Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #331 of 992
Stay with the original pads, they are essential part of the sound design.
Other pads will suck out upper mids.

Get a fan, doesn’t cost a fortune, less than good pads and achieves more comfort improvement, seriously 😃
I'll try that. But isn't genuine leather more breathable? I thought PU leather isolates more.

Jun 18, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #332 of 992
I'll try that. But isn't genuine leather more breathable? I thought PU leather isolates more.
Neither is.

Genuine leather soakes up the sweat and over time gets hard.
It can’t be washed, or the same happens.

If you really want to try, DEKONI Elite Hybrid might work somehow.
Their skin contact is made from Velour, the internals are fully perforated (the original pads are perforated on one side only).

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #333 of 992
Excellent headphones with the most microphonic stock cable I've ever heard, change the cable and this becomes an almost perfect closed back headphone which without critical listening is just a lot of fun

Jun 23, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #336 of 992
Well, the stock cable is not as bad as Hifiman cables, but yeah I also prefer more flexible cables.
Not as bad, but close. Both retain shape, both hook onto anything thanks to their rubbery surface. An afterrmarket cable is badly needed for both Ananda and Aeon Noire.

Jun 24, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #337 of 992
Not as bad, but close. Both retain shape, both hook onto anything thanks to their rubbery surface. An afterrmarket cable is badly needed for both Ananda and Aeon Noire.
Hmmm. OK, that is probably a matter of opinion… I am quite content with the original Noire cable. Of course it is perfectly OK that you feel differently.

Jun 24, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #338 of 992
OK, that is probably a matter of opinion…
Yes, of course. The cables I prefer are braided ones, flexible, without microphonics and unable to maintain any shape. Just a matter of personal preference.

Jun 24, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #340 of 992
Excellent headphones with the most microphonic stock cable I've ever heard, change the cable and this becomes an almost perfect closed back headphone which without critical listening is just a lot of fun

The stock cable was microphonic? I have found the smooth sheathing super nice, very pliable/flexible. At least with the standard dummer cable.

YMMV I guess?

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #341 of 992
with the most microphonic stock cable I've ever heard
My stock cable is anything but microphonic. The black one with rubberized, shiny surface.

Jun 24, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #342 of 992
Jun 24, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #343 of 992
I have the Aeon Noire and original Mr speakers Aeon Flow Open with the perforated pads fitted. The Noire makes the Flow Open sound drummy and resonant and quite bloated in the bass but with an EQ tweak courtesy of a variation of the Oratory1990 numbers the Flow Open sound very nice. The two make a nice open and closed pair of planars.

Regarding the cables, I’ve ended up with an EachDIY AliExpress four braided cable for the Flow Open and a GUCraftsman eight braid for the Noire and I like them both a lot despite that they are not hyper dollar “boutique” custom cables. I have the two factory cables, the Mr Speakers Dummer I re-terminated with a Neutrik 1/4 inch, a Koala Cables custom cable with a 4.4mm termination and the two braided ones mentioned above both with 4.4mm plugs. To my ear they all sound the same. I change cables for look and feel not sonic changes, but I know others think that cables alter the sound, each to their own. I’m not a great fan of the original Dummer cable but the rubbery one that the Noire came with is pretty decent in my opinion despite that I prefer braided cables for the suppleness and flexibility. I didn’t notice it being at all microphonic. I did try another cheap Chinese cable after a great experience with a 4.4mm to 4.4mm short interconnect of the same brand, it was a tight braid of stiff wire that was essentially a stethoscope !

I’m very much enjoying the Noire, I agree they lack that dynamic slam but frankly I don’t care when their tonality and other qualities are so good. If anything the lack of slam makes them far more relaxing to listen with all day working from home.

Oddly, I think as a result of their excellent tuning, they seem less fussy on the amplifier than the Aeon Open. They even pair respectably well with a Woo Audi WA6 tube amp which sounds noticeably wooly in the bass with the Aeon Open with no EQ. I saw a similar comment from another guy online about how well they paired with even relatively unlikely sources, anybody else had that experience ?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #344 of 992
Just purchased a used set of Noire with the Dekoni sheepskin pads. The pads seems to make such a large difference that the EQ profiles I could find wouldn't be a match. Does anyone by any chance know where I could find a profile that will work with the Sheepskin pads (not perforated)..?

Jun 25, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #345 of 992
Just purchased a used set of Noire with the Dekoni sheepskin pads. The pads seems to make such a large difference that the EQ profiles I could find wouldn't be a match. Does anyone by any chance know where I could find a profile that will work with the Sheepskin pads (not perforated)..?

Possibly best to get a genuine set of perforated pads to put the Noire back to how DCA intended ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back