Dali Headphones
Nov 8, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #316 of 1,056
The DALI also cannot compete with my Ether C Flow.. Connecting it to a good cable and DAC reduces the gap somewhat but the difference remains significant. However, for on-the-go purposes I can wholeheartedly recommend the Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt ... It's light, it's convenient and it gives a stellar performance for the money .... That way while traveling I can have the ease and practicality of wireless cans and a significantly improved SQ when using the IO wired .. A great companion to the DALI IO cans...

Thanks @WDitters ! I use the Chord Mojo as my external DAC. Less convenient than the Dragonfly Cobalt for sure. But the phone/mojo combo still fits in my pocket :)

By the way, the Ether C Flow looks like great headphones. Congrats!

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #317 of 1,056
Does anyone know if there is a way to use the DAC inside the IO 6 with an iPhone?
I have a lightning-USB adapter, but when I connect the IO 6 to the iPhone states it uses too much power ( I believe 100mA is the max) - it also looks like the IO 6 is trying to charge from the iPhone when plugged in.
I have another DAC (iBasso) and I can use that with the iPhone, but would like to use the DAC in the IO 6 itself, so I only need the lightning->USB-A and the USB-A->USB-C cable.
I guess a converter cable that just blocks the 5V power signal could do it, if the IO 6 can use it's battery to power the DAC.
Anyone got this working?

Nov 9, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #318 of 1,056
Does anyone know if there is a way to use the DAC inside the IO 6 with an iPhone?
I have a lightning-USB adapter, but when I connect the IO 6 to the iPhone states it uses too much power ( I believe 100mA is the max) - it also looks like the IO 6 is trying to charge from the iPhone when plugged in.
I have another DAC (iBasso) and I can use that with the iPhone, but would like to use the DAC in the IO 6 itself, so I only need the lightning->USB-A and the USB-A->USB-C cable.
I guess a converter cable that just blocks the 5V power signal could do it, if the IO 6 can use it's battery to power the DAC.
Anyone got this working?
I might be mistaken, but here is what I tried... Lightning to 3,5mm and the Dalis turned off seems to use the iPhone DAC (rather, the one in the adapter, since thats where the DAC is located), but if I unplug, turn the Dalis on and then connect I get a different sound signature, so I guess that it uses the Dali DAC then.

Give it a try and see what you think. I tried it with the DragonFly Black as well, and the audio got softer when the headphones was turned on, so I guess that it confirms my findings?

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #319 of 1,056
Roon recognises the Dali IO-6 (WASAPI exclusive mode) on Windows 10.
Can we have a Roon Dali IO-6 icon as for Audeze headphones?

upload_2019-11-9_15-6-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-9_15-5-0.png
    upload_2019-11-9_15-5-0.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Nov 9, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #320 of 1,056
Just a general question about the Dalis, my main source to will be Apple Music through iPhone 11 pro max will the sound be ok for me considering that the files will be relatively low. I wear my headphones 8 hours a day at work so this is my only way to listen through the day

Same situation here, 8h plus commute.

I’ve been reading all the comments and I’m getting pretty confused.
It may be that we all have different ears.

I’ve tried them all (not the M&D’s or the PX7’s). Sony’s and Senn’s are out of the question in this category, for me. They’re both fake in their own way. The B&O’s signature is just not for me.

I’m also looking for a do-it-all. Even for travel. But getting the perfect all rounder isn’t easy. I liked the design and ANC on the 700 but the sound, being Bose, it’s just Bose, if you get my meaning.

I loved the sound on the original PX’s but not the comfort at all so I was hoping the PX7’s would be the ones!

I tried the iO-6’s and everything about them is perfect (yes, perfect, or close) barring the round earcups which very unfortunately do not fit my ears. (The PX’s and the Bose did perfectly, being elliptical.) The sound level may also have been a little low.

I definitely will have to try the PX7’s and see if I have to live with sore ears from the Dali’s everyday (joking).

I’m gonna keep on reading. Further input is very appreciated.

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #321 of 1,056
I’m also looking for a do-it-all. Even for travel. But getting the perfect all rounder isn’t easy.

I loved the sound on the original PX’s but not the comfort at all so I was hoping the PX7’s would be the ones!

I tried the iO-6’s and everything about them is perfect (yes, perfect, or close) barring the round earcups which very unfortunately do not fit my ears. (The PX’s and the Bose did perfectly, being elliptical.) The sound level may also have been a little low.

I definitely will have to try the PX7’s and see if I have to live with sore ears from the Dali’s everyday (joking).

If you like the sound of the original PX (like I did) and like the DALI.. Then I can almost guarantee that you will not like the PX7. .

I spotted the following in the PX7 thread which does a good job describing the PX sound signature....

The PX7 have a treble spike around 10khz to add some brilliance to the treble. This will make poorly mastered recordings sound overly harsh and unpleasant, though. This 10khz spike is also known as the "Beyer-Peak". So if you've used a full-size Beyerdynamic headphone before, this sonic peculiarity will be very familiar. One caveat of this tuning is that it may "drown" other treble frequencies, which you may perceive as "missing something".

The PX7 have a peculiar sound signature indeed. But as mentioned before, these aren't meant for critical listening at home. The PX7 (as most other ANC headphones) are meant for the commute and traveling. A neutral, analytic frequency response won't give you much of an immersive experience when moving in a noisy and busy environment.

As you can read, they have a been designed to sound differently with their focus on another aspect of what would make people buy Wireless ANC cans... Reading the above I am convinced that while on the go, the PX7 may be a better choice if you mainly have the commute purpose in mind. The ANC and slightly exaggerated bass do a great job drowning out your environment ...

In my case, my preference is more that of a better sounding pair of headphones.. ANC also is important but not more than SQ . In that sense I do prefer the DALI because they offer me much more all round satisfaction... The do ANC relatively well, perhaps not as much as Bose, Sony or the new PX7... But in return I find that I am getting much more musical satisfaction.... The Dali definitely have become my de facto wireless cans standard... With added bonus that they even sound better with the Dragonfly And all of that while on the move ..

When I'm home I of course go back to my MrSpeakers ... Although even that is no longer an absolute given, that much I enjoy the wireless comfort of the DALI :)

And remember... It always comes down to personal tastes ... There is no right and no wrong... What works for me might not work for you and vice versa... But that's what makes this such a fun hobby :)

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #322 of 1,056
with the h9i's i initially thought they were ideal for what I wanted and would still have them if one of the cans had not lost sound when wired.. due to this problem i decided to exchange for the dalis and with in the first listen i could notice the difference.. i find the Dalis to be a lot more spacious and clearer. I aways use tusk as testing track and really could pick out parts of the song I had not heard though the h9i's. With regards to the bass.. i did find it lacking at first, but soon came to realise that it is more to do with the actual production of the song than the headphones. i have tried them with various different genres from Pantera, faith no more & fantomas through to Gang starr, cypress hill, Gazelle twin and chip wickham (and a fair bit of v recordings as well) . With each listen they seem to separate the sound extremely well and produce new things for me to pick up on. I have been a huge Faith no More fan from the late 80's yet only am really hearing how good Billy Goulds bass parts are.. This is not due to them being more pronounced or bass-heavy but just separated out and almost put to you on a plate. I hope that makes sense?

I like your eclectic hearing. Matches mine. I also listen to a lot of heavier rock, jazz and electronic. But the bands you mention are great. And the Dali’s are really good there too. (I use a little playlist I shared in a previous post)

Above all other features for me is sound quality. But the package features will weigh in, obviously.

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #323 of 1,056
I don't know why, but all changes in EQ on the phone spoil the overall quality of the sound, so it's a shame that Px7 and IO6 do not have their own EQ.
As for the rest of my impressions:
The midrange and treble are more exposed than in the M3, similarly with the clarity of sound, it is just a slightly higher level, but as for the bass, I would say that there is very little of it. I don't know yet whether I like it or not. In songs where the bass is a lot, headphones can add it, but in small quantities.
I like it if the headphones can also hit hard, unfortunately I can't feel it here.
In general, the mid and treble sound signature is similar to that of M3, with less bass.

I want to check how much M3 will actually last on the battery. And I will finally reside within a few days.

Sorry for the spelling mistakes:wink:

I’m sorry but I strongly disagree. Headphones, like speakers, should not have EQ. They should be true, “colorless” and faithful. That’s why I like the term High Fidelity.
You may always EQ at the source. I may go as far as a signature. I remember I loved BEE’s signature in NAD (a sound engineer’s “work”). But that’s tuning not masking.

Dali’s have amazing character, great soundstage, phenomenal separation.

Oh B&W, please be them. Or iO-6’s will reign.

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #324 of 1,056
I really don't think you will be disappointed. I'd just add, don't judge them straight away. It might take a little to 'tune in' to the dali sound but has others have said, they are just right, precise and spacious.

Not sure but do these have 'burn in' to people who have them as well? I swear they are getting better over time, or maybe it's just me appreciating them more I listen and testing so many genres now.

Speaking of genres, need test out a bit of coil on them, music to listen to in the dark should be amazing on these

Finally someone mentions burn-in! IMO an essential factor, in both speakers and headphones.
I keep reading comments such as “straight out of the box...” and that will change, sometimes a lot and usually for the better. But the “tune” will change. I like to read the “after (at least) a few days”.

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #325 of 1,056
Finally someone mentions burn-in! IMO an essential factor, in both speakers and headphones.
I keep reading comments such as “straight out of the box...” and that will change, sometimes a lot and usually for the better. But the “tune” will change. I like to read the “after (at least) a few days”.

Indeed. I made it into a habit to put any new headphones through 200h of alternating white pink and brown noise . .. My pair of DALI IO-6 now just reached 100h and it has audibly improved meanwhile.

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #326 of 1,056
The Dali iO-6 is just a marvel with Jazz at the Pawnshop album. It's articulate, airy, and very snappy with the piano and percussions - clean delivery

Nov 10, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #327 of 1,056
I like your eclectic hearing. Matches mine. I also listen to a lot of heavier rock, jazz and electronic. But the bands you mention are great. And the Dali’s are really good there too. (I use a little playlist I shared in a previous post)

Above all other features for me is sound quality. But the package features will weigh in, obviously.

Not sure if I mentioned but tool s new album sounds the dogs nuts on these as well.

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #328 of 1,056

I have put together a little playlist on Spotify for people who appreciate the heavier side of things (there a couple of lighter songs in there too) all of these are songs I have enjoyed on Io 6s

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/36Td3rKxIVoUbHUuhdW4Ev?si=byHoo4XFQxewWqKPdhciIg

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #329 of 1,056
I might be mistaken, but here is what I tried... Lightning to 3,5mm and the Dalis turned off seems to use the iPhone DAC (rather, the one in the adapter, since thats where the DAC is located), but if I unplug, turn the Dalis on and then connect I get a different sound signature, so I guess that it uses the Dali DAC then.

Give it a try and see what you think. I tried it with the DragonFly Black as well, and the audio got softer when the headphones was turned on, so I guess that it confirms my findings?

Hi - thanks - but that was not exactly the scenario I was looking for. I was hoping to be able to use them with just lightning->USB-A and USB-A->USB-C, so that it would use the DAC in the IO 6. With the lightning -> 3.5mm, you'll always use the DAC in that dongle.

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #330 of 1,056
Something else, which I truly find annoying.
Whenever I power it on, it usually connects to my iPhone (which I always carry with me). When I then want to use it on my laptop, I need to disconnect it from my within my iPhone, before I can connect my laptop. It would be really convenient if there was a way on the IO 6 to just disconnect it from its current bluetooth connection. Or, allowing another connection when the connection is not actively used.
Does anyone have that same issue or did I miss something...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back