Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 31, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #556 of 2,262
Is the E3 on back order? It‘s been 5 days and mine still showing “processing“. Don’t mind waiting just an ETA would be helpful.

Dec 31, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #557 of 2,262
Is the E3 on back order? It‘s been 5 days and mine still showing “processing“. Don’t mind waiting just an ETA would be helpful.
It’s about 2-5 business days to ship, also we were closed Fri. Hope you enjoy it!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 31, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #558 of 2,262
While I don't understand and definitely don'T share the love for ZMF, I think they start falling into the Hifiman trap: too many similar new models in too quick succession, devaluing older models... I don't see that trend to that extent with DCA so far, and for sure hope this won't change.
Interesting, I had a completely different take, as I've found pretty much every ZMF headphone to have sonic differences, although you can mitigate that some based on pad choices. Post Alpha Prime days (still my favorite of the line up) I've found many of the DCA headphones to be more similar than different. Not a bad thing either way imho.

Jan 1, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #559 of 2,262
Interesting, I had a completely different take, as I've found pretty much every ZMF headphone to have sonic differences, although you can mitigate that some based on pad choices. Post Alpha Prime days (still my favorite of the line up) I've found many of the DCA headphones to be more similar than different. Not a bad thing either way imho.
I much prefer convergence on a specific sound signature with refinements over time. A vast lineup all over the place is not what appeals to me, but that may be a matter of personal taste of course. For me it’s easy to ignore models that don’t work for me — especially if they don’t appeal to me visually either.

So I prefer the DCA way, also because I know a general sound signature their models stand for. Which I happen to rather like. Maybe not each and every incarnation of course.

Good news for my E3 is that the headband seems to soften a bit already, so comfort is getting even better.

Jan 1, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #560 of 2,262
@mrspeakers can we expect more trickle down tech to the Aeon2 pricing level or was E3 a direct successor to A2 line-up ?

Would be nice if the roots of the company audience (Fostex modder scene)/budget crowd can get a slice of the E3 tech level...
Hi, sorry we don’t discuss future products or strategy…

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 1, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #561 of 2,262
I much prefer convergence on a specific sound signature with refinements over time. A vast lineup all over the place is not what appeals to me, but that may be a matter of personal taste of course. For me it’s easy to ignore models that don’t work for me — especially if they don’t appeal to me visually either.

So I prefer the DCA way, also because I know a general sound signature their models stand for. Which I happen to rather like. Maybe not each and every incarnation of course.

Good news for my E3 is that the headband seems to soften a bit already, so comfort is getting even better.
I hope I am not the only person who can't stand the fact the same model of cans can sound different from each other. Audeze used to be (like almost 20 years ago) terrible in QC and I had to open up 3-4 boxes to find one that sounded "correct" to me - thank god they don't have the issue to the same extent. I can't imagine any maker purposefully making these sound variations among the same model of cans.

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #562 of 2,262
I hope I am not the only person who can't stand the fact the same model of cans can sound different from each other. Audeze used to be (like almost 20 years ago) terrible in QC and I had to open up 3-4 boxes to find one that sounded "correct" to me - thank god they don't have the issue to the same extent. I can't imagine any maker purposefully making these sound variations among the same model of cans.
Having unit to unit variation is a QC issue to me, not a deliberate business decision (though accepting QC problems may be a, to me at least, dubious business decision...). I don't think Zach was talking about variations between units of the same model, but larger differences in sound signature between models -- which doesn't appeal to me, but is per se not problematic I think.

Still my idea is for the developer to have a specific sound signature in mind, implementing it again and again, refining it towards an ideal. I simply prefer to have a general idea what that sound signature is for a specific company and its headphone models, simplifying my decision processes. DCA models fall into this category for me, and, while I skipped the Stealth after owning past Ether iterations, coming back feels like known territory, yet better.

The problems you mention with past Audeze are really a bad thing. I never cared much for Audeze simply due to weight, so I never personally came across this. I also probably won't find any problems with ZMF models... with rather high probability I won't test many more if any at all -- too big, too heavy and their style doesn't appeal to me. Given the vast selection available in the high end headphone segment I tend to weed out models that don't fit my visual preferences... paying a TOTL level price that is obviously not meant to relate to perceived value (strange concept, maybe I did not understand that part correctly?) is also not on my menu.

Anyway, this being the E3 thread, its worth noting that holding the E3 in hand it feels like a well made product. Having transplanted the Stealth frame those parts also feel well engineered, with a simple yet effective construction. Would I like it to be smaller? For sure. Easier to drive? Any time. It'll be interesting to see what Dan comes up with in the future, though I understand that some SPL was burned by the AMTS tuning system... so it was more SPL vs. refined sound, the latter option offering the next step up the ladder. A welcome and rather big one at that.

Jan 1, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #563 of 2,262
Listening to my E3 now and I'm smiling. I just finished listening to my studio monitors + subs earlier in the day and these are the only headphone I've heard so far that gets me as close to that experience. Everything is just represented so well. I would not mind if this was my only headphone in my staple honestly.

Jan 2, 2024 at 1:43 AM Post #564 of 2,262
Listening to my E3 now and I'm smiling. I just finished listening to my studio monitors + subs earlier in the day and these are the only headphone I've heard so far that gets me as close to that experience. Everything is just represented so well. I would not mind if this was my only headphone in my staple honestly.
How’s the synergy with Holo Bliss?

Jan 2, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #565 of 2,262
How’s the synergy with Holo Bliss?
It’s incredible! Plenty of power on tap of course and the sound is immaculate like any other headphone I’ve run through the Bliss :)

Jan 2, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #566 of 2,262
I noticed you also own the ZMF Atrium Closed, can you compare these for me please.

Jan 2, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #568 of 2,262
I noticed you also own the ZMF Atrium Closed, can you compare these for me please.
I think the E3 is closer to the Atrium Open than the closed. The AC has very warm and somewhat covered midrange.

Yup, I'd agree with this. E3 shares more with Atrium Open than it does with the closed. Another person in this thread mentioned how the AC and E3 compliment each and I think that is very true. E3 is very true-to-life, crazy good details, low distortion and just....accurate. AC is a lot more flavored with more bass impact/oomph and a warmer tone altogether which can benefit some tracks that may not be recorded so well, thinner sounding tracks where the added bass is a bonus and is an easier, more relaxing listen over all.

Jan 3, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #569 of 2,262
It’s incredible! Plenty of power on tap of course and the sound is immaculate like any other headphone I’ve run through the Bliss :)
Holo gear - DAC/amps - are magic with planars...specifically body, timbre, holographic sound-stage and that timing....wow !

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #570 of 2,262
Holo gear - DAC/amps - are magic with planars...specifically body, timbre, holographic sound-stage and that timing....wow !
Good to know, I’m considering changing my Serene to Bliss and upgrading Noire’s to E3. That’s why I’m asking. Obviously with an adapter cable you could connect straighto to Serene’s dedicated headphone output XLR’s but I’m not sure how good it is compared to Bliss.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back