Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #736 of 1,021
Storing them in the case folded up and inserting the styrofoam block are not mutually exclusive. OTOH, I don’t really care what you do in the end analysis.
I see, thanks for clarifying. I just found an unboxing video that shows the little foam block, and it makes more sense now. I was envisioning the sort of massive foam pieces that some of my other headphones have come packaged in, which is not a useful storage solution for those cans.

Ibought the A2C a couple months ago with extra perforated pads (the ones that come with the Noire) and had the opportunity to compare them to the old pads and the old pads are without a doubt softer and they also had the typical "old look" where they look squished (they have been used a bit since it's a demo model, but still). No pad problems yet.
That seems promising at least. Thanks.

Mar 20, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #737 of 1,021
Thanks for the input, but I'm just not going to do this. If I am buying a set of 'phones that fold up, and come with a case for storage of them in the folded up position, I am going to store them: in the case, folded up.
I use a headphone stand for storage and the foam block when in the case. The cable storage in the lid will deform pad a bit. But this is all
I see, thanks for clarifying. I just found an unboxing video that shows the little foam block, and it makes more sense now. I was envisioning the sort of massive foam pieces that some of my other headphones have come packaged in, which is not a useful storage solution for those cans.

That seems promising at least. Thanks.
The only pad deforming I have is from the cable stored in the top of the case. It doesn’t affect functionality. I use the 3D printed plug from my stealth if I travel.

Mar 21, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #738 of 1,021
I'm looking at selling one of my current IEMs and getting some closed back headphones for sound isolation while working. Right now, these headphones are on the radar:

- ZMF VC (never heard any ZMF before)
- LCD-XC (heard the LCD-X pre 2021 and I really liked it)
- Focal Clear/others (never heard Focal myself)
- JM XTC (no exp with these)
- DCA Noire (no exp either)

Not sure if I want to stick to planar drivers or go with a dynamic. The only higher end dynamic headphone I have owned is the HD800S, and it wasn't my favorite for listening to my music library. Amp power isn't an obstacle since I have the Singxer SA-1 that can put out about 6.5W (I don't remember how many ohms tho). one commenter said that the LDC-XC would blow the Noire out of the water, and that ZMF is the top of the top closed backs. Any input from you guys that have actually heard these headphones and any recommendations you would give? thanks.

Mar 21, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #739 of 1,021
I'm looking at selling one of my current IEMs and getting some closed back headphones for sound isolation while working. Right now, these headphones are on the radar:

Not sure if I want to stick to planar drivers or go with a dynamic. The only higher end dynamic headphone I have owned is the HD800S, and it wasn't my favorite for listening to my music library. Amp power isn't an obstacle since I have the Singxer SA-1 that can put out about 6.5W (I don't remember how many ohms tho). one commenter said that the LDC-XC would blow the Noire out of the water, and that ZMF is the top of the top closed backs. Any input from you guys that have actually heard these headphones and any recommendations you would give? thanks.
I have the noire, its slightly bright, smooth, and warm tone with its realistic timbre made me prefer it over the moderately more technical performance and slightly plasticy timbre and tone of the lcd-xc. Haven't tried any of the other headphones.

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #740 of 1,021
The ZMF VC is a TOTL closed back headphone, much more expensive than the DCA Noire. Both are good in my book, the VC is a almost as fast, and a bit darker, the Noire is has a bit less midbass than the VC but more sub bass. If price is no object, a slight nod to the VC. The Noire is a good lower price option.

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #741 of 1,021

I can compare Noires only with the Ether C Flow 1.1 (planar) and Denon 9200 (dynamic), not in your list unfortunately, and the Ethers have larger and more rounded, enveloping soundstage while the Noires stage is more upfront and without the "sounds envelope besides the ears" effect like in Ethers; Noires hit less than Ethers (despite more bassy Noires, with the similar FR via EQ Noires have "weaker", more distant sound); 9200s have less soundstage than the both DCA headphones, less instrument separation, but have more punch and "in your face" sound. All 3 headphones are of good (even great) build quality and are quite lightweight. Isolation both directions is better on the DCA headphones.

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #742 of 1,021
The only higher end dynamic headphone I have owned is the HD800S, and it wasn't my favorite for listening to my music library
If you didn't like the HD800s, chances are that you don't like the Noires as well, because their frequency response measurements are similar, which I have confirmed with several listens to the HD800s and nine months of living with the Aeon Noire.

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #743 of 1,021
If you didn't like the HD800s, chances are that you don't like the Noires as well, because their frequency response measurements are similar, which I have confirmed with several listens to the HD800s and nine months of living with the Aeon Noire.
I had very high hopes when the 800S was released, but couldn't get a satisfactory bass level out of them on a few different setups I auditioned (EQ may be a remedy, but I didn't play with it). The rest of the frequency range may graph similarly for both cans, but I've never felt the subjective listening experiences were particularly similar. YMMV, it appears. :relaxed:

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #744 of 1,021

I have the Noire and enjoy it's slightly darker timbre with a little more bass than the closed DCA Ether CX. However the Noire is not a bass-slamming HP in my experience. The Ether CX is very precise and perfect for reference monitors especially with vocals which Dan Clark mentioned was the focus. Noire and Ether are very comfortable with nicely designed lightweight frames. Be aware the DCA planar drivers are lower impedance but need a good amount of current to make them shine. The LCD-XC may be more immersive than the Noire based on what I like about the LCD-2C since it has larger planar drivers. For dynamics, I own a few open ZMFs except for the Verite. I'm considering a closed ZMF and leaning toward a VC as many mentioned it has a faster dynamic driver that works well for electronic and heavier beat music. Before ZMF I enjoyed Fostex dynamics. No experience with Focal but heard good things.

The ZMF VC is a TOTL closed back headphone, much more expensive than the DCA Noire. Both are good in my book, the VC is a almost as fast, and a bit darker, the Noire is has a bit less midbass than the VC but more sub bass. If price is no object, a slight nod to the VC. The Noire is a good lower price option.
I'd concur with Mr. Silva here with a note that Verite's driver is known for a faster attack than the bio-cellulose ones if you consider the soon-to-be released ZMF Atrium Closed (AC). I tried out an AC for a few minutes at NYC CanJam and agree with all the positive reviews it is getting so far in initial reviews. The Atrium has a phenomenal damping system that Zach developed which really makes music come alive with spaciousness and imaging. ZMF may be updating the Verite with a similar damping if I recall a mention of it on another thread.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #745 of 1,021
I had very high hopes when the 800S was released, but couldn't get a satisfactory bass level out of them on a few different setups I auditioned (EQ may be a remedy, but I didn't play with it). The rest of the frequency range may graph similarly for both cans, but I've never felt the subjective listening experiences were particularly similar. YMMV, it appears. :relaxed:
Oratory1990 graphs show the Noire with flatter bass response than the 800s. The flatter bass graph is the noire, the other graph is the 800s ( sorry on my phone I can't add label to the graphs ).

Attachments

• 1B4F09EC-481F-46F8-9644-D0A47AC9F6ED.jpeg
    1B4F09EC-481F-46F8-9644-D0A47AC9F6ED.jpeg
    576.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 5E7DB401-9ABC-4F75-9975-E8EBAC95B35C.jpeg
    5E7DB401-9ABC-4F75-9975-E8EBAC95B35C.jpeg
    644.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #746 of 1,021
I'd concur with Mr. Silva here with a note that Verite's driver is known for a faster attack than the bio-cellulose ones
@G8torbyte , and I agree with you kind sir :beerchug: ! Now you have me thinking about looking for a used Ether CX!!!:laughing:
I have to add that I eq a DCA ACX, Noire and ZMF VC with a 6db 70hz bass shelf, which may not slam to the degree that many like, but is more than satisfying for my ears. The tube amps I run pump only 1-1.5 watts, but enough current for the DCA cans IME.
But different ears often prefer the sound of different driver types, I like them all!

Mar 23, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #747 of 1,021
Hi guys

I purchased the AEON2 Noire back in september last year. I also purchased the Questyle M15 USB dongle headphone amp / DAC. I use my Google Pixel 7 Pro with local audio files with USB AUDIO Player Pro. I was rocking this combo for a few weeks and decided to order the VIVO headphone cable with the the 4.4mm balanced jack. The cable arrived and I used this combo for around 3 months. Suddenly the right side began to drop off in volume. Sometimes just a little and sometimes the right side was barely hearable. I got in contact with the shop I ordered the headphones from and they told me to send them back to them and they’ll look into this issue. A few days later I got a phone call from the shop and they told me, they couldn’t reproduce this issue with their equipment and therefore couldn’t send the headphones to DCA for them to fix this issue.

So the next day I travelled to Zürich to the shop and listened by myself with their equipment and the issue wouldn’t appear. I was told the headphones are power hungry and maybe the Questyle M15 couldn’t deliver the power and that’s why the right side dropped off. They couldn’t answer why I was able to listen for around 3 month with that setup and haven’t had an issue with it until recently. I decided to buy the ifi iDSD Diablo, since it should be capable to drive almost everything and they told me in the shop it will drive the Aeons.

First I started on turbo mode, volume maybe around 9:30 to 10’o clock. I noticed some weird behavior, now the right side was louder, switched back to normal, was louder, etc. It switched around maybe around all 10 minutes or so and stayed with a louder right side after some time. I read on the internet. Ifi states because of the analog volume knob, you should listen between 11 and 1’o clock, because otherwise you could get channel imbalance.

Ok, so I switched to normal mode. I was around 11:30 and some audio closer at 12’o clock. It was still switching around with the end result of a louder right side. I’m using the 4.4mm balanced VIVO cable, so I switched to the DUMMER cable and the channel imbalance was gone. What the? I also own a 4.4mm Moon Audio Silver Dragon Premium cable and I also get the channel imbalance with that. So it’s not the VIVO cable.

I connected the 4.4mm VIVO cable again on normal gain, was getting channel imbalance and switched to eco mode and the channel imbalance was gone instantly. I listened at around 12:30’o clock on eco for around 90 minutes and never had a channel imbalance again. The sound quality I get on eco is really good. It’s not flat or anything, I just have to adjust the volume knob to around 12 :30’o clock to get a good volume for mye ears.

In conclusion : With the M15 the volume dropped off on the right side with the balanced 4.4mm VIVO cable. With the diablo on turbo and normal gain with the 4.4mm VIVO and Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable the volume on the right side was getting louder. No problem with the DUMMER cable on the diablo on normal mode (haven’t checked back DUMMER with M15). No problem with 4.4mm balanced VIVO and Silver Dragon on eco mode.

Has someone an explanation for this weird behavior? What’s going on?

Best regards from switzerland

Laurent

Mar 23, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #748 of 1,021
Has someone an explanation for this weird behavior? What’s going on?
I don't know, but, if possible, I would test by connecting the Noire to a DAC/Amp that has a digital volume control, in order to rule out any imbalance in the potentiometer that controls the volume on the Diablo.

Mar 24, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #749 of 1,021
I tested a few things yesterday and today. I had to clean my ears by a doctor on wednesday, because they were clogged, so some results are different.

First I tested again with the Questyle M15, which is the only amp/dac I have without a potentiometer. With my clogged ears it seemed like the volume on the right side was dropping off, when in reality the sound was getting back to normal on the right side. So on the diablo and on the Questyle M15 the sound gets louder on the right side and goes back to normal after some time. But it only happens on a certain volume. If I tame down the volume, I don't get a louder right side at all on both devices. So I don't think its a problem with these two devices. Could it still be a defective headphone?

Regards
Laurent

Mar 28, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #750 of 1,021
I tested a few things yesterday and today. I had to clean my ears by a doctor on wednesday, because they were clogged, so some results are different.

First I tested again with the Questyle M15, which is the only amp/dac I have without a potentiometer. With my clogged ears it seemed like the volume on the right side was dropping off, when in reality the sound was getting back to normal on the right side. So on the diablo and on the Questyle M15 the sound gets louder on the right side and goes back to normal after some time. But it only happens on a certain volume. If I tame down the volume, I don't get a louder right side at all on both devices. So I don't think its a problem with these two devices. Could it still be a defective headphone?
If all works fine with the dummer cable the headphones are OK.

Either the balanced cable(s) don’t make proper contact, are mis-wired or have a short, or the amps are challenged too much driving a 13 Ohm load balanced.
I’d bet on the former.

Just lately we found a problem with an aftermarket balanced cable, where the maker stupidly connected one polarity to ground. All amps tested behaved strange on that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back