Dali Headphones
Nov 1, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #166 of 1,056
I have both the i-04 and i-06. I noticed my YouTube video was shared in the first post of the i-04. I have since released my review of the i-06 and also a shorter video comparing both.

Updating my thoughts since the reviews, the Dali's have improved over usage. I dont use my Sony WH-1000XM3's anymore as I prefer the Dali sound signature. Also the bass response has improved over time. I would say its actually better than some of my other headphones that are more V shaped too. I've listened to a range of electronic music, and if the recording has the deep bass, you will definitely sense it. But its the overall presentation of the mid, treble and bass that is delightful.

I will never forget my first listen of the i-04. I thought I would just have a quick 10 min listen, then fully charge to full. 10 mins became an hour, which then continued into a marathon 6 hours straight listen. Just so enjoyable to listen to, and damn comfortable as well.

I have been using the i-06 somewhat more due to the ANC, but the battery life of the i-04 is phenomenal. You just dont need to hardly ever charge them.

For me, listening to music is meant to be enjoyable, and the Dali's are one a few headphones that leave me tapping my feet in tune to the music.

Thanks for your input on this. Really appreciated the work you put in.

I'm glad you noticed how much they improve over time as well. This is why I said earlier to give them time. Leave them playing 24/7 on the side if you have to. There is people who say burn in is a myth but it isn't. Some people are just not as sensitive to minor changes than others.

Kinda wish I went with the io4s if they are the same as the anc isn't really needed on my part but I didn't want take the risk of not having it. not that 30 hour battery is bad haha.

Again, thanks for your input and early video on these

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #167 of 1,056
Hello everyone. I've been reading this thread since the beginning along with the PX7 one to help me decide which headphones should I get. I'm looking for all-in one headphones.
After reading all this, I'm almost sure I'd love IO-6 in terms of SQ (I prefer clarity and details to anything else) and decent ANC (will be used in home next to tv and in office).
There is just one problem - damn size of earcups. I've seen here posts about them being too small and it being the reason to choose other headphones. My question is, is there anyone with bigger ears who loves them nevertheless in terms of comfort?
Also I'm curious why did they choose the inner pads to be only ~5.3cm in diameter, when avg human ear (according to the internet) has ~6.3cm in the longest line? Or is it normal for over-ear headphones to touch/lie on the ends of the ear? Personally I have 6.8-7cm and never thought of it as anything big till now, oh well.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #168 of 1,056
Hello everyone. I've been reading this thread since the beginning along with the PX7 one to help me decide which headphones should I get. I'm looking for all-in one headphones.
After reading all this, I'm almost sure I'd love IO-6 in terms of SQ (I prefer clarity and details to anything else) and decent ANC (will be used in home next to tv and in office).
There is just one problem - damn size of earcups. I've seen here posts about them being too small and it being the reason to choose other headphones. My question is, is there anyone with bigger ears who loves them nevertheless in terms of comfort?
Also I'm curious why did they choose the inner pads to be only ~5.3cm in diameter, when avg human ear (according to the internet) has ~6.3cm in the longest line? Or is it normal for over-ear headphones to touch/lie on the ends of the ear? Personally I have 6.8-7cm and never thought of it as anything big till now, oh well.

Never measured my ears but they are about the same as yours. Once past the initial 5.3 they obviously open up inside. This is a non issue. Beaur are ridiculously small but seriously, you will not have an issue with the dalis on that point. I'd say there is plenty of more room for bigger ears. Comfort is perfect with them. Anyone who has them as said the same too. You don't have anything to worry about

Nov 1, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #169 of 1,056
@HVHP Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed and helpful response. I smiled when I got to the part about not being able to have the head on one side with headphones on!
It all sounds really promising. I can't see how they would not be right up my street.
Thanks too for the info on the hiss. I think this is a 'feature' of blueooth or battery powered speakers and headphones. As you say, with music on it is unnoticable, but now I've spotted it I hear it even on older devices where I hadn't previously.
Most seem to 'cut' the sound after a second or two of silence, but the katch doesn't do this.
Anyway, thanks again for all the information, and thanks too to anyone else who can offer a perspective.

Nov 1, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #170 of 1,056
Hello, so I have also followed this thread from the start together with PX7 thread. I initially ordered PX7, they was told they had some production issues and hence I had to wait 3-4 weeks to get my pair. In the meanwhile, Dali has released their io6. I was excited to try them on.

I can say these are some of the most amazing headphones I have tried. The bass is actually pretty great. I do like a bit of a punch while listening to trap, hip-hop, rap, rock and other. styles of music. These absolutely delivery at all levels. I can confirm the initial battery anomalies as well as the high pitch sound. However, these have since normalised and never noticed them again.

I have cancelled my order for PX7 mostly due to amazing quality of Dali as well as numerous errors and issues with PX7. Also, many users report the PX7 sound to be boring.

Any questions please ask.

Cheers.

Nov 1, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #171 of 1,056
ANC works to reduce constant sounds like plane engines, trains etc. It’s not unusual to hear voices.

Dali bought the ANC tech off Sony the.

Received my IO 6's on Wednesday and absolutely love the sound / comfort but am.unsure if the ANC is actually doing anything, when I switch between on/off/transparency I can hear a difference in that there is no background notice"hum" but when music is paused I can clearly hear people in my office talking the same as in transparency and off, is this potentially an issue with the headphones as I was expecting more sound isolation?
Received my IO 6's on Wednesday and absolutely love the sound / comfort but am.unsure if the ANC is actually doing anything, when I switch between on/off/transparency I can hear a difference in that there is no background notice"hum" but when music is paused I can clearly hear people in my office talking the same as in transparency and off, is this potentially an issue with the headphones as I was expecting more sound isolation?

Adding to the replies already given.

The Dali headphones are completely designed and manufactured from scratch by Dali. They didn't buy in anything. Except the ANC which they bought from Sony. The ANC works exactly as it should. Cuts out constant noises like airplane engines etc.

I have flown with the i-04 on a plane. The passive noise cancellation is pretty good too.

Nov 1, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #172 of 1,056
I reinforce my belief that there is exactly as much bass as needed. The bass is present where it really is and after listening to several songs from different musical genres, I find that they play great with everyone.

For complete happiness, I miss the app with the equalizer

Nov 1, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #173 of 1,056
Any US based person have any luck tracking these down - or at least finding a dealer who has them on order?

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #174 of 1,056
It's hilarious for me to read PX7 thread. People will find any excuses to downplay any negative reviews of PX7. Funny how when nothing can be said people start throwing words like "grainy sound" "muffled bass" or any other audiophile jargon nonsense.

In my opinion if the bloody thing sounds good to your ears just go with it an stop comparing. It's just BT headphones and not even that expensive. I mean you can find Sony mark iii for 250e in almost new conditions, same goes for PX and at some point will be for PX7.

Nov 2, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #175 of 1,056
It's hilarious for me to read PX7 thread. People will find any excuses to downplay any negative reviews of PX7. Funny how when nothing can be said people start throwing words like "grainy sound" "muffled bass" or any other audiophile jargon nonsense.

In my opinion if the bloody thing sounds good to your ears just go with it an stop comparing. It's just BT headphones and not even that expensive. I mean you can find Sony mark iii for 250e in almost new conditions, same goes for PX and at some point will be for PX7.

I'm agree with you in first paragraph 100%, but I'm not agree with you at all in second paragraph. Not much people having luxury and/or money of comparing different headphones, and in this case is normal you try one headphone or earphone and you thinking is sounding good or great! Is normal too thinking new headphone is great because we paying much attention to the music and thinking is better than everything.

I having luxury of comparing much headphones (6 or 7 in same time now). Now in my house I have px7, mw65, m3 wireless, beats solo pro, h8, AirPods pro (this is 6 anc headphones or earphones), and having momentum true wireless, p7 wireless, hd800, hd600 and more headphones and earphones. This is big luxury and is giving me unique opportunity for comparing sound. Of course is still my preference and opinion of good and bad sound.

400 euros even is much money in rich countries for much people! but is much much money in other countries, in places where much people can't trying or making easy for returning the headphone with Amazon or the manufacturer that offering 2-4 weeks free trying the product.

I think new AirPods Pro (APP) is sound better than majority of 400-500 euros anc headphones, and is including dali io-6 and px7 and h8, h9i and h9 3g and mw65. APP is sounding very good with anc on, off or ambient mode too. I only preferring p7 wireless and m3 wireless than APP..

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #176 of 1,056
I don't argue about your preference on sound. Very subjective and individual. I'm just saying people are trying to justify with some sort of clever jargon why something is better than other.actually, rtings review is pretty much the only technical PX7 review I have seen so far and it doesn't sound that positive. Nevertheless, I am sure there is a large portion of people who would find PX7 a great choice. My point was just to be happy if it makes you happy.

Just listened to Rage against the Machine, Beastie Boys and Crystal method on Dali. Everything sounds impeccable.

Cheers.

Nov 2, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #178 of 1,056
Ok,
So I couldn't resist and bought the IO4's.
I've logged in to give you my *very early* impressions while I listen to them. I may update as I go. Anglemon makes thegood point that it is hard to have lots of reference points from a single user, so I'll do what I can to incude reference to my experiences-in particular AKG 702, Beyer 880 (600 OHm), Sennheiser 599 (all open backed) and bose BT soundlink 2 (closed) and Sennheiser 598s (wired/closed.)

Out of the box-Packaging was good. Soft carry bag is what you'd expect-not as useful as a hard case. I like that Dali have kept it simple without an app etc. A charging cable and headphones cable is it. I like that even the charging cable is Dali branded. When I started them they were at 80% battery.

Comfort. My big concern was whether my ears would fit without touching the drivers. They do. There's not as much room left as in the AKG's but they are just fine. The headband etc. is comfortable. The ear pads themselves are relatively rigid, but feel soft on the head. That said, when I switched to the bose for comparison they seemed lighter, coller, and with less clamping force. I have no problem with the Dali's but they are pribably the least comfortable of all of the above headphones. This is partly because they are closed back, and partly because I don't much like the fake leather on these or the Bose. The furry fabric of the beyers, along with the fit makes them truly unnoticable. I don't think I'll ever forget that I have the Dali's on.
One point of note-as with some other closed back headphones when you walk you can really feel the thump of your feet through the 'phones. This is worse on the Dali's than the bose, and is bad enough that if I planned to use these when walking I think I would return them.

Controls and features.
Build quality feels excellent. The phones have a very premium feel in the hand. Materials and construction have that intagible quality. Everything is solid and perfected. In this respect they are probably better than all of my above phones. The Sennheisers feel precision made, but a bit too platicky. The Beyers have the heft and quality materials, but some of the machining is a little rough. The AKG's shocked me when I first got them-they feel like a cheap platic toy with nasty fauz silver and thin cheap materials (they sound sublime, though, and are comfortable on the pads which is why I kept them.) The Dali's are in a different league to the bose. When I switch over the bose feel very light but in a cheap way.
The box has a diagram for controls. It took a moment to realise that you press the top and bottom of the 'outer ring' for volume. The swicthes are solid and everything seems good.

Miscellaneous
I asked previously about the bluetooth hiss which all devices have, and I initially forgot to listen to it and without trying wouldn't ever detect it. On the Dali Katch it frequently makes itself know to me. Not so on the IO4's. Also, the IO4's turn off the hiss a monent or two after the signal stops, which the katch does not.
The voice that announces the volume etc. is very british. I don't know how many localised versions they have, but it makes a change to hear an English male voice telling me the volume, rather than a femaile American. They pair easily and get out of the way. The bose announce the name of the device as well, which is clever, but largely pointless and adds a bit more friction before the listening starts.
The bluetooth range seems typical of my other devices. They work easily from one room to the next, but not from one end of my house to the other. In moving around the ascertain this I was again appalled by the thudding when walking.
These are not proving problematic with glasses, and as per my previous question they are fine when lying in bed on a pillow. The cups do protrude a long way out from the head, but this is narrower than the pads and is no problem.

Sound
I've saved the important bit till last. I like it. I was initially a little underwhelmed. What was I expecting?? I like a clear neutral sound, and that's what I got. To have thrilled me they would probably have had to have had all sorts of unnatural boosts to treble etc.
They actually had more bass than I was expecting, and thta's before I noticed that my phone was also EQ'd to slightly reduce bass and boost treble. I returned EQ to normal and it took a few minutes for my ears to adjust.
All the details are there , and nothing gets in the way of (so they aren't muddy.) Vocals are clear and the full range is represented. They have power without effort.
I tried a few tracks with deep sub-bass such as All I need by Caribou and it's there but it doesn't feel like sub-bass as much as the bose do. In this respect it is closer to the HD599's (wired). One thing I noticed in comparing is that the passive isolation is (unsuprisingly) a lot better. With the HD599's (open backled) I can hear the clatter of my keyboard. With the Dali's not so much.
The soundstage is good for closed back, but nothing mind blowing. The AKG's have an almost artificially wide soundstage,
It is easy to distinguish betwen individual instruments and sounds.
I don't think I can say much more without further listening.
I didn't have the experrience of not wanting to take them off, or hearing stuff I never knew was there. I think that is reserved for the first time you get some relly great phones, and I've been through that with my exisitng pairs.

I have been listening to spotify at very high quality, via a Samsung Galaxy 7 (which has Aptx but not Aptx HD.)
I guess it is fair to say that the sound signature is a good match for my Zensor 1's.

Conclusion.
Feel free to ask me anything and I'll do my best to answer.
I like them, and I like the wirelss freedoms.
There are two poiints concerning me at present.
One is the thudding when walking, and the other is overall comfort. Even while typing I've switched between pairs and every time my head has felt 'relieved' when I removed the Dali's and every other pair has felt less clamping andf generally more unnoticed. In many ways they have made me listen again and apprecaite the qualites of all of the headphones I already have.
I'm not sure they will become my 'go to' pair, though it's a pretty close run thing.
I doubt anyone (excpet bass heads) would be disappointed at the quality for price proposition.

Nov 2, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #179 of 1,056
Heya, I've been coming to this thread to see impressions on the Dali, the ANC version. Thanks for the input guys.

I'm planning to grab me a pair in a few weeks after I gather some extra money, specially for the office. At work I have a 8years old Grado sr60, they still deliver and aren't so harsh with Tidal (with regular Deezer they're painful after a while, just my feeling). At home I have a pair of Senns hd630vb (you have to feed these apart right?) tied to Magni/Modi 3 and if I don't take the senns to work it's because they're notoriously weighty and give me a slight neck pain after a few hours of dedicated listening. I'm interested in the Dalis but worried about it's weight.

My main moto is after all getting a decent ANC with the best sound quality possible, I've tried several ANC Sonys and Bose (not with anny proper dac/amp however), and got me underwhelmed, and when I asked the guy in the shop he directly pointed his finger to the Dalis, and invited me to test them in a week or so, as they were making repairs to that area of the shop. Besides headphone gear, I do not know much more on music equipment, but the man had the idea, probably thinking of a fast easy sell, of connecting the Dalis to whatever expensive brilliant thingy they have in there. I'm fairly new to Hi-Fi, and having the 2 cans above mentioned as my reference, I'll post my impressions once I go through that. I can imagine however that at first glance I won't be really overwhelmed, but we'll see. Moreover, they had more testing units from other brands I'll try to check too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back