Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Feb 16, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #1,307 of 1,907
They often come up when you do a Google search with the ex-VAT price, but when you follow it you discover the real price including VAT - bit of a sneaky trick but they’re not the only ones to do it.
Ah gotcha. Was going round Costco while looking so missed the relevant posts.

Yeah I have seen that on occasion. Not a lot but yeah you get excited and then gutted.

Feb 16, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #1,310 of 1,907
Surely not as bad as the 19-21% VAT we have in Europe...

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #1,313 of 1,907
They often come up when you do a Google search with the ex-VAT price, but when you follow it you discover the real price including VAT - bit of a sneaky trick but they’re not the only ones to do it.
Kind of sneaky, but whenever I bought stuff from UK dealers I got it without VAT as I am not in the UK. It depends on why is buying I guess.

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #1,314 of 1,907
It's pretty common to see parity on the US Dollar vs GB Pound price on luxury imported US goods in the UK - phones are a good example - but a price £125 higher than that caught my eye and did strike me as somewhat unusual, and not in a good value way. I'd happily stand corrected if the $1999 doesn't include sales tax, but my assumption is that it does. Just to emphasise my point further, on the DCA website the AEON2 Noire is $899.99, and has a typical UK price of £869 - £900 - so parity - why isn't that the case with the E3?

Importing directly from the US is obviously an option, but quickly becomes a nightmare if you have any issues and need to return it.
I often see people compare US retail prices to prices in Europe and complain that US prices are cheaper but US prices always exclude sales tax, which, if physically purchased in store, is imposed based on where the sale occurs, or is otherwise based on where you live (for online sales and, if you are interested, you can look up the recent South Dakota vs. Wayfair case). This is because sales tax is imposed at the state and local level, not at the federal level. State and local governments use a variety of sources to raise money, including state and local Income taxes, property taxes and sales tax so you can't look at sales tax in a vacuum but, if you are in NYC, for example, you would pay 8.875% sales tax on top of the sales price.

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #1,315 of 1,907
And in NYC that is significant
If you live in NYC, could also be paying in excess of 50% in income taxes (depending on your income) + property taxes. Sales tax is only a small part of what we pay here.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/research/stats/statistics/stat_fy_collections.htm#:~:text=Corporation and business taxes, personal,sales, excise and user taxes.

Point is, it is not really a competition. You choose where you live based on other factors in your personal life. Buy what you can afford (after tax) and don't worry about what someone else across the pond paid. I doubt it will make the music any more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #1,316 of 1,907
Basically this thread should be quiet until June / July. Nothing really to talk about until we all get our 6 months in

Nah. Still here since launch and it’s gotten better. I haven’t said much. But it’s sublime. You’d have to try real hard to pick out sound quality differences between this and any 4k headphone.

You keep making these posts. How long is this "moneymoon" stage supposed to last? I've had it since launch and my enjoyment has increased. Everything is relative, and in terms of sound quality I would not be able to discern differences between these and 4k+ headphones. I think the Stealth are the ultimate package (and expanse) with that extra bit of build quality and technically better measureable differences in distortion... but you are getting the ultimate package here.
Well, it looks like you are selling your E3. It has been less than 3 months since you got them. In the interim you indicated how Hugo 2 is maxing E3, how E3 is the best cans for metal, among other superlative descriptors for E3.

So what happened to your once favored cans?

FYI, 3 months is about the right time for "honeymoon period". :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #1,317 of 1,907
Well, it looks like you are selling your E3. It has been less than 3 months since you got them. In the interim you indicated how Hugo 2 is maxing E3, how E3 is the best cans for metal, among other superlative descriptors for E3.

So what happened to your once favored cans?

FYI, 3 months is about the right time for "honeymoon period". :sweat_smile:
Still favorite cans. Moved to a home with an office where I can now have speakers. So I have big ass revel speakers on my desk with a subwoofer.

Feb 17, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #1,318 of 1,907
1708189245910.png

Feb 17, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #1,319 of 1,907
Lol.. you know people can make up whatever they want, right :relieved:

Action speaks louder than words.

Edit: looks like there are still folks around low balling $1300 for E3... 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back