Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Apr 1, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #2,596 of 2,599
…so that’s why we call it Expanse! 😎
I agree with that too. The soundstage presentation is so realistic. It starts closer to you but extends way further. When the recording calls for it, you can hear things really far.

Compare that to he1000se for example, the soundstage is epically large, but feels exaggerated, especially for a trained ear. That’s nice (and addictive) for epic music, but it’s not real or accurate.

I feel a lot of people are used to distortion and exaggerated presentations that when they hear extremely low distortion with realistic presentation, it does not sound as magical. And IMO it shouldn’t.

The expanse soundstage is so cohesive and beautiful, beyond any other headphone I ever tried. So is the Stealth and the E3. It’s incredible (and an engineering feat) that closed backs sound this large.

@mrspeakers - Thanks for these great headphones!

Apr 2, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #2,597 of 2,599
I agree with that too. The soundstage presentation is so realistic. It starts closer to you but extends way further. When the recording calls for it, you can hear things really far.

Compare that to he1000se for example, the soundstage is epically large, but feels exaggerated, especially for a trained ear. That’s nice (and addictive) for epic music, but it’s not real or accurate.

I feel a lot of people are used to distortion and exaggerated presentations that when they hear extremely low distortion with realistic presentation, it does not sound as magical. And IMO it shouldn’t.

The expanse soundstage is so cohesive and beautiful, beyond any other headphone I ever tried. So is the Stealth and the E3. It’s incredible (and an engineering feat) that closed backs sound this large.

@mrspeakers - Thanks for these great headphones!
Extremely well articulated. I could not agree more.

Apr 11, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #2,598 of 2,599
Over two weeks ago I received the wooaudio mini tube, a small but powerful tube dongle with excellent sound,
I was surprised when I connected it to the Expanse, it gave a really good result, however I was a little worried, it was a little hard for me to believe that a small dongle would drive the Expanse properly.
Now after many hours I confirm that it works great with Expanse, drives it easily and gracefully with tube sound,
It's great fun to the ears and it's great fun for the mobility it allows.

Apr 18, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #2,599 of 2,599
Over two weeks ago I received the wooaudio mini tube, a small but powerful tube dongle with excellent sound,
I was surprised when I connected it to the Expanse, it gave a really good result, however I was a little worried, it was a little hard for me to believe that a small dongle would drive the Expanse properly.
Now after many hours I confirm that it works great with Expanse, drives it easily and gracefully with tube sound,
It's great fun to the ears and it's great fun for the mobility it allows.
I'll be sure to give it a listen next time I see Jack!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back