Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Mar 11, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #1,472 of 1,886
Aside from damping I don’t think that XLR outputs made to drive active speakers or other electronics with a matching input cope well with a low impedance load that wants some current as well: XLR inputs normally have something like 50kOhm maybe. This is not a power output like speaker terminals that can be misused easily for driving inefficient headphones

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #1,473 of 1,886
It has been said that this XLR output can drive headphones though, and that it takes advantage of the balanced circuitry of the Phonitor. The Phonitor has a single ended TRS on the front panel but the Phonitor is entirely balanced. It's so confusing.

https://spl.audio/wp-content/uploads/XLR_Adapter4Pol_EN.pdf

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #1,474 of 1,886
Mar 11, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #1,475 of 1,886
No but I mean I hear your point, too.
On the Head-fi Phonitor threads, users say they drive their headphones via the XLR output to their satisfaction. There is an impedance mismatch that can't be denied.
I'll have to try it to be sure.

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #1,476 of 1,886

---> Considering the E3 has a ruler flat impedance, maybe I'll be fine.

My guess is that with the Phonitor 2 Dip switch 1 & 2 ON (providing +24dB of output) I should be fine, but I will end up with a lowered S/N ratio. But the SPL has a very high S/N ration to begin with (thanks to the 120V tech), so who knows ? Hahaha I hate these aspects of music gear.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #1,477 of 1,886

---> Considering the E3 has a ruler flat impedance, maybe I'll be fine.

My guess is that with the Phonitor 2 Dip switch 1 & 2 ON (providing +24dB of output) I should be fine, but I will end up with a lowered S/N ratio. But the SPL has a very high S/N ration to begin with (thanks to the 120V tech), so who knows ? Hahaha I hate these aspects of music gear.

Regarding changes to the FR — yes. That only happens with headphones with wide impedance swings over frequency.

Damping is a different problem, though maybe more of a topic for dynamic drivers than planars: the latter won’t have resonances that make them swing by themselves and therefore might not need damping as much.

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #1,478 of 1,886
I just listened to E3 for the first time at CanJam. I'm very impressed and likely will end up purchasing these. I did some A/B with the Stealth and at first impression I think I like the Stealth a bit more overall due to a bit wider soundstage and what sounded like more bass definition. That said the differences were like the last 10% of the overall effect and both headphones really sound amazing.

E3 sounded much more midrange forward to me and at first that gave the impression of a narrower soundstage overall. However I could still perceive sounds further out in space at times and some even behind me which was an interesting experience.

I've owned all versions of Aeon and ETHER so far and the differences between E3 and Stealth remind me a bit of Aeon RT vs. Aeon 2, with the former having a more midrange emphasis and the latter having midrange less prominent (or even slightly recessed with the perforated pads in the Noire configuration).

In terms of concerns about stridency or harshness in treble peaks, I played a headphone "stress test" thrash metal band Vektor. This was very impressive. I think the AMTS effect is real here, as the singer and guitar sounded very aggressive and forward in the midrange, but at no point was it peaky or painful.

Instrument separation was on a whole new level for both E3 and Stealth compared with ETHER 2, ETHER flow (open and closed) and Aeon series.

Edit: I just ordered the E3 lol.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #1,479 of 1,886
After a few weeks of use, I have the conclusion the E3 is NOT a DAP's Headphone, very hard to drive properly, not at all an all rounder, it sounds great and then suddenly some tracks do sound horrible, not well balanced at all, to resume it is not an "easy" HP, lot of Dynamics, sometimes too much...
I have to find the right balance and it is very difficult, maybe with a warm cable if someone have experienced it, advises will be most welcomed.
First experience with DCA, the bride not easy to approach !

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #1,480 of 1,886
After a few weeks of use, I have the conclusion the E3 is NOT a DAP's Headphone, very hard to drive properly, not at all an all rounder, it sounds great and then suddenly some tracks do sound horrible, not well balanced at all, to resume it is not an "easy" HP, lot of Dynamics, sometimes too much...
I have to find the right balance and it is very difficult, maybe with a warm cable if someone have experienced it, advises will be most welcomed.
First experience with DCA, the bride not easy to approach !
Here are 4 DAPs recommended by Headfonics: Ibasso DX320 max, Fiio M17, HiBy RS8, Cayin N8ii
https://headfonics.com/dan-clark-audio-e3-review/2/

All DAPs are not pocket friendly though. But portable dac amps are working fine. Like Chord mojo 2.

I am still waiting a new DAP that can drive E3 with no problem and fit into a pocket. It's a shame that the new AK kann max can't pair with E3 well.

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #1,481 of 1,886
Here are 4 DAPs recommended by Headfonics: Ibasso DX320 max, Fiio M17, HiBy RS8, Cayin N8ii
https://headfonics.com/dan-clark-audio-e3-review/2/

All DAPs are not pocket friendly though. But portable dac amps are working fine. Like Chord mojo 2.

I am still waiting a new DAP that can drive E3 with no problem and fit into a pocket. It's a shame that the new AK kann max can't pair with E3 well.
I had the iFi Gryphon as a portable DAC and needed more for the E3 I just got a used DX 320 and it’s amazing!!! But pocket sized it’s not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back