DAC with volume knob for active speakers (<300$)
Mar 5, 2012 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

w00tw00t

New Head-Fier
Hello, my first post here :)

I'm looking for a DAC with a headphone jack, a volume knob, analog RCA out and optical/coaxial in. My main purpose is to use the DAC with my PC and my active studiospeakers (via RCA-out). Secondly connecting my headphones, some of the middle AKG products (150-200$).

What I want is to use the DAC as an "external soundcard" and the possibility to adjust the volume on the speakers, in other words, NOT fixed RCA outputs. I want this because my speakers doesn't have any volumecontrol. However, I could solve this problem by purchasing a standalone passive volumepot but I would like to have an "all-in-one" solution.

My budget is quite low, max 300$/220€.

The DAC however, need one optical/coaxial input and not just USB. I need to be able to connect the DAC via my internal soundcard to able to adjust some EQ-settings, which I cannot via USB.

I have been looking for some models and need some help which one to choose, and if they can do what I asking for.

Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 ( http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_d1 ) (according to the site: "volume control is provided for all outputs". Confirmed)

Audioengine D1 ( http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-D1 ) (waiting answer from audioengine support, quite sure is possible EDIT: "The D1s volume knob will adjust the output of both the RCAs as well as the headphone out.  When headphones are plugged in the RCAs are automatically muted.")

AUNE X1 (unconfirmed if its possible to adjust volume of the RCA-output)

Please help me with what device to choose, and feel free to tip about other DAC's and their quality of both sound and built.

Regards. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 11

You don't have to pay that much.  The two DACs below have headphone amps and variable line-out

Audinst HUD MX-1 ($179)
Audiotrak Cube ($99)

Thanks for the answer. I have been looking on both these, but the coax/optical are outputs and not inputs 
frown.gif
 When using USB, I will not have the ability to EQ via my computer-soundcard (I guess?).

If you have space on your desk, I love my TubeMagic D1. Great, cheap DAC/AMP with a nice tube out so you can add on further down the line.

Yeah, the big con on that one is the size. But I have the space, so thats not a big problem :) Can you confirm that the volume knob can adjust the volume on speakers connected to RCA-outputs? EDIT: Since it has a "direct volume bypass-button" I guess that pretty much confirm that its possible to adjust speaker volumes :wink:

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:

Yeah, the big con on that one is the size. But I have the space, so thats not a big problem :) Can you confirm that the volume knob can adjust the volume on speakers connected to RCA-outputs? EDIT: Since it has a "direct volume bypass-button" I guess that pretty much confirm that its possible to adjust speaker volumes :wink:

Yup!

I have everyone of their products, and they are all quite decent for the price as well as VERY modder friendly.

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #7 of 11
Have you considered starting with a Logitech Touch? You could stream the music via wi-fi and use the variable out, later as you get more funds you could add an external DAC via optical/coaxial from the Touch.

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Audio-gd NFB-12 should fit the bill.  I love mine. $200 plus shipping.

I have read a litte about this one too. Overall good feedback, adding it to the list.

Quote:
Yup!

I have everyone of their products, and they are all quite decent for the price as well as VERY modder friendly.

Sweet! Maybe I'll just go for the maverick, despite the size :wink:

Quote:
Have you considered starting with a Logitech Touch? You could stream the music via wi-fi and use the variable out, later as you get more funds you could add an external DAC via optical/coaxial from the Touch.

Na, I won't but any logitech products.. :)

No one knows anything about the AUNE X1?

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #9 of 11
Just got answer from Audioengine about the D1 DAC.

Quote Audioengine:
The D1s volume knob will adjust the output of both the RCAs as well as the headphone out. When headphones are plugged in the RCAs are automatically muted.

At the moment the Audioengine D1 seems like a good buy. Too bad the won't ship outside US :/

Review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/581815/review-audioengine-d1-24-96-usb-and-optical-dac-amp-for-laptops-and-computers-in-progress

Any other suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back