Dac/Amp to go with Grado RS-2s
Aug 7, 2012 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

matt120

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys

I've had to dig my headphones out again since moving from a detached house to a flat and well they just aren't cutting it compared to my last speaker set up.

My current rig is Foobar/FLAC -> Emu 0404 USB -> Modded HeedCanamp -> Grado RS-2s but the combo just isn't making me smile, all sounds too dry and fatiguing

I'm not sure if I should upgrade to say an M-DAC with its built in amp or an Audio-gd NFB-5.  I would like to be able to drive active monitors at a later date.

Any input would be greatly received. 

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanksf or the feedback, have you heard the M-DAC for comparison, I know it's twice the price of the NFB-15, how does it compare to the NFB-5?

Cheers

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 13
If price is no object, you'll like the HA-160D. Warm amp, not fatiguing sound. 

You can use active monitors with it. 

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 13
I think the 160D is a little out of range

I emailed AudioGD saying I'd like to go for the NFB5.2 to which he came back saying you can nowhve a 32bit upgrade for free but then I noticed the NFB 11.32 which has the Saber DAC in it like the MDac...too many options

Kingwa said the 11.32 is more transparent and neutral where as the 5.2 is smoother and warmer which I think will suit Grasps better...any thoughts?

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #8 of 13
Hey Matt,

Well, since I posted in this thread about the NFB-15.1 & NFB-16 being great with Grados, I have since acquired the NFB-11.32 as well.  I spent some good quality time the last couple days with it and Grados and have to say it's great indeed.  I was worried about the Sabre chip and Grados being too analytical-sounding and fatiguing, but the result was a very detailed, and full-bodied presentation.

Cheers!

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #9 of 13
So basically I can't go wrong haha

Which did you feel gave a more enjoyble listening experience, or would you keep if you were only allowed one amp :) Also what genre of music do you listen to

I'm soooo close to purchasing one or the other but can't quite decide

Many thanks again

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #10 of 13
Just lurking,
thinking about picking up a pair of RS-2i and and M-DAC myself...........
popcorn.gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
So basically I can't go wrong haha

Which did you feel gave a more enjoyble listening experience, or would you keep if you were only allowed one amp :) Also what genre of music do you listen to

I'm soooo close to purchasing one or the other but can't quite decide

Many thanks again

LOL...Nope, you can't go wrong.  Great sound coming out of each one....
beerchug.gif

The genres I listen to- rock, metal, house, trance, dubstep, hip-hop.

If I had to choose only one I would go with the NFB-11.32.  In 2010 the initial NFB-11 came out but the usb implementation was having problems with the Sabre chip. So I waited and waited and Kingwa stayed with it and produced the 11.32.  I jumped on the initial pre-order and it was well worth the wait.

I started two delivery and impression threads (11.32 & 15.1) in the computer sub forum if you want to take a look.

Cheers!!!

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #12 of 13
Now there is the Compass 2 that lets you switch out dacs and opamps

Arrgghhh I'm going crazy with the choices!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back