Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
Jun 26, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #346 of 992
Just purchased a used set of Noire with the Dekoni sheepskin pads. The pads seems to make such a large difference that the EQ profiles I could find wouldn't be a match. Does anyone by any chance know where I could find a profile that will work with the Sheepskin pads (not perforated)..?
I have a lot of different DEKONI earpads for various headphones.
They ALWAYS significantly change the sound signature, some for the better, some not.

It’s not only the frequency response, but internal reflections etc. change the ‘phones whole character, so EQ can’t bring back the original sound.

DCA’s well though out pads are where Dan Clark made the Noires special, so get the originals again I suggest.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #347 of 992
For those that like a little more punch, dynamics and sparkle on their Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire,
I created an equalizer setting that improves on that.

I fitted it to work with the 7 Equalizer bands available in RME‘s ADI-2 Pro / DAC with the latest firmware.
The bands are carefully adapted by ear and own measurements.
I lived with the results for some time now, listening to a broad variety of music styles.

I am using the black foam inserts on top of the black felt.
Meaning, first insert the felt, then the foam.
Not only does this tame the treble a bit.
More important, it makes the soundfield inside the cup very uniform, so positional variations do very minor of a sound change.

If Aeon 2 Noire still sounds too bright:
Listen a bit quieter than usual, even helps preserve your hearing.
DCA Aeon 2 Noire‘s tuning doesn‘t ask for loud levels to sound very good.

The Equalizer settings reflects this.

Gain / dBFreq. / HzQ-factorPeak/Shelving
+3.5721.5LoShadjust Gain to taste
-2.03601.3Pk
+1.09500.5Pk
+2.53.7k5.3Pk
-4.05.6k3.2Pk
+1.06.0k0.9Pk
+1.56.2k1.1HiShadjust Gain to taste

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #348 of 992
Just purchased a used set of Noire with the Dekoni sheepskin pads. The pads seems to make such a large difference that the EQ profiles I could find wouldn't be a match. Does anyone by any chance know where I could find a profile that will work with the Sheepskin pads (not perforated)..?
You probably need someone with good measuring rig and to equalize it to Harman target.

Jun 26, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #349 of 992
Just ordered a new cable.
Furutech XLR connector. Copper cable + silver.

(Custom made by someone in Germany if someone else is interested)

20220626_123126.jpg20220626_123632.jpg20220626_114817.jpg20220626_120830.jpg20220626_123437.jpg

Jun 27, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #353 of 992
No, just a dry wipe.
It‘s more about general residue, the region I live is not very hot, so there‘s no sweat.

There was a block of black foam supplied with the ‘phones that keeps the cups spaced apart, saving the pads from being squished together, that I always use when I pack them away.

My pads look like new after about 1 year of use.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #354 of 992
Two days ago I demoed an Aeon 2 Noire beside my Audeze LCD-X 2021, a sennheiser HD800s and a Focal Clear MG. The Noire was a wild card that I threw in just for fun/out of curiosity. I was genuinely wowed by the level of detai/clarity as well as the FR. I found the Bass to be weighty and well-represented.

I see a lot of people complaining about dynamics of these headphones. I really didn’t think they were that bad. Sure they were a bit behind the clear mg and the LCD-X but the bass was actually quite similar to that of the LCD-X (only more of it). Also, the dynamics in the clear MG were not something I’d pick over the clarity and smoothness of the Noire. What am I missing guys? Why is this headphone not an insane value that competes with headphones almost twice the price?

I’m curious to hear opinions before I give them all a second listen.

Jul 4, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #355 of 992
Two days ago I demoed an Aeon 2 Noire beside my Audeze LCD-X 2021, a sennheiser HD800s and a Focal Clear MG. The Noire was a wild card that I threw in just for fun/out of curiosity. I was genuinely wowed by the level of detai/clarity as well as the FR. I found the Bass to be weighty and well-represented.

I see a lot of people complaining about dynamics of these headphones. I really didn’t think they were that bad. Sure they were a bit behind the clear mg and the LCD-X but the bass was actually quite similar to that of the LCD-X (only more of it). Also, the dynamics in the clear MG were not something I’d pick over the clarity and smoothness of the Noire. What am I missing guys? Why is this headphone not an insane value that competes with headphones almost twice the price?

I don't have experience with any of the other headphones you mentioned so I can't comment on that comparison but I don't think you are missing anything with your assessment. The Noire is the result of several years of tuning alterations over the various Aeon incarnations and they are just a very well tuned headphone that do a lot of things well and very little wrong. As I recall somebody else saying here they are "tonally sublime".

I agree they are light on that dynamic slam that people go on about but if you wind up the volume they certainly punch in the bass. I don't care about the lack of "slam" as I think it makes them a relaxed listen for extended listening sessions, they are certainly plenty comfortable to wear all day.

One thing to be aware of they do require more power than might seem apparent to do their best work but I do think that is somewhat overstated at times. I run mine off an iFi Diablo which has issues on internal battery power only but does exceptionally with a power supply or big power bank. I also use them on a Schiit Heresy that has plenty of power and they even do pretty well on Woo Audio WA6 tube amp that is technically lacking current for them. They also do pretty well from the 4.4mm balanced out of an iFi Gryphon although the volume needs to be wound up somewhat, not a lot of headroom. Chord Mojo is less powerful on paper than the Gryphon but does a very good job with the Noire.

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #356 of 992
I find them a great all around headphones with excellent FR, lack of distortion and a medium soundstage. The best closed cans I’ve ever tested. About their slam (or the lack of), their performance out of an amp/DAC Fiio K5 Pro is very similar to my Anandas and far more than my previous Stax SR-303.

Jul 7, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #358 of 992
Has anyone used these?

Fenestrated Sheepskin

Not on Aeons but on Beyer DT1770 the bass completely disappeared, they were unbearably bad, I literally threw than in the trash !

Seemed like the perforations and low density foam essentially created no seal, they genuinely sounded like stock pads with the cups pulled away from your head.

Jul 8, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #359 of 992

I did have the Clear MG Pro at one point and currently own the Radiance. Granted, not the same but still the Focal type sound.

I think the main differences between the two is probably the most obvious in that one is a Planar and the other is Dynamic. This took me a bit to fully get at first but yeah it's definitely a thing. I remember talking to a buddy of mine after I bought the Radiance and complaining that I wasn't that impressed with them...not like I thought I would be. At the time I had been listening to my Arya SE daily for months. He laughed at me and said "you have Planar brain" to which I thought huh?
It took me a bit but I eventually fully tuned in to the sound of the Radiance and they are now probably one of my top HP's I own and have listened to.

The Noire definitely has that detail and instrument separation...which is something you do get more often with Planar's. Granted, I know this is not the case all of the time. As for the dynamics I think it just depends how important it is to the person. Also the genre of music you enjoy the most can influence your likeliness to dynamics. Again, just my opinion if that helps.

Either way, whatever sounds best to you is what is best for you!

Jul 8, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #360 of 992
I did have the Clear MG Pro at one point and currently own the Radiance. Granted, not the same but still the Focal type sound.

I think the main differences between the two is probably the most obvious in that one is a Planar and the other is Dynamic. This took me a bit to fully get at first but yeah it's definitely a thing. I remember talking to a buddy of mine after I bought the Radiance and complaining that I wasn't that impressed with them...not like I thought I would be. At the time I had been listening to my Arya SE daily for months. He laughed at me and said "you have Planar brain" to which I thought huh?
It took me a bit but I eventually fully tuned in to the sound of the Radiance and they are now probably one of my top HP's I own and have listened to.

The Noire definitely has that detail and instrument separation...which is something you do get more often with Planar's. Granted, I know this is not the case all of the time. As for the dynamics I think it just depends how important it is to the person. Also the genre of music you enjoy the most can influence your likeliness to dynamics. Again, just my opinion if that helps.

Either way, whatever sounds best to you is what is best for you!

I guess the next question (and perhaps one no one can answer) is whether that sense of punch from the dynamic cans is “what the artist intended” or if it’s some form of colouration that comes from the type of movement the driver undergoes to produce sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back