Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #976 of 992
Replacement Noire should be coming in today. Fingers crossed that this is truly the end of all the issues I’ve been having…
It’s now close to a year since I’ve first bought them.

EDIT: Spent the whole day listening to music with them. Every single time I am just in awe with how great they sound and how comfortable they are.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #977 of 992
I'm possibly making a trade for a set of Aeon 2 Noire. How are these with instrumental music like classical, jazz, blues? I'm not a bass head so hopefully the bass is not too much. I enjoy plenty of detail as well.
I can help you with that. Here's what you need to know about the Aeon 2 Noire headphones and their performance with instrumental music like classical, jazz, and blues.

Soundstage and Detail: The Aeon 2 Noire headphones offer an impressive soundstage and excellent detail retrieval, which makes them a great choice for complex instrumental music. You can easily hear the nuances of each instrument and the interplay between musicians.

Bass: The Aeon 2 Noire headphones are not known for overwhelming bass, but they still deliver satisfying low-end presence. You'll get enough warmth and impact for most classical, jazz, and blues recordings without sacrificing clarity.

Overall Sound Signature: The Aeon 2 Noire headphones have a neutral-bright sound signature, which means they provide a clear, energetic sound that emphasizes detail rather than pure warmth.

I hope that helps!

Attachments

• IMG_3626.jpeg
    IMG_3626.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 24, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #978 of 992
I can help you with that. Here's what you need to know about the Aeon 2 Noire headphones and their performance with instrumental music like classical, jazz, and blues.

Soundstage and Detail: The Aeon 2 Noire headphones offer an impressive soundstage and excellent detail retrieval, which makes them a great choice for complex instrumental music. You can easily hear the nuances of each instrument and the interplay between musicians.

Bass: The Aeon 2 Noire headphones are not known for overwhelming bass, but they still deliver satisfying low-end presence. You'll get enough warmth and impact for most classical, jazz, and blues recordings without sacrificing clarity.

Overall Sound Signature: The Aeon 2 Noire headphones have a neutral-bright sound signature, which means they provide a clear, energetic sound that emphasizes detail rather than pure warmth.

I hope that helps!
This is a good assessment. I do think they reproduce timbre well so that makes them a good choice for music featuring acoustic instruments. Not really much in the way of slam, but microdynamics are quite good.

Apr 24, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #979 of 992
I recently took mine, along with the Chord Mojo 2 almost too the Minnesota/Canadian border. Only a week long trip, with about 8 hour travel time each way (eating into the vacation).

I was very hesitant to add this kit to my gear, but even with very little time to listen to music the sound made me very glad I did!!! I was LLC immersed in the music and my vacation goal to chill out was wonderfully satisfied!

BT is handy, but wired headphones with the right DAC/AMP is well worth the extra “baggage”! My spouse thinks I’m 🤪 crazy

Apr 25, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #980 of 992

I hope that helps!

Thanks for that reply. I'm going to be using these on both SS and tube amps. I'm getting the Noire in exchange for my ZMF Auteur.

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #981 of 992
People seem to agree that the Noire and the Chord Mojo 2 is in synergy. How do you find this combo when compared to say the Noire and a desktop setup like the Schiits stacks or the Atom stack? Is the desktop solution much meatier or fuller?

Thing is I am very tempted by the E3 but in my experience it sounds somewhat underpowered by the Mojo. I haven’t heard the Noire with the Mojo though. And if the Noire is the ideal match for the Mojo, then this could be a gateway drug or at least a much more feasible option in terms of costs. E3 with a proper amp will cost quite a lot of money, at least double of Noire+Mojo 2.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 6:32 AM Post #982 of 992
People seem to agree that the Noire and the Chord Mojo 2 is in synergy. How do you find this combo when compared to say the Noire and a desktop setup like the Schiits stacks or the Atom stack? Is the desktop solution much meatier or fuller?

Thing is I am very tempted by the E3 but in my experience it sounds somewhat underpowered by the Mojo. I haven’t heard the Noire with the Mojo though. And if the Noire is the ideal match for the Mojo, then this could be a gateway drug or at least a much more feasible option in terms of costs. E3 with a proper amp will cost quite a lot of money, at least double of Noire+Mojo 2.

I have run my Noire off my original Mojo and frankly I don’t hear anything to rave about. The power of the original Mojo is the same as the 2 but of course the DSP is missing and perhaps the sound is different but I personally think far to much is made of DAC and amplifier sound, clearly others will disagree.

That said, they sounded fine, they sound like the Noire sound. At normal volume they sound good, they will get to very loud volume of course but if pushed hard up well above double blue the Mojo will distort. That is louder than one should listen but to mind it indicates a technical deficiency but of course that is being very critical.

Run off a Schiit Asgard the Noire will get to insane volume with no distortion, a volume level that if dared for a moment will literally make the ear cups feel like they are pumping in and out over your ears.

In my opinion, if the use case suits go for it but I would personally be wary of making to much of the apparent ‘synergy’.

Apr 30, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #983 of 992
I have run my Noire off my original Mojo and frankly I don’t hear anything to rave about. The power of the original Mojo is the same as the 2 but of course the DSP is missing and perhaps the sound is different but I personally think far to much is made of DAC and amplifier sound, clearly others will disagree
The Mojo 2 differs from the Mojo 1 in that a component was removed from the output path. This component aimed to give the Mojo 1 a warmer sound so it was essentially acting as an EQ. With the Mojo 2 having EQ via DSP that component was no longer needed. Removing it improved transparency. This could easily be heard as an improvement through the Noires, even without DSP enabled. The improvement was such that I had no regrets spending the money to upgrade. I am one who thinks the pair have great synergy because they share the same strengths (transparency, agility, resolution, tonality).

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #984 of 992

The Mojo2 drives the AN2 as stated above with ease. The original Mojo was very good but lacked the detail and resolution of the Mojo2. DCA headphones like clean sources with decent power from my experience. The Mojo2 is a great choice. IIRC it was Rob Watts travel combo a while back. I use the mojo2 with the DCA Stealth as well. I have to considerably up my chain to get significantly better performance over the Mojo2/AN2.

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #985 of 992
So I'm giving my Aeon Noire a first listen on my Singxer SA-1 amp. I have to turn the volume up much higher to get the same level as other headphones. They are louder on "low Z" compared to "high Z". I'm only using the 1/4" jack at the moment as I don't have a balanced cable for these yet. Also as with most headphones for me I have them on the smallest headband size setting. They do fit well enough though. Pretty light as well so I could possibly wear them for a long time.

Edit: seems I am missing one of the tuning pads. The black one with no notch. Right now I am running the Noire without any tuning pads and it sounds good. Even so maybe I'll get a new tuning kit from DCA.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #986 of 992
Has anyone tried the Dekoni pads for the Aeon Noire? I'm curious to try them out. I have Dekoni pads for my HD600 and I like them better than the stock pads.

May 2, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #987 of 992
Has anyone tried the Dekoni pads for the Aeon Noire? I'm curious to try them out. I have Dekoni pads for my HD600 and I like them better than the stock pads.
I recently replaced the stock pads with the Dekoni elite hybrids. There is a slight reduction in the sub bass. It lost just a little of that tactile rumble but it’s very minor and I’m hoping to EQ it back in. It Is more comfortable on skin than the pleather feeling of the stock pads. It is a tighter woven velour though to keep the isolation, so they are not nearly as soft as the velour on my HD 6XX.

May 2, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #988 of 992
I recently replaced the stock pads with the Dekoni elite hybrids. There is a slight reduction in the sub bass. It lost just a little of that tactile rumble but it’s very minor and I’m hoping to EQ it back in. It Is more comfortable on skin than the pleather feeling of the stock pads. It is a tighter woven velour though to keep the isolation, so they are not nearly as soft as the velour on my HD 6XX.

I was looking at this one: https://dekoniaudio.com/product/eli...ear-pads-for-dan-clark-audio-aeon-headphones/

Also looking at upgrading the cable. I've thought about Hart Audio again but I didn't have the best overall experience with the cable I got from them last time. it was a bunch of years ago so maybe they have improved. I find their website a bit cumbersome though. But I do like the modular system. I didn't have the best experience with Periapt either. Was also looking at Audiophile Ninja cables. I have two of them already and they are very good.

May 2, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #989 of 992
I was looking at this one: https://dekoniaudio.com/product/eli...ear-pads-for-dan-clark-audio-aeon-headphones/

Also looking at upgrading the cable. I've thought about Hart Audio again but I didn't have the best overall experience with the cable I got from them last time. it was a bunch of years ago so maybe they have improved. I find their website a bit cumbersome though. But I do like the modular system. I didn't have the best experience with Periapt either. Was also looking at Audiophile Ninja cables. I have two of them already and they are very good.
Those particular pads reduce bass quite substantially. Just look at the frequency chart Dekoni provides. Wouldn’t be my cup of tea. If you want all sheepskin, I would get the ones that are not fenestrated on the flat portion that touches your skin. They don’t affect the bass nearly as much.

May 2, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #990 of 992

Users who are viewing this thread

Back