Dan Clark Audio (DCA) STEALTH and EXPANSE Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #92 of 186
Curious about how the Expanse compares to Ether 2 in terms of comfort. I feel one of the biggest draws of the Ether 2 was it's weight (290g vs 418g).
I owned Ether2 in the past.
I would say Stealth is more comfortable because of less clamping force.
But it depends on the listener.
I see how some people would prefer Ether2 and its extremely small weight - but to me clamping force was just a tad too big, hence I'm preferring Stealth.
Don't get me wrong Stealth is not heavy headphone, you don't feel it much on your head, it's very comfortable. But I'm also aware that some people are bothered with a bit heavier headphones.

Ps. Yes I know that you asked about expanse, but they are basically the same as Stealth

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #93 of 186
Definitely Expanse pick my interest.

Never have any intention to own closed back, I do think Stealth is competitive performer, but not my cup of tea. Also in history of Aeon series, Open Back always more to my taste rather than the Closed Back counterpart.

Sep 15, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #94 of 186
Well I may have to consider the Stealth now since Liric is not shippable to Canada from headphones.com and I don’t know of any reputable Canadian dealers.

How does the stealth compare to Ether C Flows for warmth? I am not a basshead but I do want my punch.

Sep 15, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #95 of 186
Well I may have to consider the Stealth now since Liric is not shippable to Canada from headphones.com and I don’t know of any reputable Canadian dealers.

How does the stealth compare to Ether C Flows for warmth? I am not a basshead but I do want my punch.
Why not order directly from Meze.com?
They ship directly internationally.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #97 of 186
Was told that they will not ship to Canada and I need to buy from Brick and Mortar shop. 🤷🏻‍♂️
That’s too bad. I hadn’t expected Canada to be different than the US.

Maybe try a smaller US distributor like Audio Advisor or Audio46. I know audio advisor does international.

I can’t say Stealths are worth twice the Liric, but they are spectacular.

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #98 of 186
I remember when I sold my Ether Flows that I didn't find them to be as good an all-round listen. I think it may have been the dynamics that were the issue, and/or the tuning. Something about the change from the original Ether removed something, though it's too far back now to remember. The thing that most worried me about the Stealth was whether or not it would suffer from the same issue. Thankfully not!

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #99 of 186
I can’t say Stealths are worth twice the Liric, but they are spectacular.
For me they are, but mainly because I didn’t like the tuning of the Liric at all. The Stealth is much much better but also not perfect. I take the upper mids down a bit, but I do that with various headphones.

Sep 16, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #100 of 186
The Liric and Stealth are completely different headphones for sure.

Those who enjoy the Liric (like me) may not find the stealth twice as good. The mid bass “slam” of the Liric can be more fun and engaging compared to the sub bass forward Stealth. I don’t regret my stealth purchase at all, but I’m not going to sell the Liric either.

Sep 16, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #101 of 186
I just received the iBasso amp12 module for the DX320. I can confirm that the extra voltage and mw is worth the $229 price compared to the stock amp11 mk2. No clipping on the infamous "Cradle to Grave". The module controls the Stealths beautifully. Soundstage, separation, details, and timbre are all excellent. Plus, the DX320 is more travel friendly than the Hugo2/2go.

Sep 16, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #102 of 186
I just received the iBasso amp12 module for the DX320. I can confirm that the extra voltage and mw is worth the $229 price compared to the stock amp11 mk2. No clipping on the infamous "Cradle to Grave". The module controls the Stealths beautifully. Soundstage, separation, details, and timbre are all excellent. Plus, the DX320 is more travel friendly than the Hugo2/2go.
Thanks for your impressions! At what volume and time stamp on stock amp do you hear clipping on “Cradle to Grave”?

Sep 16, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #103 of 186
Thanks for your impressions! At what volume and time stamp on stock amp do you hear clipping on “Cradle to Grave”?
58 High gain amp 11 mk2. Clipping/distorting. Violin is not loud by any means. Comparable to what I would listen to a solo violin on other tracks.

63 medium gain amp12. No clipping. Similar loudness as above.
50 high gain amp12. No clipping. Louder then above, I wouldn't listen at this level normally.
I'm sure I could go louder, but didn't want to risk more distortion. No need to potentially damage $4k headphones.

The time stamp from 0:45 to 1:05 is the most dynamic portion of the track.

I would say overall, the amp12 drives the Stealth very similar to the Hugo 2.

Sep 16, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #104 of 186
58 High gain amp 11 mk2. Clipping/distorting. Violin is not loud by any means. Comparable to what I would listen to a solo violin on other tracks.

63 medium gain amp12. No clipping. Similar loudness as above.
50 high gain amp12. No clipping. Louder then above, I wouldn't listen at this level normally.
I'm sure I could go louder, but didn't want to risk more distortion. No need to potentially damage $4k headphones.

The time stamp from 0:45 to 1:05 is the most dynamic portion of the track.

I would say overall, the amp12 drives the Stealth very similar to the Hugo 2.
This is good performance for Amp12. Thank you.

Sep 17, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #105 of 186
Just got the Expanse today and I am loving it! I only have a couple hours of listening time, but it is truly a great experience so far. Listening with May + HPA4 + AHB2 at the time of this post. The Expanse are also comfortable / light on my head which is always an extra plus. I will send some detailed impressions once I spend more quality time. Congrats to Dan on an awesome flagship. Back to listening for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back