Dan Clark Audio (DCA) STEALTH and EXPANSE Impressions Thread
Aug 19, 2022 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 186
Due to the deterioration of the other thread, I'm starting a new one for impressions discussion. It is only for discussion of one's experiences with the Steath and system matching, and direct questions from people looking to purchase a Stealth.

To keep the noise ratio low, if you are asking a question, please search the thread first to see if what you are looking for (eg: specific amplifier impressions) have been posted first.

No for sale or wanted to buy posts!

Aug 19, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 186
Amplifiers I've tried the Stealth with, in rough performance order. The source for each amp is at least in the same, or a similar price bracket, if not a higher one.

Schiit Magni Heresy
Can easily hit maximum volume in high gain without the sound getting too loud. Soundstage compressed. Bass control poor.

Audio-gd R2R-11 M2
Pleasant sounding, but lacking in clarity. Some soundstage compression. Better as a DAC to a better amp.

Topping A90D (balanced output)
Soundstage is more open, but very left-to-right, without a sense of front-to-back depth. Instrument and vocal position moderately indistinct.
If paired with a D90 without USB isolation, the sound is "hard" and somewhat unpleasant. Either a non-mains-connected source, or a USB isolator or similar is needed to rectify this.

FiiO M17
Headphone drive is excellent, but can sound a bit flat or plain with the ESS-based DAC.

Chord Hugo 2 + 2go
Better detail and separation, with more of a sense of depth. Nuances in individual notes more apparent. Gain slightly limited, with the volume control heading up to white with classical.

Headamp GS-X mini
A touch warm-sounding. Has a slightly heavy/punchy sound with better depth than the $500 amps. Needs to be used with the balanced output in high gain for optimum performance. Not the widest, deepest or most nuanced, however.

Audio-gd R-27HE (USB, OS8)
Excellent headphone drive. Not as nuanced as the Chord gear, DAC-wise, or the ALO Studio Six amp-wise, though this can be improved considerably with HQPlayer.

ALO Audio Studio Six
More nuanced sound, but without as much bass punch, and not as much raw detail as the TT2. Impressions are very dependant on the selected tubes and warm-up time.

Chord TT2 (with or without MScaler)
Can easily hit -0 dB from the front outputs in high gain, but otherwise headphone drive is excellent. The bass doesn't sound as strong as it does from other amps, but possibly from less from bloating/lack of control. Music nuance and flow is a distinct step up from the Hugo 2. May give a sound that is too "bass light" for some people.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 186
Thank you for starting this thread.

Aug 19, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 186
I have mainly used the Stealth with Schiit gear. The Ragnarok 2 and the Mjolnir. The Ragnarok with a Yggdrasil A2 OG. The Mjolnir with a Gungnir Multibit.

Aug 19, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 186
Both of these amps are very clean with good impact and bass extension. The Mjolnir is a little warmer with a deeper soundstage.

The Ragnarok is neutral with a wider soundstage. Of course this is relative to each other. I don’t have any other amps on hand to compare them to. I do have a Folkvangr but it really didn’t pair well with the Stealth. Just not enough power to drive it well.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 186
Both of these amps are very clean with good impact and bass extension. The Mjolnir is a little warmer with a deeper soundstage.

The Ragnarok is neutral with a deeper soundstage. Of course this is relative to each other. I don’t have any other amps on hand to compare them to. I do have a Folkvangr but it really didn’t pair well with the Stealth. Just not enough power to drive it well.
So which one has the deeper soundstage? :confused:

Aug 19, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 186
My bad. Post edited. The Ragnarok is wider while the Mjolnir is deeper front to back. But honestly this is probably splitting hairs. The biggest difference is the Ragnarok is more neutral compared to the slightly warmer fuller bass of the Mjolnir.

Aug 20, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #8 of 186
It's interesting how the slightly less resolving amps can end up sounding more full, and possibly more satisfying. Reminds me that I hope I can borrow the Luxman again to try with them. Or else I might just have to take the Chord stack over to my friend's place.

Aug 20, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #9 of 186
I have mainly used the Stealth with Schiit gear. The Ragnarok 2 and the Mjolnir. The Ragnarok with a Yggdrasil A2 OG. The Mjolnir with a Gungnir Multibit.
An old solid state Mjölnir 1 or the tube Hybrid Mjölnir 2?

Aug 20, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 186
Finally got a chance to listen to the stealth today. Loved the tone, loved the detail, soundstage. But I can’t buy these because they leak sound almost like an open back. I need the person next to me at work to not be distracted by what I’m listening to.

Too bad, because I loved the sound

Aug 20, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 186
I didn't find they leaked sound that much. What is your go to for isolation? I found the Audeze EL8 closed to isolate the best of any headphone I have ever tried. I kept a pair for that very reason.

Aug 20, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 186
I have also used an AHB2 with great success adds slightly more definition, punch and dynamics paired with the TT2, TT2 is better match than the CH2 but for travelling the combo stealth and CH2 is very satisfying and what I use while travelling, gave up on the 2go and never looked back....

Aug 22, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #14 of 186
I didn't find they leaked sound that much. What is your go to for isolation? I found the Audeze EL8 closed to isolate the best of any headphone I have ever tried. I kept a pair for that very reason.

I'm still using iems because I can't find a good closed back that doesn't leak. The best I could find in terms of not leaking was the Denon 9200, but the sound didn't blow me away. Stellia, Ether C, Verite Closed, others all leak enough that the person next to me at work can tell me what i'm listening to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back