DAC with SDHC reader
May 6, 2010 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SonOfFree

New Head-Fier
Hi, it's my first time here; I'm looking for something like a DAC/amp that can read SDHC. I'm not searching an intere Hi-Fi system, only a compact "thing" that can read mp3 or flac from the card and make sound well my headphones. If it has a usb to plug my pc, it will be fantastic. Is it anything like this in the market?

(sorry for my english, I'm italian!)

May 6, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 8
Welcome. I don't know about any product having what you are looking for. Why don't you consider a DAP with SDHC support (Sansa Fuze for instance)?. Another possibility could be to install a SDHC reader in your computer and use a USB/Optical DAC.

May 6, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Welcome. I don't know about any product having what you are looking for. Why don't you consider a DAP with SDHC support (Sansa Fuze for instance)?. Another possibility could be to install a SDHC reader in your computer and use a USB/Optical DAC.

Now I have a Cowon D2, but when I use with my sennheiser 555 I'm close to the max volume. And for the usb dac, I've tought to buy a fiio e7 when it come out, but, waiting for some more reviews, I was searching for something else.

Quote:
The new squeezebox Touch has a DAC, a headphone out and a cardreader. How sound quality is I don't know.

Sounds good! I'll give a look, thanks!

May 6, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:

Now I have a Cowon D2, but when I use with my sennheiser 555 I'm close to the max volume. And for the usb dac, I've tought to buy a fiio e7 when it come out, but, waiting for some more reviews, I was searching for something else.

Quote:
The new squeezebox Touch has a DAC, a headphone out and a cardreader. How sound quality is I don't know.

May 6, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote: Originally Posted by mudo View Post Welcome. I don't know about any product having what you are looking for. Why don't you consider a DAP with SDHC support (Sansa Fuze for instance)?. Another possibility could be to install a SDHC reader in your computer and use a USB/Optical DAC.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kane-DK View Post The new squeezebox Touch has a DAC, a headphone out and a cardreader. How sound quality is I don't know.

Jul 21, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #8 of 8
SonOfFree probably found something by now but for anyone else wondering, I have to recommend the Hifiman HF-801.
It works as a USB DAC and SDHC card player, and has an internal modular headphone amplifier.
It is the size of a 90's walkman but all-in-one  with high quality Burr Brown 1704UK DAC and a line out to bypass the internal amp as needed.
Sound wise? Indeed! This is a great match to my Denon AH-D7000; full sounding, organic, very musical and non fatiguing... And because portability and simplicity (no extra bulk or additional cable cluster) are a must for me, it really answered all my needs (at about twice as less my original budget for separates!)
I suspect there is "better" sound signatures in separates out there but likely not for $790 (the Hifiman's cost) and certainly nothing that portable. 
My two cents? Spend less, move more and enjoy musicality anywhere
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back