Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Apr 5, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #1,712 of 1,891
Out of curiosity, is there any relatively affordable DAC dongle with sufficient power to comfortably and effectively drive these headphones from a mobile phone? Perhaps it’s impossible due to the inherent power limitations of mobile OTG outputs…

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #1,713 of 1,891
I’ve been using an RU7 out of my iPad while on holiday and was pretty happy with it.

Apr 5, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #1,716 of 1,891
Are the cups of the E3 deeper than Stealth? My biggest issue with the Stealth was that my ears was touching the inside of the cup.

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #1,718 of 1,891
I don’t totally get these headphones. They are closed-back and equipped with a super folding mechanism, but they are too large and too picky to drive to use anywhere except at home. Typically, you’d opt for open-back headphones in a home setting. Personally, I believe Dan Clark made some unconventional decisions during the conception of these headphones. While they may not be bad, they certainly occupy a unique space – a sort of ‘no man’s land’ in the headphone world. Of course, I could be mistaken.

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #1,720 of 1,891
I don’t totally get these headphones. They are closed-back and equipped with a super folding mechanism, but they are too large and too picky to drive to use anywhere except at home. Typically, you’d opt for open-back headphones in a home setting. Personally, I believe Dan Clark made some unconventional decisions during the conception of these headphones. While they may not be bad, they certainly occupy a unique space – a sort of ‘no man’s land’ in the headphone world. Of course, I could be mistaken.
Well if you fancy taking them places that aren't home that have people around. Even at home you might want that. If you were really picky about having the best sound on a plane,,, long bus journey...

But apparently these will look silly OnTheGo,,so obviously bulkier than Aeon Closed...Focal Radiance seem like one of the top5 for being an all rounder. An actual top end closed back for taking on walks,everywhere.. I've personally got my eyes on a pair of Audio Technicas WP900, they are made for that and a price bracket below again but very well received tuning, balanced,,with some fun refined low end

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #1,722 of 1,891
They serve me well to isolate me from the sound of the computer, the screens hiss,, the chair, the mouse, the fans, all the machines in general, the windows, the fridge, the noisy neighbors etc. with E3 on, it's only about the music (and the fatigue induced tinitus).

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #1,723 of 1,891
Well if you fancy taking them places that aren't home that have people around. Even at home you might want that. If you were really picky about having the best sound on a plane,,, long bus journey...

But apparently these will look silly OnTheGo,,so obviously bulkier than Aeon Closed...Focal Radiance seem like one of the top5 for being an all rounder. An actual top end closed back for taking on walks,everywhere.. I've personally got my eyes on a pair of Audio Technicas WP900, they are made for that and a price bracket below again but very well received tuning, balanced,,with some fun refined low end
The Radiance are too large to bring on trips and they look massive compared to most ANC headphones when out and about. The Bathys are much smaller than the Radiance and people still feel the Bathys looks massive on people's heads. I've brought the Radiance + mojo 2 with me a few times on trips for usage at the destination, but every time I wish they were folding like DCA headphones as they take up lots of space in my backpack and won't fit in the front pocket of my camera bag like say a PX8, XM5, Solitaire T etc.

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #1,724 of 1,891
A question for E3 owners: when I had my Aeon Noire (which I sold), no matter what the measurements said, I had a very obvious feeling of lacking bass, which made no sense when I looked at the measurements I made with my minidsp. It should have plenty of bass, but I heard it as massively lacking bass compared to my Arya Stealth, for example. The sound was quite lean, it had many great things, but it lacked body. Does the E3 have a similar to Noire’s bass response/feeling? Thanks!

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #1,725 of 1,891
Typically, you’d opt for open-back headphones in a home setting
Not always, specially if you listen to music with others in the same room and don’t want to bother them with the sound open cans leak, or if your home environment is noisy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back