Dac/Amp for my senn hd25's
Jul 15, 2010 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

fcpchop88

100+ Head-Fier
Hello head-fi community, I recently got pair of sennheiser hd-25 1-ii headphones which I have been completely addicted to since. I have a sansa clip+ rockboxed playing mostly flac files with a fiio e5 for now, figured I'd start small, I'll soon get an older version ipod to rockbox with a lod. I have noticed when the headphones are plugged into the computer they lack in comparison to when I have them plugged into my sony stereo receiver. This brings me to the conclusion that I could really use a dac/amp combo.  First off I would like to know if the dac/amp is going to give better sq and power than the stereo receiver. Next which dac/amp should I get for around 150$ USD? There seems to be quite a few options varying in price. The Fiio e7 or Nuforce Icon mobile for >100$, random Chinese ones found on ebay like this one for 120$ that seems like a pretty good deal considering it comes with a spdif input for rca and for 15$ a second dac chip. Or there's the Ibasso D2 boa which with shipping comes to almost 200 which is more than I wanted to spend. Any other options of opinions?

Edit: I should add I would like it to be somewhat portable for when needed, but it's mostly staying home so not absolutely necessary, if I'm getting much better quality from a non portable I'll definitely consider. Also looking at total bithead

Jul 15, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 2
while the hd25 isn't a terribly hard to drive headphone, i've read multiple times that it needs a pretty decent amount of amplification to come alive.

an ibasso might do the trick.
but, if i were in your shoes (knowing what i know now), i would go with wall powered gear at this point.
you want the best sound you can get, and usb powered or portable gear is going to be a toss-up as to whether it will beat out your home receiver.

look up these:

audio-gd sparrow
audinst hud mx-1

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back