DAC/amp for K701
Jul 31, 2011 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

grmnasasin0227

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, just joined today, been hearing great stuff about this forum for several months. I'm looking for suggestions for a DAC/amp combo to drive my AKG K701s. Currently they're only running off of an Auzentech Forte sound card (which DOES have an amp built in, but definitely doesn't do the whole job). I've heard a few people say that these cans can be a real pain to properly drive, so I figured instead of looking at vendors and trying to guess what would work with specifications (I have no way of testing anything before I buy), I'd ask here and try to get my options more narrowed down. This will be my first DAC/amp, so I'm indifferent if it runs on USB or S/PDIF as long as there's negligible difference or a proper distinction is made. I have a budget of about $500, but can push it to $600 if there's a worthwhile upgrade just out of reach. I'm not entirely sure what other questions you'll need answered, so I'll leave it here. Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 3
You should go with desktop gear for K701.  If you want to remain portable, it may be worthwhile to downgrade to AD900 or K601.

Edit: So it was in the wrong forum before? lol

Now I recommend a used M-Stage, and then get an Audio-gd NFB-3 DAC.  That will push you close to $600, and a killer rig at that.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 3
Matrix Quattro AMPs+DAC, Matrix M Stage+Mini i, Yulong D100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back