything like that lol. I think that reviewer has some specific tastes as this is literally the only time anyone has said this in the web. He is not even saying it has scooped mids, just some ephemeral “flat” mids whatever that means.

As I told him though, I have a V1 without any of guys other Enleum issues either, also Expanse is a very mid-centric headphone so it may just be a perfect pairing.
Aight thanks for sharing. And what are your thoughts re Expanse direct out TT2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back