Dali Headphones
Nov 3, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #184 of 1,056
Oh shame, hopefully you will find a better pair soon. I just checked, no hissing sound in my Dali. Was it with ANC on or Off? Or maybe on transparency setting?

There was a hissing noise with ANC on but that was to be expected. The static noise appeared when ANC was off. Sounded like electronic interference. My search continues. Maybe the Fiio EH3NC? :triportsad:

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #185 of 1,056
There was a hissing noise with ANC on but that was to be expected. The static noise appeared when ANC was off. Sounded like electronic interference. My search continues. Maybe the Fiio EH3NC? :triportsad:
I see. I would recommend getting a new pair, but if you find them uncomfortable then better return. I actually returned my first pair due to battery playing up with percentage values. Second paid is flawless though the clamping force feels somehow lighter.

Nov 3, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #186 of 1,056
Regarding the comfort of io6.so far they have really been great. I used P7W before and they were great but the clamping was a bit too strong. PX was down right horrible in terms of comfort (sq wasn't much to talk about too). Folio could be interesting option. But also might be all the same stuff. Good luck

Nov 3, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #187 of 1,056
I see. I would recommend getting a new pair, but if you find them uncomfortable then better return. I actually returned my first pair due to battery playing up with percentage values. Second paid is flawless though the clamping force feels somehow lighter.
Yeah I've opted to return them. Know what you mean about battery percentage values playing up. Mine had the same issue. They would inexplicably go from 50% to 60% after 5 mins of usage and 5 mins of being turned off. Weird. Didn't really care about that though.

Nov 3, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #188 of 1,056
Sent my IO6s back (along with the PX7s). The IO6s were uncomfortable due to their shallow / soft / round earpads. Also, when not playing sound there was static noise.

Sometimes I just don´t get what goes through a designers head. Why make headphones round when very few people got round ears? And if you want to make them round why don´t you at least make them big enough to cover peoples ears?

As for the depth of the pads. If these were sleek thin headphones in general I could have seen the point with shallow pads, but considering they are already fairly big why not add a couple of extra mm?

I got large, but not very large ears and for me they just don´t work. To me they are excluding parts of the market for absolutely no reason at all.

I really don´t like the PX7, but B&W got the cup size right (or at least it would fit more people than the Dali´s).

I was hoping the IO6 would be the headset that could replace my P7 (wired) and QC15 (only used for movies on flights), but unfortunately that wasn´t to be. Not sure if I would have even if the fit have been better to be honest. The P7 (wired) I think is surprisingly close to the Dali´s in sound quality. A real shame that B&W haven´t been able to keep the quality of the sound as they have developed more "advanced" headphones.

Nov 3, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #189 of 1,056
Update.
Despirte my previous positivity, I think they are going to have to go back due to poor comfort.
Everything else is really good, but it;s all for nought if your head breatehes a sigh of relief when you take them off,
For what it's worth I like quite a range of music, and they seemd particularly good at older rock tracks (Dark Side) and anything that was complex (lots of spacey ambient stuff.)
Sorry, Dali, they are going back with a heavy heart. I wanted to want to keep them. A lot. But that comfort thing seems very tricky to get right. It's made me appreciate my least used headphones (HD599) all over again. With their eliptical pads and lightness.

Nov 3, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #190 of 1,056
Just swapped my (200h) burnt-in pair of PX7 for a pair of Dali IO6, excellent service from Hifi-Klubben en who allowed me to spend two weeks with a pair of PX7 before swapping it for a pair of IO-6. Fresh out of the box it alrady is clear that the IO-6 will stay... :)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #191 of 1,056
Spotted on ecoustics: 'However, in forgoing ANC, the IO-4 is able to double its battery life to an incredible 60-hours per charge'

I was wondering whether this now means that if permanently keeping ANC disabled, the IO-6 also should be capable of those '60-hours per charge'?

No, because the chip used for ANC functionality is still being used for audio and so it doesn't matter

Nov 4, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #192 of 1,056
I'm definitely in love here .. After a good number of years where I spent a lot of my mobile life with Bowers PX, Bose QC20/25, Sony XM2 and XM3, and recently the PX7, I now have completely fallen for the Dali IO-6 ... I never really seemed to find my sweet spot when it came to wireless cans, especially because of the fact that at home I kept being spoiled by my MrSpeakers Ether C Flow headphones and iFi Micro BL headamp ...

But the Dali IO-6 for me definitely are the first ones to actually show a relaxed form of sheer musicality and a nice slightly neutral yet refined sound signature that reminds me of my higher end cans, the MrSpeakers Ether C Flow.... Of course, in comparison the Dali IO6 are a bit more bass-heavy, less detail and clarity and a (much) smaller soundstage ... But they are definitely the most musical pair of wireless ANC headphones that I have come across .... Absolute keepers ... (And that without even having properly been broken-in yet with pink/brown/white noise loops)

Edit: Also nice is the fact that they can be used in fully passive mode. Even though it was possible to connect the PX and PX7 to an external headamp, there never was the possibility to connect them in full passive mode. Which in turn made me wonder what (limiting) influence the electronic circuity inside the PX/PX7 would have on the overall SQ ... I am cautiously assuming that due to the possibility to completely power down the Dali and connect them via 3,5mm analogue, you can create a straight path from external DAC to the Dali 50mm drivers. That makes the Dali ideally suited to home use connected to a good headamp.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #193 of 1,056
Nov 4, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #194 of 1,056
I'm definitely in love here .. After a good number of years where I spent a lot of my mobile life with Bowers PX, Bose QC20/25, Sony XM2 and XM3, and recently the PX7, I now have completely fallen for the Dali IO-6 ... I never really seemed to find my sweet spot when it came to wireless cans, especially because of the fact that at home I kept being spoiled by my MrSpeakers Ether C Flow headphones and iFi Micro BL headamp ...

But the Dali IO-6 for me definitely are the first ones to actually show a relaxed form of sheer musicality and a nice slightly neutral sound signature that reminds me of my higher end cans, the MrSpeakers Ether C Flow.... Of course, in comparison the Dali IO6 are a bit more bass-heavy, less detail and clarity and a (much) smaller soundstage ... But they are definitely the most musical pair of wireless ANC headphones that I have come across .... Absolute keepers ... (And that without even having properly been broken-in yet with pink/brown/white noise loops)
Hi WDitters,
Have you cared to try the io6 through the stereo cable input and if so, did you notice better sq than using BT? I am wondering if the dual usage is viable - BT on the move and wired at home using external amp/dac?

Nov 4, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #195 of 1,056
Interesting .. Because Dali's own whitepaper at http://www.sound-pixel.com/files/product_pdf/DALI IO whitepaper_EN 10-09-2019_0.pdf says: "ANC OFF: All noise cancellation functions are switched off. IO-6 battery life is significantly improved when ANC is switched off" at the bottom of page 10 ... :)

Well that's weird, because our resident Dali rep says otherwise.

I have had our Product Manager (headphones) reply to your questions. Here's his replies in the same order. :)

- At the moment we have not planned an app as we are unsure of which value it would add, and there are not many settings were it would make sense to change it.
- On the IO-6 the ANC chip is also the amplifier and it almost uses the same energy regardless if ANC is ON or OFF. So Battery life of IO-6 is always around 30 hrs.
- We considered it but after doing a user study decided not to do this as most people won’t use it and prefer the normal way of pairing BT devices ( what they are used to)
- The IO will remember up to four devices
- No, the IO’s only support one BT connection at the time.
- The IO have Class 1 support
- It is a Qualcomm solution in order to run aptX, the exact chipset details we cannot disclose.
- The D/A convertion is handled by the front-end BT chip. On USB it’ll support 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 96kHz.
- The 3,5mm cable is just a straign stereo cable. In passive mode ( OFF or with empty battery) play back will work, just as any passive headphone.
- The Multi-button( logo on the right hand cup) controls Play/Pause, skip track, take call, and it held down it’ll activate Siri/ google assistant.
- They are available at Richer Sounds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back