DAC/AMP suggestions
May 14, 2011 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

JAG07

New Head-Fier
Looking for an AMP or DAC/AMP that can be transported in a backpack to and from school. 
Prefer battery or USB powered, don't want to have to plug into a wall.
Powerful enough for the AKG K271s or K702s (if there is such a beast)
Price below 300. That's as much as my wallet can spare at the moment. 

I've been looking at the ibasso D6, D12, D2+. Also the Fiio E7. I'm pretty ignorant of any other brand and model. I'm also not positive on the finer details of the ibasso models. any suggestions or knowledge would be a great help.

Thanks

May 15, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 10
The D6 will probably be your best bet as it has the most driving power of the list.  The D12 seems to have little bit better battery life.

May 15, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 10
The above amps you were looking at are all pretty well regarded and good options.  The D6 probably has the most power output of those. 

The Leckerton UHA-4 and UHA-6 are both worth a look at, as well, and both are under $300.  Assuming that this is for a laptop, maybe also check out the uDac2 too.

May 17, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the new lead on a amp. 
Yes this will be for a laptop. I took a look at the uDac2 and it seems to get decent reviews and the price is pretty good. Only worried that it won't have enough power. 
Thanks for your suggestions.

May 20, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
The above amps you were looking at are all pretty well regarded and good options.  The D6 probably has the most power output of those. 

The Leckerton UHA-4 and UHA-6 are both worth a look at, as well, and both are under $300.  Assuming that this is for a laptop, maybe also check out the uDac2 too.

I just received a UHA-4 and plugged my K701s into it.  I can't say I recommend it.  I'm now planning to return the UHA-4 and try to find something with more power.  I'm in pretty much the same boat as OP, so I'll be watching this thread closely. 

May 20, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
I just received a UHA-4 and plugged my K701s into it.  I can't say I recommend it.  I'm now planning to return the UHA-4 and try to find something with more power.  I'm in pretty much the same boat as OP, so I'll be watching this thread closely. 

Try a portable speaker amp, lol!
(Isn't Headamp working on something like that?)

May 22, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 10
Need some advice. I think I have narrowed down my amp/dac choices

Practical devices XM5 (should I change the opamps?)
ibasso D6 or D12

Can anyone suggest one or the other? I can't find any reason to choose one or the other. I guess except for the power that the D6 provides.

Thanks for any help

May 22, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #9 of 10
D6 will be considerably more powerful than the XM5, and it has twin Wolfson DAC chips - no-brainer for mine, regardless of the versatility of the XM5.

Just be warned - the D6 has 50mW per channel more power than my P4 and the latter scared the bejeesus out of me when I stupidly turned it on with my headphones on my head. Be very careful - nothing more than 9am and turn it on before you put your headphones on, especially if you use IEMs.

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #10 of 10
THe question is, DO you want to pay the money for the bells and whistles that come with the Xm5 or do you want to save a couple bucks and go with something a little less versatile but about equaly fueled as the Ibasso ( I recently had to make this choice between the Ibasso and the Xm6... sometimes I wish i went with the Xm6, although; sometimes I went with the Fiio 17 and saved even more to apply it towards better connecting cables. It all depends if you are trying to supply power to a pair of 32 ohm IEM's or a pair of 250 ohm beyers. :wink: In my humble opinion. I went D6 with my senn 650's and it was pretty magical, then I switched to Dennon D5000's and it is a pretty positive match also, but I would much rather have a dedicated home dac/ amp if i wasn't so concerned with portability .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back