Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Jan 5, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #601 of 1,893
E3 in the house, at least for a few days:

IMG_9538.jpg

IMG_9564.jpg

graph.png

graph (1).png

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #603 of 1,893
What did you think? When will the review be available on Techpowerup?
Still listening and testing, so there's some time before I can collect my thoughts and write the review. I'll share it here when it's done. In the meantime, here's something people might not have seen before when it comes to the E3:

IMG_9644.jpg
IMG_9658.jpg

IMG_9677.jpg
IMG_9664.jpg
IMG_9673.jpg

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #605 of 1,893
Doesn’t sound like a seasoned audiophile: analysis including only bass, mid and high… yawn. I will listen for myself.

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #606 of 1,893
Doesn’t sound like a seasoned audiophile: analysis including only bass, mid and high… yawn. I will listen for myself.
You are mean. LOL Yes, expressing in terms of what the music and sounds are like is not easy but there are accepted terms. I always like to know about the layering, air around performers and instruments, the transparency within the acoustic space, texture of bass and other frequencies etc. etc. Seems that many people are really liking the qualities of the E3.

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #607 of 1,893
@mrspeakers Have you ever considered making an completely Vegan option for your Headphones? Which you could choose on purchase. Free from animal Leather.

So Vegans also can enjoy your Headphones.

Otherwise the E3 tick all of my boxes on
High end Closed back
Sound quality
Comfort
No extreme sound leakeage like Hifiman Audivina managed for a closed back.

So it seems.

Maybe the Zmf Atrium Closed could be the next best option if it could be selected all Vegan or the coming Zmf Caldera closed.

I have yet found one that tick all my boxes. Its not easy finding Vegan High End Closed back Headphones.

I guess I will have to wait until the right one for me gets released. And meanwhile i will enjoy the Akg k371.

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #608 of 1,893

These are the most useful reviews. I don't need some goofball with 10,000 dollar power conditioners and 20,000 dollar interconnects telling me how organic something sounds.

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #610 of 1,893
These are the most useful reviews. I don't need some goofball with 10,000 dollar power conditioners and 20,000 dollar interconnects telling me how organic something sounds.
When someone ”reviews“ cans only in terms of high, mid and low, you know they are not very experienced and their opinion would not be all that useful.

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #611 of 1,893
Very little criticism and much praise of the E3. Not sure if that's judging the E3 in terms of just other closed back models or in absolute terms. So is it as good as or better than similar priced open backed headphones?
I would say in absolute terms. With the E3, you're not really making any of the typical concessions with closed-back cans, such as wonky timbre or a claustrophobic soundstage.

From a technical perspective, I don't believe one can do better than the E3 for $2k. That said, there are (primarily open-back) headphones at or even below the price of the E3 that any given listener might prefer from a subjective standpoint. It's always best to audition your candidates prior to purchase, if possible. Short of that, tell us your sonic preferences and favorite headphones heretofore, and perhaps we can give you more enlightened guidance.

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #613 of 1,893
Got my new cable in! The quality of the cable that comes with the E3 is good but I can’t do stiff/non flexible cables anymore! Much neater

IMG_0829.jpeg

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #614 of 1,893
Got a chance to try it at Audio46. They had it paired with Hifiman EF600 AIO, which I had never heard, so I couldn’t form any opinion on the sound quality of the headphone. However it was comfortable and had the right weight for closed back. I can see myself wearing it and working long hours. Wish I could demo it at home.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #615 of 1,893
Very little criticism and much praise of the E3. Not sure if that's judging the E3 in terms of just other closed back models or in absolute terms. So is it as good as or better than similar priced open backed headphones?

Newbie here. Went to an authorized headphone dealer and tested both the E3 & the Empyrean 2 on my Mojo 2. E3 matched Empy2's resolution, smoothness & slightly V-shaped tonality yet it has greater bass depth similarly to what I hear from a high-end speaker that I found very addictive. The only qualm I have is I wish E3 was a bit more efficient to drive but for a planar it's not too bad and it did ok with the Mojo 2.

I have to agree with DMS that it's not just THE best closed-back, but it can definitely compete with some of the best open-backs out there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back