DAC and Amplifer for AKG k702. Tough choice for 500$~
Jan 18, 2013 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

damex

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
 im new here and was looking for last few days for product that can fullfill my needs. Today i'v just registered here to ask for advice about product(s) that can work out for me.

I have AKG k702 headphones. I was trying it (actually it was a friendly recommendation) at the shop with "Kansas - Carry on my wayward son" and "Scorpions - Wind of Change" on iPod Touch 4(Sadly i had no other device to try them with.). It was "love at first sight".

I also readed at the threads here and all over the internet. They say that my headphones HARD to "drive".
 Im using it with Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro and want to throw that sound card away, but i don't have better device to use them with.
 So i want something that can "drive" them at my home (do not need it to be portable.). That DAC need to be able to receive digital signal (TOSLINK?) and should not be powered over USB.
 My budget around 500$~ (I can make it a bit higher but it will take some time to wait) for DAC _and_ Amplifer (Want them to be separated devices).
 Please, recommend me something that i can be satisfied with.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 9
Around $500-$600 you can get a used pro hps amp like the SPL Auditor. If you're using a tower PC get the RME 9632 as your sound card. In your budget range try to get them both as used.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Hello,
 im new here and was looking for last few days for product that can fullfill my needs. Today i'v just registered here to ask for advice about product(s) that can work out for me.

I have AKG k702 headphones. I was trying it (actually it was a friendly recommendation) at the shop with "Kansas - Carry on my wayward son" and "Scorpions - Wind of Change" on iPod Touch 4(Sadly i had no other device to try them with.). It was "love at first sight".

I also readed at the threads here and all over the internet. They say that my headphones HARD to "drive".
 Im using it with Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro and want to throw that sound card away, but i don't have better device to use them with.
 So i want something that can "drive" them at my home (do not need it to be portable.). That DAC need to be able to receive digital signal (TOSLINK?) and should not be powered over USB.
 My budget around 500$~ (I can make it a bit higher but it will take some time to wait) for DAC _and_ Amplifer (Want them to be separated devices).
 Please, recommend me something that i can be satisfied with.

Heya,

Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (tube DAC) with a Schiit Asgard or Magni or JDS Labs Objective 2.

Very best,

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 9
thx for the replies.

Quote:
Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (tube DAC)

should i pick "Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC w/ OPA627 OpAmp Upgrade & GE5670W tube"?

Schiit Asgard or Magni

sorry, but they ask for delivery (Europe) nearly same as device cost and it can't be found on ebay for reasonable price.

JDS Labs Objective 2.

why JDS Labs? i'v found out that Objective2 is a good (or i'd say awesome) amp for its price and there is few distributors of such amp and device will cost me around 200$ and more then month-two waiting if i would get it from them.

i think i can get (if they accept paypal) stock versions of Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 + D2 for my budget including delivery. should i get it? maybe i should wait a bit and pay for "upgraded tubes and opamps"? they ask 80$ more for both upgraded versions.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 9
If your on a super tight budget. E9 and E17 or the upgraded versions. I used the E9 and E17 for a while and I was happy with that. 

However i'm sure the ODAC + O2 would definitely be better at a similar price.

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
JDS Labs Objective 2.

why JDS Labs? i'v found out that Objective2 is a good (or i'd say awesome) amp for its price and there is few distributors of such amp and device will cost me around 200$ and more then month-two waiting if i would get it from them.

Why JDS Labs? They have a good web site, their prices are reasonable, and they ship quickly. They also have a reputation for good customer service. I haven't needed any service.

Why not JDS Labs? The O2 is also distributed in the UK and Switzerland. I don't know about price or availability.

I bought my ODAC+O2 combo from JDS. They'd be my first choice if I buy another.

Originally Posted by damex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i think i can get (if they accept paypal) stock versions of Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 + D2 for my budget including delivery. should i get it? maybe i should wait a bit and pay for "upgraded tubes and opamps"? they ask 80$ more for both upgraded versions.

If you think the O2 is awesome, why not consider the ODAC by the same designer? (US$149 from JDS!)

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 9

If you think the O2 is awesome, why not consider the ODAC by the same designer? (US$149 from JDS!)

because i still think about issues with USB powered audio devices and wanted to get one that powered separately.
i also wanted device to have digital input via toslink.

anyway, thx for advice ... i'v rechecked comparison around ODAC and decided to order (and ordered) ODAC+O2 devices from Switzerland distributor.
will Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 outperform ODAC? i still want DAC with TOSLINK and separate power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back