Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Apr 2, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #1,681 of 1,945
While we’re on the topic of amps, can someone suggest a budget-minded option to pair with the E3? Right now I have an ifi zendac v2, and I’ve been looking to buy an xduoo ta-22. I like this combo amp/dac because then I can sell the ifi, but if there is a good option I can use it as my dac. I’m hoping to spend less than $500.
I’ve had many high end amps including WA33’s and the like here and I’ve listened to the stealth on most of them, I am currently running the E3 with the following to great success to my ears:
Xduoo XD05 Pro
Schiit Midgard
Even the I-Basso DC Elite drives then good.

I find the Midgard the best of the bunch when being fed a signal from the Xduoo using the AKM DAC Card.

Check out @GoldenSound review of the Midgard. It’s a banger for the bucks for sure.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #1,682 of 1,945
Hi!!!

I’m very interested in a new ‘portable’ closed-back headphone for various cases:

- At home, when I need isolation or don’t want to disturb my family.
- For long, relaxing walks in the city or on the beach area during my holidays in Spain.

Currently, I have the 109pro for home use (and very pleased with its sound and comfort) and the 99 classics. Now, I’m considering the New Liric 2 to replace the 99´s. I’m 99% decided on the Liric 2 because of its more ‘portable’ nature (smaller, easier to drive, and better aesthetics—though this is a personal preference, of course), but I think the E3 it´s a nice option too at the same price.

Has anyone used the E3 headphones outdoors? I think the Liric 2 might be too big for outdoor use for some (to me it´s in the limit), so the E3 are a no-go here... or am I wrong?

Thank you in advance!

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #1,683 of 1,945
Hi!!!

I’m very interested in a new ‘portable’ closed-back headphone for various cases:

- For long, relaxing walks in the city or on the beach area during my holidays in Spain.

Currently, I have the 109pro for home use (and very pleased with its sound and comfort) and the 99 classics. Now, I’m considering the New Liric 2 to replace the 99´s. I’m 99% decided on the Liric 2 because of its more ‘portable’ nature (smaller, easier to drive, and better aesthetics—though this is a personal preference, of course), but I think the E3 it´s a nice option too at the same price.

Has anyone used the E3 headphones outdoors? I think the Liric 2 might be too big for outdoor use for some (to me it´s in the limit), so the E3 are a no-go here... or am I wrong?

Thank you in advance!
I wouldn’t wear the E3 outdoors. It’s a stationary home headphone for me. It’s too large to wear walking around to me. Especially if I’m going to be turning my head to and fro.

Now for walking I prefer IEM’s for music or AirPods (for audiobooks) but if I’m walking in a very public area I would only use AirPods or another tws type of IEM’s with ambient noise mode turned on. I need to hear people and things around me. For a private walk the IE900 are my choice.

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #1,684 of 1,945
Hi!!!

Thank you in advance!
You’d be better off getting a high end wireless like Dali IO 12. The idea of walking around with a cable and DAC /amp and phone seems like a lot. I guess a DAP would work better but why?

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #1,685 of 1,945
I’ve listened to the Dali IO-12, and the sound is at the same level or even worse than the 99 Classics. I really enjoy walking through the residential area, forest, or beach in the evenings and nights with the 99s paired with the iBasso DC04 Pro. However, I think the E3 is more of a stationary closed-back headphone, and using it outdoors may seem nearly impossible, right?

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #1,686 of 1,945
Hi!!!

Thank you in advance!
If E3 is a little easier to drive like Audeze LCD5, I will definitely take it on the go. Not on the streets, but on a flight or train.
Not a fan of IEMs on the street. I will take momentum 4 instead.

Apr 2, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #1,688 of 1,945
While we’re on the topic of amps, can someone suggest a budget-minded option to pair with the E3? Right now I have an ifi zendac v2, and I’ve been looking to buy an xduoo ta-22. I like this combo amp/dac because then I can sell the ifi, but if there is a good option I can use it as my dac. I’m hoping to spend less than $500.
I really like my TA-22, and found it able to drive the E3 without issue. Another option, if you want to keep the Zen DAC, is the xDuoo MT-604. The balanced out from the Zen DAC would have to be used, but it's a lot cheaper than the TA-22. I think the MT-604 is a great hybrid tube amp, especially for its price, and it too is able to easily drive the E3.

Apr 2, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #1,689 of 1,945
Nitsch Pietus Maximus or Headamp glite mk2 with external PSU

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #1,691 of 1,945
Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #1,692 of 1,945
Apr 2, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #1,693 of 1,945
Shouldn't a Questyle CMA 18 protable with its quoted ‘>1W’ be at least 'enough'?

I'm still thinking about an around the house (=not in my listening room) solution.
I have the CMA18. It drives them well yes. Not sure if I prefer the CMA18 or the DC-Elite sound wise since both have to be tethered to a player (my phone).

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #1,694 of 1,945
I’ve had many high end amps including WA33’s and the like here and I’ve listened to the stealth on most of them, I am currently running the E3 with the following to great success to my ears:
Xduoo XD05 Pro
Schiit Midgard
Even the I-Basso DC Elite drives then good.

I find the Midgard the best of the bunch when being fed a signal from the Xduoo using the AKM DAC Card.

Check out @GoldenSound review of the Midgard. It’s a banger for the bucks for sure.
Hot damn that’s a lot of power for $220. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also @GoldenSound, thanks for the review, that was excellent.

I was planning on buying an E3 and selecting the 4.4mm cable termination in case I ever get the absurd urge to run it through my FiiO BTR15. Is there anything wrong with using a 4.4mm to 6.35mm adapter to connect to the Midgard? Or is my idea of using a BTR15 on occasion so pointless that I should abandon trying to accommodate it?

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #1,695 of 1,945
Hot damn that’s a lot of power for $220. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also @GoldenSound, thanks for the review, that was excellent.

I was planning on buying an E3 and selecting the 4.4mm cable termination in case I ever get the absurd urge to run it through my FiiO BTR15. Is there anything wrong with using a 4.4mm to 6.35mm adapter to connect to the Midgard? Or is my idea of using a BTR15 on occasion so pointless that I should abandon trying to accommodate it?
With the Midguard specifically I think you’d want the XLR output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back