Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #752 of 994
If all works fine with the dummer cable the headphones are OK.
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately the headphones show this weird behavior on 3 different cables and two headphone amps. I tested the dummer, vivo and the moon audio. After further testing the headphones either drop off volume on the right side, or get louder on the right side. On friday afternoon the right side was quieter from the start, I adjusted the volume to a higher level and the right side came back to life, even after I dropped the volume back to a safe level. The whole weekend the headphones acted normal, until today. At the beginning the same volume level on both sides, after around 30mins the right side dropped volume again. I adjusted the volume again to a higher level and it came back to normal.

Now, the only thing which is different from home, where the headphones worked without a problem on the weekend, are temperature changes. My use case scenario: I started listening at home today, left the house and got to the bus station. I was outside for around 15mins and it was around 1°C outside. Everything worked as it should. I got in the bus with maybe around 20°C or a bit more. After around 12mins the right side dropped off volume. I adjusted the volume, it came back, turned a litte down again. I left the bus, waited around 10 mins for my train outside with around the same temperature as before. Got in the train. After around 15mins I left the train and walked to work. The headphones worked without a drop in volume after I brought it back with adjusting the volume and settled it back a little.

Is it a known issue with this headphone, are they temperature sensitive?

Regards
Laurent

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #753 of 994
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately the headphones show this weird behavior on 3 different cables and two headphone amps. I tested the dummer, vivo and the moon audio. After further testing the headphones either drop off volume on the right side, or get louder on the right side. On friday afternoon the right side was quieter from the start, I adjusted the volume to a higher level and the right side came back to life, even after I dropped the volume back to a safe level. The whole weekend the headphones acted normal, until today. At the beginning the same volume level on both sides, after around 30mins the right side dropped volume again. I adjusted the volume again to a higher level and it came back to normal.

Now, the only thing which is different from home, where the headphones worked without a problem on the weekend, are temperature changes. My use case scenario: I started listening at home today, left the house and got to the bus station. I was outside for around 15mins and it was around 1°C outside. Everything worked as it should. I got in the bus with maybe around 20°C or a bit more. After around 12mins the right side dropped off volume. I adjusted the volume, it came back, turned a litte down again. I left the bus, waited around 10 mins for my train outside with around the same temperature as before. Got in the train. After around 15mins I left the train and walked to work. The headphones worked without a drop in volume after I brought it back with adjusting the volume and settled it back a little.
This is a contacting issue, maybe even inside the ‘phones right side.

Do you have a meter to measure the resistances right and left?
When it happens (with the original Dummer cable), document a measurement in a little video and you have the evidence you need to get the thing replaced or serviced.
Is it a known issue with this headphone, are they temperature sensitive?
Sure not.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #754 of 994
Thank you!

I don't own one by myself, but I can get one. How do I measure it on the connection? One side on one of the 4 connections and one on the outer side of the connection, or how is it done correctly on this headphone? Thanks in advance.

Regards
Laurent

Mar 28, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #755 of 994
U
I don't own one by myself, but I can get one. How do I measure it on the connection? One side on one of the 4 connections and one on the outer side of the connection, or how is it done correctly on this headphone? Thanks in advance.
Use the Dummer cable plugged into the ‘phones.

If it has a TRS plug on the amp side, measure:
• Left: Tip to Sleeve.
• Right: Ring to Sleeve.

Both should measure close to same, ca. 13 Ohm.
I get left: 13.05 Ohm, right 12.46 Ohm.

As you say, it happens with any of your cables, so checking with others isn’t necessary.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #757 of 994
I measured the impedance, but something seems to be off: Video link

Did I make something wrong?

edit:
I measured again and it came down to around 19.1 on both sides. Now I have to wait for the issue to reappear.
The video link needs a password.

Did you measure Tip to Sleeve for left, and Ring to Sleeve for right?
Exactly the same for both sides is surprising.

1680129890434.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #759 of 994
The video link needs a password.
Oh. I didn't set one. That's strange. But thanks for the heads up.
Did you measure Tip to Sleeve for left, and Ring to Sleeve for right?
Yes, I did.
Exactly the same for both sides is surprising.
It's not exactly the same, I measured multiple times yesterday. 18.7 left and 19.1/19.2 on the right side. Unfortunately my issue didn't appear, so I couldn't measure it when it happens.

Regards
Laurent

Mar 30, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #760 of 994
It's not exactly the same, I measured multiple times yesterday. 18.7 left and 19.1/19.2 on the right side. Unfortunately my issue didn't appear, so I couldn't measure it when it happens.

Regards
Laurent
Needs some patience now.

The Ohm value sounds reasonable, although higher than expected for the absolute value.

As the question about unit to unit variance came up here:
Did you null the meter before measurement?

Works like this:
Hold the measurement cable’s tips together.
Then, depending on the meter, turn a dial or push a button (e.g. named REL for relative), to zero the reading.
Or, with no such control, just subtract the value from the measurement.
If you now measure, the meter cable’s own resistance is taken out of the result.

EDIT: I’ve seen the video now - had to revive my Microsoft account - your meter doesn’t seem to have such a control.

Tip for the evidence-video: place meter and plug close together, so both are visible at the same time.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #763 of 994
Seems like ca. 0.6 Ohm is not unusual.
This ca. 5% is within the variance I’ve seen with a lot of other ‘phones, even more expensive ones.

Did you measure your’s?
No, haven't had the need. Just curious about such things... Thanks!

Mar 30, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #764 of 994

Users who are viewing this thread

Back