Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Feb 10, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #1,231 of 1,907
Oh sure but sometimes the wording from someone will transform "extreme nitpicking" into "non-functioning setup, absolutely terrible, total no-go", and you don't quite know what is what. Felt weird to be told a 2k amp couldn't amp a high end headphone. I'm glad to read another take on the mater. xxx
That last 5% has to put into words and it hard not to focus on them and think your set up is pants.

A long while ago someone did a blind headphone setup from $500-€10,000 for subscribers. Most of them were surprised little €10,000 was better when they all expected to be hugely better given the reviews. The guy said his job is to highlight these differences but it’s really hard to describe them for those that know and don’t know.

Small differences are of course there, and noobs like me fixate on them. If you listen to or have a lot of gear then the small differences matter, all the right pairings are possible, etc.

You then have the 5%’ers with little tolerance for anything less. You know they are being picky, but if you’re buying highend stuff once, it’s hard to ignore them.

Anyway back on topic there is a hifi shop near me that I can try the E3’s with my amp so might make the trip

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #1,232 of 1,907
Sometimes the last 5% is the most important 5%. It could be the difference between “great, but” to “daaammmnnn” or “now I can finally be one with the music“ (depending on your ultimate goal). This is why most people who argue for diminished return don’t really know what they are talking about because they have never experienced audio past the 5% (or 1% or whatever arbitrary percentage point you like to use).

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #1,233 of 1,907
Has anyone had a chance to compare the E3 to STAX headphones like the SR-007mk2.9 (spring and blu-tack modded) or the SR-L700 (blu-tack modded)?

And for something less "radical": any comparisons of the E3 versus the Audeze Maxwell? (both target Harman and are closed)

Thanks

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #1,234 of 1,907
Sometimes the last 5% is the most important 5%. It could be the difference between “great, but” to “daaammmnnn” or “now I can finally be one with the music“ (depending on your ultimate goal). This is why most people who argue for diminished return don’t really know what they are talking about because they have never experienced audio past the 5% (or 1% or whatever arbitrary percentage point you like to use).
Which I totally get and why I'll be getting the Super Charger and V7 opamps, since within the product by itself, I think can definitely be considerd getting that last 5/1%

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #1,235 of 1,907
Which I totally get and why I'll be getting the Super Charger and V7 opamps, since within the product by itself, I think can definitely be considerd getting that last 5/1%
If you're new to the hobby, please don't fall into the trap of spending crazy money on amps, DACs, and cables. Just buy a transparent DAC and amp ($100-$300 is enough for each), and spend the rest on good headphones and music 😉. The ASR forum has a lot of useful reviews with rigorous measurements.

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #1,236 of 1,907
Wouldn’t waste your time with VC from ZMF. It’s worse sounding than my $400 ETA miniC.
@invisiblekid
While I respect this opinion, these kind of statements mean very little. Just go try what headphones you have in mind only for yourself. I would definitely try E3 if I could but I live in a country where one has access to almost no gear. I once had the VC, I liked it, there are many who adore it, there are many who hate it.

Edit: Sorry if sounded like mr.obvious, just wrote because he stated he was new.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #1,237 of 1,907
@invisiblekid
While I respect this opinion, these kind of statements mean very little. Just go try what headphones you have in mind only for yourself. I would definitely try E3 if I could but I live in a country where one has access to almost no gear. I once had the VC, I liked it, there are many who adore it, there are many who hate it.

Edit: Sorry if sounded like mr.obvious, just wrote because he stated he was new.
I don’t disagree. I have not come across any single headphone that works for every person - my god even Ultrasone sold enough cans to stay in business. 🤮

I would be happy rant about VC… perhaps another time 😂

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #1,238 of 1,907
I don’t disagree. I have not come across any single headphone that works for every person - my god even Ultrasone sold enough cans to stay in business. 🤮

I would be happy rant about VC… perhaps another time 😂
Good for you

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #1,239 of 1,907
If you're new to the hobby, please don't fall into the trap of spending crazy money on amps, DACs, and cables. Just buy a transparent DAC and amp ($100-$300 is enough for each), and spend the rest on good headphones and music 😉. The ASR forum has a lot of useful reviews with rigorous measurements.
too late, sort of. Well I got the Burson Soloist 3X GT from my old Klipsch AIO and it walks all over it. I got it because you can upgrade the amps and PSU for not completely stupid money and I’m not one to go on the buy, sell and trade up road.

I’d rather have a very good base level knowing it can power any headphone I choose without then needing to upgrade the amp to cope.

Feb 10, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #1,240 of 1,907
@invisiblekid

I have and love my AudioQuest NightOwls and they are a pretty dividing set of cans.

Feb 10, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #1,241 of 1,907
I’d rather have a very good base level knowing it can power any headphone I choose without then needing to upgrade the amp to cope.
Got the Violectric V222 a while ago; it's able to handle both low & high-impedence cans and has enough output to power a Modhouse Tungsten. Also leans a bit warm with good "tube-like" sound and can stretch soundstage very well. At $1300 I haven't found another amp at this price range that checks off a lot of what I'm looking for. I chose this over the Burson Soloist 3X GT though the later is no slouch. German-engineered, well-built and very reliable. Worth looking at.

Feb 10, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #1,242 of 1,907
kind of like being in the top 5% or 1% in income lol

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #1,243 of 1,907
IR measurements are quite position-dependent, I'm not sure how much help this actually would be. I'll take a look when I have a chance and post if I can make something I feel is both accurate and comprehensible.
Thanks for your answer Dan. In his review of the Stealth and Expanse, Amir posted graph for the impulse responses, saying that it was a request of yours. Turns out, the Stealth and Expanse measure well right ? Less that a ms. I do wonder if the new E3 driver equals these results.

(( It's still unclear to me where the E3 driver sits compared to the Stealth and Expanse drivers ; technically better, or optimized / cheaper to manufactured... It's unclear but I don't mind :) ))

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #1,245 of 1,907
Got the Violectric V222 a while ago; it's able to handle both low & high-impedence cans and has enough output to power a Modhouse Tungsten. Also leans a bit warm with good "tube-like" sound and can stretch soundstage very well. At $1300 I haven't found another amp at this price range that checks off a lot of what I'm looking for. I chose this over the Burson Soloist 3X GT though the later is no slouch. German-engineered, well-built and very reliable. Worth looking at.
That’s was on my radar. But the Burson was £600/$750 off albeit the ‘22 version
kind of like being in the top 5% or 1% in income lol
Kind of like the haves and have nots lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back