Dali Headphones
Jan 17, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #676 of 1,056
A quick question:. When you use transparency mode on the IO-6, what happens? In my case, the volume stays the same and the mics pass through some of the surroundings, but barely. Enough to be aware of voices, but not enough to hear what they are saying unless there happens to be a pause in the music. Is this normal? It seems useless to me. I'm not that bothered as I use them in the office, but still... My B&O H9i pause the music, which I find works far better, but I had thought the Dalis would at least reduce the volume.

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #677 of 1,056
The iO-6 pauses the music too (at least with my iPad Pro - presumably it does for other Android devices too). I do find the amplification of external sounds to be subtle....a bit of an "echo" effect due to the external sound leaking in, doubled by the microphone picking up and subtly amplifying the external sound.

I don't use it (nor did I ever use it with Sony or other brands of wireless I've tried. This is just -me- but I personally find it rude keeping the headphones on (even with music paused or with pass through enabled) when someone is speaking to me.

Jan 17, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #678 of 1,056
Just received my Dali io-4. First wireless headphone. Before i had 1More Triple Driver in-ear and Beyerdynamic Soul Byrd. I'm using a smartphone with Bluetooth codec AAC and AAC files. So, how do the Dali's sound? Very first impressions: Not bad but nothing really special… Then I've tried with my glasses off and the bass became real and alive...For my taste just the perfect touch (not too much:wink:…Now i continue to listen as i wrote and the more i listen the more i like the sound (clear, wide, many details, and no need to listen with high volume to have good feeling…)…
Concerning perceived quality it's premium… Also very easy to use… I like the clicks to stop, move forward or backward, to raise or lower the volume… They also seem to be very comfortable!!! The only regret i have??? I have now to buy contact lenses:wink:

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #679 of 1,056
The iO-6 pauses the music too (at least with my iPad Pro - presumably it does for other Android devices too). I do find the amplification of external sounds to be subtle....a bit of an "echo" effect due to the external sound leaking in, doubled by the microphone picking up and subtly amplifying the external sound.

I don't use it (nor did I ever use it with Sony or other brands of wireless I've tried. This is just -me- but I personally find it rude keeping the headphones on (even with music paused or with pass through enabled) when someone is speaking to me.

Thanks for your reaction @AnakChan. I don't use transparency mode much, for much the same reason. However, mine definitely don't pause the music. I was using them with my PC, but I've just tried them with my Android phone with the same none-result. Hmm. Now to decide if I care enough to do anything about it.

Jan 17, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #680 of 1,056
A quick question:. When you use transparency mode on the IO-6, what happens? In my case, the volume stays the same and the mics pass through some of the surroundings, but barely. Enough to be aware of voices, but not enough to hear what they are saying unless there happens to be a pause in the music. Is this normal? It seems useless to me. I'm not that bothered as I use them in the office, but still... My B&O H9i pause the music, which I find works far better, but I had thought the Dalis would at least reduce the volume.
Mine doesn't pause, and I hope that they don't change that behaviour through some update. I use transparency mode when I need to hear what is going on around me AND I am listening to music. If I want to hear what someone is saying I take them off, just as I expect people that I talk to should. Full attention and that stuff :)

If I want to Pause during Transparency mode, it is so easy to do with the physical button.

Jan 17, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #681 of 1,056
Thanks for your reaction @AnakChan. I don't use transparency mode much, for much the same reason. However, mine definitely don't pause the music. I was using them with my PC, but I've just tried them with my Android phone with the same none-result. Hmm. Now to decide if I care enough to do anything about it.
Interesting. I'm just pairing my iO-6 with my iMac Pro and have just tried the transparency and it pauses the Music app too.

Next I tried Audirvana and the behaviour is different. With transparency on, it doesn't pause Audirvana, and when I press the button again to go to normal audio mode, it starts up the Music app (whilst Audirvana continues playing).

So I think we'll need to be specific with the transparency mode on which device (iOS/Android/Mac/Windows) we're pairing with, and which music app we're using.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #682 of 1,056
Mine doesn't pause, and I hope that they don't change that behaviour through some update. I use transparency mode when I need to hear what is going on around me AND I am listening to music. If I want to hear what someone is saying I take them off, just as I expect people that I talk to should. Full attention and that stuff :)

If I want to Pause during Transparency mode, it is so easy to do with the physical button.

Okay, but I basically can't hear anything in transparency mode, so making it useless to me. The volume doesn't drop at all. Personally, I do hope they change it, but I guess we're all different.

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #683 of 1,056
Okay, but I basically can't hear anything in transparency mode, so making it useless to me. The volume doesn't drop at all. Personally, I do hope they change it, but I guess we're all different.

Same, most other things lower the volume and allow you to hear what's going on. It's not something I use though, I prefer to slide 1 ear cup off anyways so no issue to me but it should lower the volume.

It does for phone calls but 1 thing I noticed, I have a friend who prefers to send voice messages on WhatsApp and that actually lowers the volume to low and plays the voice message which is what transparency mode Should do IMHO.

If what happens with transparency is what they designed it to do and not a bug, firmware issue, its stupid as you can't hear anything with how it is now.

Again, no issue for me but it's defo not correct.

Also, I've had mine since mid October and the issue of them not turning on sometimes is true, normally no issue but of late, it's getting worse. Just took 5+ times get them turn on! I really don't want return them for new ones has I've had no issues like others (head band creeking etc) so don't want risk it on a new pair but if the power thing persists, I will have to.

Other than that, one of my best buys. Dali are the dogs nuts and hit way above their weight and they have knocked it out the park with the IO series

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #689 of 1,056
Isn't everything doable with a little tinkering?

By the sounds of it you very much want it too be, so I am sure you can work out a way.
Well unfortunately not everything is. Actually i would be happier If it was very easy to replace it, im not so enthusiastic about tinkering anymore. This is the only "bad" thing about these headphones as i see it after trying then out. Im gonna get them anyway, i guess.

Jan 26, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #690 of 1,056
Well unfortunately not everything is. Actually i would be happier If it was very easy to replace it, im not so enthusiastic about tinkering anymore. This is the only "bad" thing about these headphones as i see it after trying then out. Im gonna get them anyway, i guess.

The way I look at it is that with 30hrs battery life between charges there should be a fair whack of life in them. And if in 5 years time I find the battery shortening.. it gives me an excuse to try something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back