Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 2, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #61 of 1,896
Thanks, I know DCA delivers world wide, but for 2k+, I still would like to audition them prior to a purchase.
I see, never had the luxury of local dealers to audition gear, for me it's always just a question of warranty and shipping costs

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #63 of 1,896
So we need the LCD-XC vs E3 vs Kennerton Rognir

Let's have the planar closed back rumble!

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #64 of 1,896
Dan Clark is a great dancer, I've seen him.

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #65 of 1,896
Control the Whoop Whoop? 🥳

It is not that simple, as it depends on a number of other factors
(As already mentioned, I still need a little more time)

NOMAX

PS.lol

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #66 of 1,896
An obvious headphone to compare the E3 to is the ZMF Verite Closed since the VC has been around a while now and has been long analyzed for its sound signature and open-sounding nature despite also being a closed back. It is vented just like the E3 is.

Someone make this comparison happen!

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #67 of 1,896
The ZMF is to dark and the illumination of the room/space is not very good for my taste

NOMAX

Dec 2, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #68 of 1,896
This. Sorta like the black-translucent plastic skins on certain 80s/90s tech gear (think the translucent GameBoys and so forth). It'd look super slick.

That, or just straight-up clear, like HD820 does with their glass backs.

Speaking of HD820, if anyone who has had a chance to listen to both of these cans recently could do a comparison (or if any HD820 owners end up picking up an E3 to compare), that'd be rad :) Curious how the only two higher-end glass-having headphones I can think of quickly off-hand compare!

Oh - one other request! I haven't seen efficiency numbers quoted in writing anywhere yet (albeit I only found this thread 5 minutes ago) - would love to get an idea of how feasible it'd be to push these to ~75-80dB off a Qudelix 5K for portable use. My desktop rig is an ADI-2 DAC FS, which should be just fine I presume.
I have an HD 820 and am one of the people who actually love it (probably my favorite nighttime listening headphone, and that's saying something given my current inventory). I ordered an E3 yesterday. I'll try to remember to come back and post comparisons for you when it comes in on Tuesday.

I also have Stealth, Expanse, and Aeon 2 Noire, so hopefully I can post some notes on those, too.

Dec 2, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #70 of 1,896
However, I find it difficult to accept that after spending $4,000 as an early adopter, my investment in the Stealth is now compromised and devalued by the introduction of the E3.
Stealth launched 2.3 years ago. That's forever in terms of technological progression. Besides, your Stealth was immediately worth $1000 less the moment you opened the box.

Dec 2, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #72 of 1,896
I liked the Noire very much and found the Stealth always to be over my personnel budget for a single headphone, so I am definitely interested.
@mrspeakers: When can we expect the E3 to be available in Europe?

Germany already has units en route.

Does it come with additional filter pads like Noir's?
No, we didn’t feel it was relavent for this headphone.

Hasn't been mentioned the weight and if the earpads are easy to replace?. I wish they offered an option for leather earpads too
455gr

Ear pads are not leather, it’s top grade Japanese synthetic leather and suede.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 2, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #73 of 1,896
Stealth launched 2.3 years ago. That's forever in terms of technological progression. Besides, your Stealth was immediately worth $1000 less the moment you opened the box.
Thanks for your reply.

Please let me know which other totl headphone has been replaced after only two years by a comparable headphone that is half the price.
Most other top line headphones have a shelf life of far more than two years.

I am not certain what the point of your reply is. Would you be a satisfied owner of a new, expensive car that was replaced after two years by a comparable or better model for half the price? And that car loses value as you drive it away from the dealer.

Cheers

Dec 2, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #74 of 1,896
Thanks for your reply.

Please let me know which other totl headphone has been replaced after only two years by a comparable headphone that is half the price.

I am not certain what the point of your reply is. Would you be a satisfied owner of a new, expensive car that was replaced after two years by a comparable or better model for half the price? And that car loses value as you drive it away from the dealer.

Cheers
That’s what some Tesla owners feel like…

Dec 2, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #75 of 1,896
Thanks for your reply.

Cheers
I’ll help you out. Google Hifiman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back