DAC/Amp for MDR v6s and Denon d2000
Dec 5, 2012 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

deo7

New Head-Fier
I own a pair of MDR v6s and I'm thinking about getting a pair of Denon d2000s.  I want to get a decent DAC/amp (~$200) that would be great for the denons, while still helping the v6's sound great.  Is that possible?  I've heard tube amps are good for the Denons, though I've never owned one before.  how good is the Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier?  Any help would be amazing, as I'm relatively new to headphone hifi.  :wink:  Thanks!

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #2 of 5
Hi deo7,

I've always thought that solid states were preferred over tube amps when it comes to the Denons but I could be wrong. This thread may help you in choosing an AMP/DAC. One thing I know for sure is the Fiio e9 will hiss a LOT when paired with the Denon D2Ks, it was my first amplifier and I replaced them within a week.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/619181/list-opinion-amp-recommendations-for-denon-headphones

Hope this helps

James

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 5
They're easy to drive, so it doesn't matter. Look for something with switchable crossfeed if you want to actually hear a difference. Otherwise, it's all pretty much just placebo. (Unlike with some higher-impedance cans like Senn 580/600/650, which actually need greater voltage swing than most headphone jacks will provide. Amps often do make an actual audible difference on those phones, though any amp with sufficient voltage swing will sound basically the same except for the effect of whatever other processing - crossfeed, EQ, etc - it has)

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I own a pair of MDR v6s and I'm thinking about getting a pair of Denon d2000s.  I want to get a decent DAC/amp (~$200) that would be great for the denons, while still helping the v6's sound great.  Is that possible?  I've heard tube amps are good for the Denons, though I've never owned one before.  how good is the Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier?  Any help would be amazing, as I'm relatively new to headphone hifi.  :wink:  Thanks!

I would say go for the O2 (Objective 2) headphone amplifier, $155, it has a low impedance (.5-Ohm) which should work well with low Ohm headphone (25-Ohm Denon AH-D2000).
And I'm sure the 60-Ohm MDR-V6 will sound nice too.
What source(s) are you plugging the headphones and DAC/Amp into?

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 5
I have the  d2000s and have had poor results with two different tube amps: first,  the hifiman you referenced  and now my Schiit  Valhalla. Best example is DSOTM which quickly turns into a major bass fartfest.  My experience is that the 2000s are better un-amped                           

Users who are viewing this thread

Back